This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Garff knicked me for $47 for an emissions inspection

Bought an '07 GX from Ken Garff SLC earlier this week and among other questionable fees at closing was one for $47 for emissions inspection. Isn't there an exemption for CNG vehicles? Besides charging double the going rate for such an inspection, was I gypped in a more fundamental way? Weigh in please.

Re: Ken Garff knicked me for $47 for an emissions inspection

Welcome to CNGchat huffer!
    Utah does not exempt CNG vehicles from emissions inspections. Pennsylvania does, however (dedicated vehicles only, no bi-fuel). I'm going to move this thread to the Utah forum for local folks to chime in there.

Comment

Yup, you gotta follow any other vehicle's requirements. Here's the site:

http://dmv.utah.gov/registerinspections.html

Davis and Weber counties have limits as to how much they can charge for it, SL and Utah do not, though it's usually about $25. That's a dealership for ya.

Comment

That's a reasonable price for a dealership. I paid more than that around 20 years ago to smog my Ford Ranger at a dealership, and it didn't even pass, and estimated the repairs over the 250$ limit (at the time of course) and then had to go to a referee station to be smogged again. The next time I smogged it they de-tuned it to pass, then tuned it back to factory specs.
        The cheapest place here in town is 30$ and they charge 50$ to do my Astro Van, and I have to remove the doghouse myself.
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

CA exempts bigger CNG vehicles, but not cars or pickups. Around here we have a few Pass or Don't Pay stations that charge about $35 but if there's a problem you don't pay (and they have an incentive to get it to pass).
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Hmm that might be a dollar or two too high. I assume you are looking at line 25 of your Motor Vehicle Contract of Sale. It says STATE INSPECTION/EMISSION TEST. It is a combined fee for both. The dealership competing dealership that I work for charges $42. You'll find most emission shops and car dealerships are within a couple dollars of one another.

( Thread closed by staff. it was drifting off topic. The Brake pad discussion has a new thread in "The Lounge" follow it here: http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5122 )
            Last edited by Lakewood90712; 06-22-2009, 10:59 PM. Reason: Mod note

Comment

Working...
            X