ASE Certified Inspectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASE Certified Inspectors?

Does anyone know if there are any ASE Certified Inspectors in the state of Utah? I bought a cng converted Ford Ranger and would like to claim the Utah State Clean Fuels Tax Credit if possible.

Thanks,

Re: ASE Certified Inspectors?

I will PM you the contact info for an inspector I've been using for my tank inspections but I don't believe you need an ASE Certified Inspector for the conversion. The biggest sticking point is that it must be EPA certified to get the credit.

Check out this link:
    http://www.airquality.utah.gov/Plann...edit_QA.htm#q3

The following snip is from that link:

The conversion must be EPA certified. Under R307-121-4 (6) andR307-121-5(7) the proof of certification required in 59-10-1009(1)(b) or 59-7-605(1)(b) refers to the copy of the EPA certification for the conversion. This means that the manufacturer of the conversion equipment has to get the conversion equipment tested on your type of vehicle and supply you with a Certificate of Conformity indicating that the conversion conforms with EPA standards.

If a Certificate of Conformity is not available for your vehicle, testing is allowed by statute -- subject to the criteria in 40 C.F.R. Part 86 -- to obtain an EPA Certificate of Conformity. Such tests would need to be performed at a special facility (some of which can be found here http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/lablist.pdf PDF file).
    2004 Toyota Avalon bi-fuel
    2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

Hello oldgeeezers,

There are two different certs. ASE does have a CNG Technician cert, F-1, but that's if you need someone to work on your car.

If you want someone to inspect it, that's CSA America that certifies CNG Fuel System Inspectors. Now to complicate it a little more, CSA has just updated their program. The old cert was just called CNG Cylinder Inspector.

Go to:
      http://peoplesearch.csa-america.org/ Search on the latest program, CNG Fuel System Inspector, then select USA and Utah. This should give you about 30 current inspectors to choose from.

Good luck,

afvman

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeeezers View Post
        Does anyone know if there are any ASE Certified Inspectors in the state of Utah? I bought a cng converted Ford Ranger and would like to claim the Utah State Clean Fuels Tax Credit if possible.

Thanks,
        Oldgeeezers,

I believe the following is the requirement that you are trying to fulfill from the Division of Air Quality website:

Required documentation to demonstrate eligibility for OEM Vehicles:

1. You will need to provide a copy of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin or equivalent manufacturer's documentation showing that the vehicle is an OEM alternative fuel vehicle, or a signed statement by an Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certified technician that includes the vehicle identification number (VIN) and states that the vehicle is an eligible OEM alternative fuel vehicle.
        2. You will also need to provide an original or copy of the purchase order, customer invoice, or receipt including the vehicle identification number (VIN)
        3. Finally you will need to provide a copy of the current Utah vehicle registration.

Required documentation to demonstrate eligibility for Vehicles Converted to Clean Fuels.

1. You will need to provide the vehicle identification number (VIN).
        2. You will also need to provide the fuel type before and after the conversion.
        3. If the vehicle is registered within a county with an inspection and maintenance (I/M) program, you will need to provide a copy of the vehicle inspection report from an approved station showing that the converted clean fuel vehicle meets all county emissions requirements for all installed fuel systems, or in all other areas of the State you will need to provide a signed statement by an ASE certified technician that includes the VIN and states that the conversion is functional.
        4. You will also need to provide the name of the conversion equipment manufacturer, the conversion equipment model number, the date of the conversion, and the name, address, and phone number of the person that converted the vehicle.
        5. You will also need to provide proof of certification required in 59-10-1009(1)(b) or 59-7-605(1)(b).
        6. You will also need to provide an original or copy of the purchase order, customer invoice, or receipt.
        7. Finally, you will need to provide a copy of the current Utah vehicle registration.

Most dealerships have ASE certified technicians. I'm sure any Ford dealership would willing to look your vehicle over and sign off that it runs on gasoline and CNG. If the CNG on the Ford Ranger is an OEM, then the Ford dealership could also provide the documentation of that as well. With the Chevrolet it is known as a "vehicle build sheet". This shows the option codes of the vehicle, and one of those codes is the CNG option. If the Ford Ranger is an aftermarket conversion, then you will need to provide information about the conversion namely: who, when, where, and that it is EPA certified.

Good Luck.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier
        2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
        X