• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy now?

Hi all!

New to forum and new to CNG.

Considering an older (13 years old) van from CNGutah.com here:

http://www.cngutah.com/forsale/136/main.html

However, after reading through the forum and talking to my mechanic (who mentioned possible price increases) I'm beginning to doubt.

I can't install an at-home pump (no gas to home presently) and so long lines at filing stations would also be a problem... I live in Draper...

If you were not already invested in CNG, would you buy now?

My thanks for your advice,

JB

Re: Would you buy now?

There are positives and negatives (watch outs shall we say) to weigh this through.

#1 positive is getting CNG vehicles on the road in the quad counties to help the serious pollution troubles.

#2 CNG historically lower than gas

#3 State tax credit

#4 CNG vehicles prices are favorably low in general at this point in time with probably increast to $2.50 a gal. gasoline or higher by summer's end.

I recommend anybody who possibly can should have getting a CNG vehicle high on the list.

#1 (watch out) especially for the vehicle you are looking at is model year 1996 will have CNG tank(s) expiring probably Dec. 2010 since the tanks installed in that time frame were normally DOT certified for only 15 years max with no recertification allowed.

I work in Draper and live in Orem and drive a dedicated CNG crown vic to work pretty much 5 days a week and have done so for the last 11 months without ever running out of fuel, but I live 1 mile from the CNG pump off of center St. in Orem. You should shortly ( maybe as soon as this evening 4/24/09) have available the Sandy station just off of 90th I-15 with a new compressor. You will also probably want to sign up for the State of Utah Fuel card so you can have access to the Jordan School Dist. pumps off of 94th S., but the price is 98 cents at most stations and the STate pumps are running at $1.27... I believe.

Finally, I like the people at CNGUTAH ... they are good guys and have some quality vehicles. I bought my first CNG vehicle from them and when it was found within 48 hrs. to have a serious problem they immediately resolved the situation to my complete satisfaction. Don't hesitate to get into CNG I think it is one of the smartest moves anyone in the U. S. can make during these bad times.

Comment

I agree. It's not an option for everyone, but for those willing to adjust their driving a bit it's great. I've owned lots of cars and my GX is my favorite. I have never regretted switching to CNG.

As for lines, I never encounter any. Am I alone in this? I usually fill at Jordan School Dist and if I fill in the afternoon I sometimes have to wait for a bus or two to fill on diesel and that's it.

The state pumps have come back to commercial prices but there is a chance for discrepancy in the future. It's still one of the best fills in town. Though I am excited for Sandy to come back online.

Comment

I think now is a great time to buy a cng vehicle. Prices are low and it looks like the fueling infrastructure here in Utah is only getting better.

My problem with that particular van is it's age. It has 4 tanks that will expire in less than three years. Replacement is not even remotely cost effective. If you can put on enough miles by then to make the numbers work then go for it. If not, find a younger one instead.

Comment

Thank you all very much, the expiration of the tanks was not on my radar, and makes the cost of the van go much higher...

I won't get that cost savings in the next year, that's for sure.

What is a ballpark figure for the replacement cost of the tanks? A couple of thousand I'm guessing...?

Comment

Possible price increases? Of COURSE the price will increase. Will it ever get as high as gasoline? Possibly, for very short periods, but in the long term gasoline is going to trend upward more quickly than CNG. It's simple supply and demand. NG supply is increasing, crude oil supply is dwindling. Demand for oil worldwide is skyrocketing, NG demand is rising more slowly.

Eventually they'll add the full load of taxes to a gallon of CNG, but at this point we're still talking about $1.20 to $1.40 a gallon. That's a bargain.

Another factor to consider: Allowing natural gas prices to rise to the point that people FREEZE TO DEATH in the winter is a political poison pill. The government will never allow it.

Comment

I have owned two cng cars and still own one.

I bought primarily because of my anger over foreign control of my fuel dollars.
              Secondarily because I am not polluting the air, but my choice makes zero impact on the reality of the situation.

So its been 18 months now and I do feel better that I drive around without pumping dollars into a very broken crude oil ecosystem and without pumping crap into an already smoggy skyline.

That said, I wouldn't buy right cng right now.

My frustration with foreign owned interests controlling my pocketbook is now replaced with my frustration with a CNG network of problems. I am not sure which source of frustration caused me more grief frankly.

CNG has its own set of headaches, fueling stations, government decisions, corporate hubris, DOT crap, tax forms, lies, more lies and marketing, blah blah blah.

You pay more for CNG especially if you buy new, and sometimes when you buy used, service on your vehicle is limited, infrastructure is poor at best, and I have yet to drive in a CNG car that i thought was fun to drive (I currently own a 2009 civic).

My two cents

Comment

My advise...do the MATH.

Unfortunately, CNG is not for everyone. There are many instances where gasoline has its advantages over CNG even when it is $4/gal. The following are things to consider when you are "doing the math":

1. Calculate how many miles you drive daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. The more miles you drive, the more feasible CNG becomes.

2. Location, location, location. If you don't have "a few" stations within reasonable distance then CNG might not feasible. I say "a few" because filling stations are offline sometimes. It's good to have more than one filling station close by.

3. If you make the decision to go with CNG, then do you buy a bi-fuel or go dedicated? Each one has its advantages and disadvantages:

Bi-Fuel
                Advantages
                You can use gasoline. If a CNG station is down, you can always run on gasoline to get to the next station. Tax credit still applies to bi-fuel vehicles.
                Disadvantages
                Two fuel systems to maintain. More components to fix when broken. Single occupant HOV lane access is denied.

Dedicated
                Advantages
                One fuel system to maintain. Single occupant HOV lane access Federal tax credit might be available.
                Disadvantages
                You don't have gasoline. If a station is offline, then you are either stuck or maybe you can make it to the next station.

Like I said, do the math. Let the numbers tell you that it is the right thing for you.

For me, I drive 60 - 70 miles a day and have three stations along my commute (Clearfield, Ogden, and Brigham City). I drive a bi-fuel vehicle. I don't need the single occupant HOV lane access. If I go to St. George or Las Vegas, I can go worry free because I always have gasoline if a station is down.

Good luck.
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier
                2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by CNG4RD View Post
                  CNG has its own set of headaches, fueling stations, government decisions, corporate hubris, DOT crap, tax forms, lies, more lies and marketing, blah blah blah.
                  CNG4RD,

Can you be specific about these headaches, DOT crap, and lies? What is so disappointing about CNG other than pulling up to a fueling station only to have little to no pressure?
                  Jared.
                  Mountain Green, Utah
                  2003 CNG Cavalier
                  2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If i had to guess, I'd say he was frustrated because he probably had an illegal conversion, and felt robbed when it was cracked down on. Again, just my guess, and it is the only reason I can think of for being hostile towards the situation (at least out there in Utah).
                    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Working...
                    X