Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the pressure at the SLC Airport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the pressure at the SLC Airport?

I've been filling up at the airport twice a week for almost a year. About two weeks ago someone must have made some adjustments to the pumps there because now the pump "clamps down" at between 2700 and 3000 PSI. Now even if the system has adequate pressure, it stops dispensing before it reaches 3000 PSI.

It used to be that if the pressure was adequate, the system wouldn't "clamp down" and stop filling until it reached 3300 - 3400 PSI. Now, even when filling up on off-peak hours, you can never get over 3000 PSI.

It sucks. Is there anything we can do about it?

Re: What happened to the pressure at the SLC Airport?

I'm wondering the same thing. I've done 99% of my filling there for the past year. They did have the best pressure in town. Now the barely 3000 PSI fill before my weekend is barely getting me through my days off work.

I do know Questar maintains the pumps so maybe a call to them will get a tech out there to adjust the pumps. I've seen him there in the past.

Comment

could it be they cut the pressure because tanks exploding in the news and they are trying to avoid getting sued just a thought

Comment

I don't know what has happened but I have noticed the same drop in pressure. The airport was my favorite station.

Comment

I've noticed it as well. Used to be a solid 3400-3500 psi fill. Now lucky to get 3000. I was able to get 220 miles per tank before, now, not so much. Makes the difference between filling every three days or two.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus View Post
            I've noticed it as well. Used to be a solid 3400-3500 psi fill. Now lucky to get 3000. I was able to get 220 miles per tank before, now, not so much. Makes the difference between filling every three days or two.
            I spoke to a high up at Questar that is a friend of mine and he said that they are waiting for a part and should be fixed in two weeks. I noticed it as well and now fill Questar or Woods Cross on my way home. I agree, Airport is normally always reliable. At least it is being fixed!

Comment

Hey, that's good to know. I'll give a try again sometime next month.

I've been filling at the tesoro on north temple as an alternative. It works ok for me there, because I am usually filling up after 10 pm, or before 6 am, so the pressure is decent...

Comment

Originally posted by segeln4me View Post
                I spoke to a high up at Questar that is a friend of mine and he said that they are waiting for a part and should be fixed in two weeks. I noticed it as well and now fill Questar or Woods Cross on my way home. I agree, Airport is normally always reliable. At least it is being fixed!
                Thanks for the update! Questar has done a good job maintaining this pump. Aside from the card reader being down a few times over the last year (and that was awhile ago), this pump never lets me down. I fuel almost exclusively at the airport. Now if we could get them to take over the Murray pump and straighten that thing out...

Comment

They've obviously turned the pressure down to 3000 psi. Probably because it's on Salt Lake City property, and they are paranoid about liability. Not everybody has a 3600 psi tank, after all.

I'm surprised ALL the pumps haven't been turned down to 3000 for that same reason.

When I was in California you either had a 3000 psi pump or you had a choice between two pumps with the pressures clearly marked and all kinds of warning signs telling you not to put 3.6K in a 3K tank.

Expect this to become more widespread.

Comment

Did you guys notice that the pumps don't shut off early anymore. My complaining finally paid off, they turned the early shut off valve off and I can get a better fill again. Nice to have friends in high places (Questar).

Comment

I filled up there yesterday afternoon, and I was not impressed. It was not anything like it used to be. There is also construction taking place on the bridge leaving the airport which causes delays.

Comment

I tried filling there twice this week based on segeln4me's comments, and I was not impressed at all. Both times the pumps clamped down and shut off at about 3000 psi. I only get about 75% of the gas that I can get at other fill stations. When I drive away, my meter doesn't even register as full.

I sure wish somebody would undo whatever adjustments they made back in December.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkbenge View Post
                          I tried filling there twice this week based on segeln4me's comments, and I was not impressed at all. Both times the pumps clamped down and shut off at about 3000 psi. I only get about 75% of the gas that I can get at other fill stations. When I drive away, my meter doesn't even register as full.

I sure wish somebody would undo whatever adjustments they made back in December.
                          Sorry guys, I don't mean to misinform you. It works better for me, it used to shut off way early and it now keeps the pump on a little longer. I did notice that the traffic is not what it used to be. So that is fine with me. I do agree that the pressure there was awesome before, sometimes up to 4,000. Do you guys remember that late last year they had to evacuate that area because of a gas leak? One of those white vans was leaking badly and that is why Questar got scared and reduced the pressure there. They don't want a catastrophe out there.

Dan

Comment

I wonder which nozzle you are using to fill up segeln4me. I always use the northern (#3?) nozzle, because it is the old style. The newer nozzle (#4?) is a fatter style, and doesn't really fit into the fill-port on my cavalier very well, it makes it difficult to remove (and whenever I do, the hinge on my port cover shaves a nice chunk of blue plastic off of the side of that nozzle adapter.)

Is it possible that one of the two has changed, and if you fill at one and I fill at the other that might explain why you've noticed a difference.

KIRK

Comment

Originally posted by kirkbenge View Post
                              I wonder which nozzle you are using to fill up segeln4me. I always use the northern (#3?) nozzle, because it is the old style. The newer nozzle (#4?) is a fatter style, and doesn't really fit into the fill-port on my cavalier very well, it makes it difficult to remove (and whenever I do, the hinge on my port cover shaves a nice chunk of blue plastic off of the side of that nozzle adapter.)

Is it possible that one of the two has changed, and if you fill at one and I fill at the other that might explain why you've noticed a difference.

KIRK
                              Hi Kirk,

Nice hair by the way. I use both pumps. I used to always favor number 3 but I don't care anymore, except on the big #4 nozzle, it leaks gas when you hang it back up.

Maybe I see you out there, I have a silver 2008 Civic with custom 17" wheels. I get gas there about every other day.

Take care,

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X