CNG Fuel System/Cylinder Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG Fuel System/Cylinder Inspection

If you live in Northern Utah and are in need of a CNG Fuel System/Cylinder Inspection to pass the State Safety Inspection. I just completed certification through CSA America. I live in Roy and work in Brigham, but I am willing to travel to your home to do the inspection. Please PM or email me if you would like an inspection. Thanks.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Re: CNG Fuel System/Cylinder Inspection

Congradulation on your certification

Larrycng U0003A

Comment

I was just wondering what you and other members think the going rate for tank inspections is for the following:

1. Ford bi-fuel 1 tank in bed
      2. Ford dedicated 2 in bed, 1 under bed.
      3. GX/Contour/Cavalier 1 in trunk
      4. Crown Vic 2 in trunk 2 (hard to get to) under.
      5. Ford/Dodge van 3-4 under.
      6. DIY conversion customer installed.
      7. EPA conversion professional installed.

Thanks

Comment

Jared,
        Congrats on your impending cert. Does this mean your going to join us at Thunder in June to get some inspection practice for charity?

Karlhafen,
        I usually base my rate on my hourly shop rate ($50-70hr) plus travel.
        These are my usual base rates:
        GX = $50-100 - Have plastic panel fasteners in stock!
        F150 (2,3)= $50-100
        Crown Vic (4)= $100
        E350 (3)= $100
        B3500 (4)= $100
        E450 = $100-150
        Buses = $100-200

I usually insist the undercarriage be cleaned (not crusty and greasy) and I give fleets discounts (especially when they remove and replace the shields for me).
        Shuttle fleets and school districts are great to get contracts on, they do most of the work.

Hope this helps.

Cnghal - U3123A
        Last edited by cnghal; 04-10-2009, 03:51 PM.
        Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Jared,

Way to go! What did you think of the new test? We spent over a year in development. I'm curious to get your reaction.

How do you think it did as a criteria for minimally qualified inspectors? Did it discriminate between someone who knows what they're doing vs. someone who just wants another patch?

How do you think it compares to ASE tests? There were NO Tech A and Tech B questions! I wouldn't trust either one of those guys to work on my car!

B/R,

afvman/Bill

U0023A (but, has larrycng re-upped??? I know it's his birthday, but that's no excuse.)
          Last edited by afvman; 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Jared et al,

This borders on price fixing, but we charge a flat $150 for the first cylinder and $75 for each additional cylinder. Labor to remove and replace shielding is done at our standard shop rate...if they don't do it.

Interesting...

afvman

Comment

Bill,
              Your price sounds average from what I've heard. I try to price low to encourage the "What do you mean I have to get my tanks inspected?" crowd.
              I usually am inspecting half a dozen to two dozen vehicles at a time and at their shop with them pulling the covers, or as an added service while working on their vehicle at my shop.

As for Larry, I know he was in San Diego the other day taking the test.
              I know I'm due. When is your next class or test session? I'll be up around your parts soon. I'll at least swing by and take you out to dinner. Hopefully it won't be while your at AFVI, I assume your going.

Have a Happy Easter.
              Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Hal, et al,

I'll be teaching two classes in Phoenix May 11-13. If you're interested contact Lane Moulton, (602) 495-5183.

As for the AFVi Conference, it's too pricey for me. Besides, it's just not the same... We will be at the NAFA Show in New Orleans later this month. Better bang for the buck and this is the audience we need to target. The rest is 'preaching to the choir'.

You (and everyone else) are welcome to buy me a drink anytime you're in the area.

B/R,

afvman
                (740) 205-2107

Comment

Yes, Bill, I "re-upped" on April 1 in San Diego. Just waiting to hear from Mike with the results. I'll probably have to call him since I'm on the road and the results will be sent to Wa.

Let you know -- I don't thin I can beat your score

Larrycng from Holbrook, Az

P.S. I see Colin Monday
                  Last edited by larrycng; 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by afvman View Post
                    Jared,

Way to go! What did you think of the new test? We spent over a year in development. I'm curious to get your reaction.

How do you think it did as a criteria for minimally qualified inspectors? Did it discriminate between someone who knows what they're doing vs. someone who just wants another patch?

How do you think it compares to ASE tests? There were NO Tech A and Tech B questions! I wouldn't trust either one of those guys to work on my car!

B/R,

afvman/Bill

U0023A (but, has larrycng re-upped??? I know it's his birthday, but that's no excuse.)
                    Bill, Larry, Hal,

I thought the test was well written. You have to understand were I am coming from. I design composite overwrapped pressure vessels (COPVs) for a living. I have been doing this for the past 5 years. My boss has been doing it for that last 25-30 years. I know ANSI NGV2 like the back of my hand. I probably could have taken the exam without any training, but I wanted to learn more so I took NGVi's training course last month from Leo Thomason (I'm glad I did). It was very good. I thought I would sail through the exam. It tested me. I believe I got 52 out of 60. I thought the test separates the men from the boys. As far as the ASE tests, I cannot comment on, for I have never taken an ASE test. But if I had to chose between a CSA certified inspector versus somebody who has 2 years experience inspecting CNG cylinders (according CGA C-6.4) to inspect my tank, I would take the CSA certified inspector any day. Take it from someone who knows...these tanks are to be respected. 3,600 psi is a lot of stored energy.
                    Jared.
                    Mountain Green, Utah
                    2003 CNG Cavalier
                    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Hi Guys;

Yes Bill, I did pass the test, but I won't get the score and paper work until I get to Washington until around the 3rd.

I will be in Utah next week doing a class and trying to meet some of the people on CNG Chat.

Oh, the thing that really irrated me about the whole thing, and I just found out is that they are changing the inspector numbers. Looks like old 0003A has been retired. You're next Bill. (I'll see Colin today)

Have fun guys.

Larrycng (Santa Fe, NM)

Comment

Working...
                      X