Utah HOV lane requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah HOV lane requirements

I had a clean air plate on my contour, now i have a 2009 GX. I didn't get the clean air plate because the dealer told me 2009 clean air plates will be much less than the current $80 because any fees are paid with a tax at the pump.

Any truth to this?

Re: Utah HOV lane requirements

Yes,

Starting January 1, 2009, there will be no more $82 annual fee for the Clean Fuel Clean Air license plate. This fee was to cover the State Road Tax not taken at the pump. But starting January 1, 2009, there will be an additional 8.5 cent/GGE tax at the pump to cover the State Road Tax. The Clean Fuel Clean Air license plate will also be only available to those vehicles that are the Federal list. This does not include bi-fuel vehicles. Only dedicated CNG vehicles that are EPA certified qualify along with some hybrid electric vehicles.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Interesting. thanks

So what happens to bi-fuel vehicles that already have a clean fuel plate but are not on the list for the future? The state won't strip them of their plate will they?

What it seems to me is that if you have a bi-fuel in Utah and you want to ride in the HOV lane you better get a clean fuel plate in the next two weeks.

Comment

Actually according to Utah law governing special license plates (Clean Fuel Clean Air plate is a special license plate), once your vehicle does not qualify for the plates, you must surrender the plates to the DMV. So technically, when your vehicle is up for renewal of registration in 2009, you should surrender the plates to the DMV. Now, I don't if the DMV is going to ask for those plates, or if it is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to surrender the plates.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

I hope the C plates on E85 flex-fuel vehicles get stripped... seen a bunch of them in the HOV lane over the years

Comment

I've seen those on E85 vehicles as well. It's amazing that the DMV let that slip. It seems like they've really been cracking down on it lately.
            www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Can someone post a link to the webpage where one can find out if their vehicle will still qualify for the Clean air plates. I am having trouble finding the approved vehicle list and the verbage on bi-fuel vehicle disqualification on the epa website.

Thanks-

Comment

Originally posted by soarhead25 View Post
                Can someone post a link to the webpage where one can find out if their vehicle will still qualify for the Clean air plates. I am having trouble finding the approved vehicle list and the verbage on bi-fuel vehicle disqualification on the epa website.

Thanks-
                Here is the Utah DMV link:

http://dmv.utah.gov/licensespecialplates.html#cleanfuel

I will do some digging around for the Federal "list" of HOV lane qualified vehicles.
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

I did some digging around. You may want to look at this thread:

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984

This is about House Bill 62 which passed during this last session. It has some good links to follow.
                  Jared.
                  Mountain Green, Utah
                  2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Got a reply from the state

Gang,

I got the following from UDOT. My comments are in blue italics. Note I have also attached the Certificates of Conformity for the Civic GX as well as one of Baytech's trucks to show the ILEV designation. Our NaturalDrive CNG Impala will have the ILEV designation for 2009 as well.

-----------------

Mr. Mitton:
                    Because the interstate system is a federal highway, federal law dictates eligibility of single-occupant vehicles in a High Occupancy Vehicle (car pool) lane. Please refer to 23 United States Code 166 regarding HOV facilities. Under federal law, only the following "clean fuel" vehicles are allowed with a single occupant in the HOV lane:

(1) Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEV) that run exclusively on a clean alternate fuel, such as CNG. Under federal law and federal regulations, post-factory conversion vehicles do not quality as an ILEV and, as such, will not qualify to drive as a single-occupant in the HOV lane. Please be aware that Federal regulations dictate that ILEVs must have factory-original equipment, post-factory conversion vehicles do not meet eligibility requirements. Please refer to section 88.311-93 of title 40, Code of Federal Regulations for eligibility of ILEVs and section 88.312-93 for labeling requirements for these vehicles.

Comment: I let her know that post-factory conversions do indeed qualify for ILEV if the converter meets EPA's criteria.

(2) Vehicles that meet the federal definition of Low Emission and Energy Efficient Vehicles. The intent of Congress was to allow certain hybrid vehicles to drive with a single occupant in the HOV lane. Congress directed the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to draft federal regulations that define a "Low Emission and Energy Efficient Vehicle". The EPA issued draft regulations last year and anticipates finalizing those regulations before the end of the year. Under the EPA's regulations, not all hybrids will meet federal eligibility.

Comment: I think the original list is here:
                    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/ld-hwy/...levehicles.pdf

H.B. 62 laid the groundwork for Utah to come in compliance with federal law since Utah was allowing vehicles that do not meet federal eligibility requirements to drive as a single-occupant vehicle in the car pool lane. As provided in H.B. 62, the Utah Department of Transportation has drafted an administrative rule defining which single-occupant vehicles will be allowed to drive in the car pool lane, bringing Utah in compliance with federal law and regulations. That draft rule has been submitted to the Division of Administrative Rules with a proposed effective date of January 1, 2009.

Attached Files

Comment

I inquired about which cars can have the "C" Plate in 2009 and this was the response:
                      __________________________________________________ ______________
                      Mr. North

The change as to what vehicles will qualify for the clean fuel plate in the future have not been issued by the EPA and UDOT, therefore we will continue to issue the plate under our current guidelines. The only changes that will take place effective January will be to the clean fuel certificate, we will no longer collect these or charge for them. As long as your vehicle meets the criteria of a clean fuel vehicle you may purchase a clean fuel plate for the cost of your standard registration fees and $15.00 for the special group plate.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department for further assistance at 1-801-297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824.
                      Thank you,

D. Johnson
                      Division of Motor Vehicles
                      Utah State Tax Commission

Comment

Re: Utah HOV lane requirements (Major Delays!)

Wow, CNG vehicle owners seem to be under attack here in Utah. Probably a mere confluence of negative circumstances but now 2009 Clean Air Plate issuance has now become another major headache for this particular CNG owner.

So that all of you know, the Utah DOT is now in charge of issuing clean-air plates in Utah and they have suspended issuing these plates indefinitely.

From the meager information I have gathered, my opinion is that UDOT was A) not prepared to take ownership of issuing clean air vehicle status and B) hiding an agenda of pulling back clean air access to HOV lanes (whether justified or not I don’t care, I don’t like hidden agendas).

The Motor Vehicle Division has a letter from the Department of Transportation that they will gladly share with anyone that wants a copy which prevents the DMV from issuing Clean Air Plates. UDOT is conducting usage/traffic of the HOV lane in Utah and when they are ready they will start processing clean-air vehicles again. There is NO date given as to when their investigation will complete, none. So effectively, if you have a clean air vehicle without a clean air plate you are screwed for HOV access indefinitely.

I actually don’t even want a NEW C - plate, I want to transfer my existing C - plate from my Contour to my even greener Honda Civic GX. However, the DMV system and UDOT won’t even allow that to happen. The UDOT woman I spoke with on the phone (very rude IMHO), said there is no such thing as a clean air plate transfer, I can only be issued a new plate for my Civic and since they are not issuing clean air certification right now then I am out of luck.

For me, the HOV lane was an extremely high purchasing factor for me. It saves me often 40 minutes to an hour a day. What makes things even more painful is I could have paid the 82 bucks in December and had my plates. It was at the DMV’s suggestion that I wait until 2009 because it would not cost me as much in 2009. There is no doubt in my mind UDOT officials intentionally pushed the DMV to ask people to wait until 2009 saying the fee would be removed, knowing full well that they were going to suspend issuing these plates. I find the fact that it was a secret that UDOT would soon be suspending C-plate issuance unbelievable and dishonest.

So much for me thinking Utah was on the cutting edge of saving the planet. My conspiracy lights are going off. I am convinced that non-CNG owners love to stick it to us CNG guys. I am certain that the mainstream gas-guzzling energy commissioner and DOT director really couldn’t stand all of the benefits we were getting, and when they got a chance they got us good.

Comment

Found the following info:
                          http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=10...6:::1:T,V:2280

The policy is described on page 45 of this PDF in Rule R926-11
                          http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/b.../b20081115.pdf

I guess once the temporary suspension lifts new registrants will need to apply to UDOT for a permit then take this to DMV to get the plate. That will stop anyone from simply asking a DMV clerk for the plate without prior scruitiny as to if the vehicle qualifies.

The non-qualifying vehicles will lose the plate on the next renewal date, leaving dedicated alt fuel vehicles ("ILEV") and the very short list of qualifying high-MPG "SmartWay Elite" hybrids.

Comment

Re: Utah HOV lane requirements (Major Delays!)

Originally posted by CNG4RD View Post
                            I actually don’t even want a NEW C - plate, I want to transfer my existing C - plate from my Contour to my even greener Honda Civic GX. However, the DMV system and UDOT won’t even allow that to happen. The UDOT woman I spoke with on the phone (very rude IMHO), said there is no such thing as a clean air plate transfer, I can only be issued a new plate for my Civic and since they are not issuing clean air certification right now then I am out of luck.
                            It would seem that you CAN transfer your C plate: (from the link provided above)

R926-11-3. Identification of Eligible C Plate Vehicles Prior to
                            January 1, 2009.
                            (a) Vehicle owners with vehicles registered with a C plate
                            issued prior to January 1, 2009, and for which the vehicle meets the
                            definition for an ILEV or Hybrid as defined in this rule may retain
                            the C plate or transfer the plate to a newly purchased eligible ILEV
                            or hybrid vehicle under the processes defined under this rule.
                            2003 GMC Sierra K2500 ex-cab, factory bi-fuel
                            -Todd

Comment

Hmmmm, I wonder if its worth it for me to run this up the management chain at UDOT. Maybe I can get my clean plate on my civic afterall

Thanks for being into the details!

Strange that this qualifying vehicle list --

www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/ld-hwy/hov/drafeligiblevehicles.pdf.

was as of May 2007 but does not include 2006 or 2007 civic CNG dedicated vehicles.

Any thoughts? Most curious as to whether they will deny alternative fuel status to my 2009 Civic GX.

Hey JEEPZZ can you give me specifics on where you got that info, the first link actually says this at the very bottom:

Will I still get to keep my C Plate if I sell my vehicle?

C Plates are nontransferable. C Plates may not be sold, assigned, used or moved to a vehicle other than the original vehicle to which the plate was assigned. Upon transfer of title of the original vehicle to another owner, the C Plate must be removed from the vehicle and returned to the DMV. However, vehicle owners with a C Plate will be allowed to obtain a new C Plate for a newly purchased eligible ILEV or hybrid vehicle.

I did find this in a google search:

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/b...1115/32076.htm

but it is only a proposed rule change
                              Last edited by John Mitton; 01-09-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X