New signs requiring EPA approved systems at Questar fill station in SLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New signs requiring EPA approved systems at Questar fill station in SLC

I just noticed the new signs at Questar Gas filling station in Salt Lake City.

They basically say if your CNG system isn't EPA approved and installed per a standard the sign lists, you are not allowed to fill there. It also says driving a vehicle not in accordance with the above could be dangerous.

I don't know how they enforce this as the site is unstaffed and open 24/7, but I think they have cameras. I haven't noticed them, but I ususally am filling up around 300am when it's dark.

I know the above is one of the basic premises of this website. I just thought it was interesting to see it posted at the filling station. I wonder how many people who don't read this site even know if their vehicles are EPA approved.

I wouldn't even know about EPA approval if I didn't read here. I have seen installers advertise that even though their kits aren't EPA approved, the kits are made by one of the largest etc etc.

I know this is a controversial subject with some people. Like I said though, I thought it was interesting to see the signs.

Max

Re: New signs requiring EPA approved systems at Questar fill station in SLC

Max,

You can read further on this discussing by following the link below:

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3968

Unfornuately, the thread is closed the thread is closed because it started to go off topic.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

You know Max, you bring up a good question. How is Questar going to enforce their new position on filling up at their stations? These signs are posted at all Questar owned filling stations across the state. They have been up for about a week now. And up until today, I have not seen a single non-EPA certified vehicle filling up. Today I filled up in Ogden at about 6:40 am and there was a Jeep Cherokee filling up. I took a picture of his license plate with my cell phone, thinking I would email it to Questar and let them know that this person was in violation of their posted sign, but what can (or what will) Questar do?
      Jared.
      Mountain Green, Utah
      2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

I have seen a few older (mid to late 90s) Jeep Cherokees at Gov. auctions. I figured that there must have been a certified kit back then, since they were fleet vehicles. Can anyone verify this? If it was a newer Cherokee, than of course it wasn't certified, but I have seen a few of those for sale as well in the private market.
        www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

CNG Utah,

The Jeep Cherokee that I saw was easily an early 2000s model. My only thought was if it came out of Arizona back in the "Option 3" days.
          Jared.
          Mountain Green, Utah
          2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

I honestly don't know how to tell. The only thing I even know is look for the CNG diamond on the back, but I don't believe that reveals anything other than CNG.
            I don't even know how to tell on my F150, other than I assume it is because it's a 'factory' GFI system and there's a Ford CNG supplement with the owner's manual plus the VIN number.
            Would one of the stickers state if it were EPA approved, like the stickers that say "meets all federal etc etc at time of manufacture"?

Comment

VECI label

Just look under the hood for the Vehicle Emissions Compliance Label (sticker). OEM and certified conversions place a sticker there with the Test Group (aka "Engine Family") along with the fuel EPA certified for use with the system.

Comment

Re: VECI label

Anybody can buy a CNG sticker and put it on the back of vehicle. Just because a vehicle has the sticker does not mean that it is EPA certified nor that it is in compliance with NFPA 52. The Jeep Cherokee had to have the back of the vehicle open to refuel. His filling valve was located inside the vehicle.
                Last edited by Highmarker; 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM.
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

maybe they should use the model we are using at WISEGAS and make a member card system instead of a credit card where we at WISEGAS inspect every vehicle for compliance (tank cert,epa approved,properly installed and proper state registration) to get a card to fuel up ,but this may affect the bottom dollar which questar can't have. they probably put that up for insurance reasons and that is the end of it

Comment

Here is the full scoop on EPA and conversions. The only way to recognize a EPA approved vehicle is to look at the sticker under the hood. A lot of kits out there interfere with the emission and 0xygen sensors.... which the EPA frowns upon, but there are also kits that don't even touch the sensors with the engine. The fact is, the EPA will do nothing to warrant anything to stop people using non-EPA cert kits. If they even took a step to remove all kits, it is the same that they would have to find every aftermarket part sold and installed from stores like Pep Boys and Auto Zone.... It will not happen and there are plenty of attourneys that agree. Another aspect is, the filling stations of Questar can shut down, but who will stop the filling stations that are privately held in homes?
                    Last edited by John Mitton; 12-09-2008, 03:39 AM. Reason: promoting "kits"

Comment

I am going to put my two cents in on this. the way I see most non EPA or DIY systems always have little problems. We see these kits in our shop all the time. Normally we will not touch the vehicle if we feel the system is unsafe. We are going to install a PIN number in our dispenser so we can inspect the tanks and system on a vehicle. Every time there is a problem the vehicles owners family always sues the station owner because he made his station avalible to the idiot that is driving a dangerous system. The station owner has not one to go back on. There is no good asnwer to this problem that is growing but the station owners have to protect them selves or stop suppling gas to the general public.

Comment

It looks like the signs are being posted at non-Questar sites now. I filled up last night in Orem and there was one there as well. The sign looked brand new. I happened to have my camera with me, so I snapped a couple pics.
                        Attached Files
                        www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

I was happy to see the sign. But I agree....it's probably for insurance purposes only and nothing further.

I also too had mentioned to my brother that I'd be interested to find out about taking pictures of vehicles that are not obvious factory cng systems and turning them into the police or questar. I'd love to find some actual enforcment on this.

Comment

Originally posted by scottfetsh View Post
                            maybe they should use the model we are using at WISEGAS and make a member card system instead of a credit card where we at WISEGAS inspect every vehicle for compliance (tank cert,epa approved,properly installed and proper state registration) to get a card to fuel up ,but this may affect the bottom dollar which questar can't have. they probably put that up for insurance reasons and that is the end of it
                            ere we go making it hard to travel away from home having to have a 100 cards and still not having the right one at 3 in the morning mayby start a cng visa card that could have the cert coded on the mag strip just a thought cowboy

Comment

So, I bought a used vehicle from a dealer in Arizona. How do I go about obtaining the EPA certificate of approval on it? It was an aftermarket conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X