Diesiel & CNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesiel & CNG

Warning signage posted basically through out the state concerning CNG & EPA-Certified vehicles fueling.

What about us that have CNG supplemental systems on diesel vehicles ?
    {reference to illegal product removed by forum staff}
    Last edited by John Mitton; 11-30-2008, 08:34 PM.

Re: Diesiel & CNG

I don't believe there are any Diesel/CNG blended systems certified with EPA. If they were it would be specific to engine families and model years. You can look up certifications here (they are about 6 months delayed in posting, however)

www.epa.gov/dis

Comment

I don't think the EPA cares what you do to a diesel. Whatever is added is likely to clean up the emissions.

Comment

Sorry amfuel, but the EPA does care about the diesel setup. When you add a hydrocarbon to a hydrocarbon fuel, the total exhaust emissions change. Even though natural gas is by itself relatively clean, if it is not metered in precisely, emissions WILL increase.

Saying that the EPA does not care about adding a second fuel to diesel is a myth that is propagated by the internet power adder marketers (much moreso with "propane injection"). Having tried twice to send a vehicle to the EPA labs with a dual fuel diesel/natural gas and failed, I can testify that it was not easy getting as far as we did. It finally took the resources of two companies with a lot larger budget than mine to get there, and they finally had to pull the plug on that engine, and eventually decided to leave the over the road market all together (Caterpillar will no longer be making over the road applications in 2009).

Franz

Comment

Thank you for the straight poop.

I heard this from an up-fitter in the mid-west. There are no test stations around these parts anymore so maybe the adherence is more lax.

Comment

Working...
          X