Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-EPA certified vehicles not welcome at Questar (the noose is tightening)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cowboy
    replied
    Re: Non-EPA certified vehicles not welcome at Questar (the noose is tightening)

Originally posted by Franz View Post
    I understand your frustration, but let me toss this in.

Rules are to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. The case last week in Utah is one recent example, and those of us who have been in the business for more than a decade have seen more than their fair shares of goofs, intentional or otherwise. This forum has posted some examples of people who may have their heart in the right place but doing a conversion illegally.

CNG is a safe motorfuel but mistakes can be costly and VERY public. To say it is as safe as working on ones brakes is not a fair comparison. True they both have an effect on public safety, one can be controlled by a self sense of preservation while the other may be motivated by profit, greed, or a false sense of "beating the man".

The rules are there for a reason, to protect the public. They are not there to prevent someone from performing a safe installation, and the ratio of dumb installations seems to be growing. Emission regulations are there to help control air pollution, not to stifle enterprise or innovation. The US has been a world leader in many areas, safety is one of them, lets not legislate safety away, its taken us too long to get where we are today.

I know I will get flack for being a paid off lackey, sorry folks, not so. I have been proponent of converting vehicles for close to two decades now but I want them done right, the first time.

Franz
    I dont think you are payed off just went to a diferent school than I how many fokes died today from not useing seat belts cng is one of the safest fuels out there and it has been around for many years very few killed or maimed and how many burned in gasoline fires we have had fuel cell s for many years mandateing there use in cars would save many lives but this would cost detroit cash just as cng use costs big oil cash so before we say this is being done to make cars safe by beating up on cng lets mandate fuel cells on all gasoline cars and trucks make it safer for driver the poor fire man who has to put out a fire that whould of never of happend if the car had a fuel cell and pull the burned bodys out of a substanderd car no fuel cell anyone know how many more auto fires in gasoline powered cars than cng powered I will bet it is a a lot more than the ratio of gasoline to cng powered cars I took a old cng tank that was out of date to day and pumped it to 2500 and bolted it to a old flat bed trailer and shot it with a 22.250 and did not even make a hole in it this was with a copper jacket and we hit it 20 times so our next test will be a armore peircing round have them comming will let you all know how this turns out next we shot a empty cng tank same kind as the last and put a dent in it so the high psi must help pervent impact damage a gasoline tank from a old chevy van was our next victim we bolted it to the trailer 5 feet from the undamaged cng tank and put 5 gallons of reg gas 87 octain 1 shot and boom big fire cloud would not want to be in the van with that fire do not try this unless you live way out in the sticks we did this today on a 700 acre farm the cng tank still did not do anything 5 feet from the gasoline tank exploding and I still think we need to look inside and hydro what fun doing reserch on turkey day makes me feel safe to be riding in a cng truck

Leave a comment:

• Franz
    replied

I understand your frustration, but let me toss this in.

Rules are to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. The case last week in Utah is one recent example, and those of us who have been in the business for more than a decade have seen more than their fair shares of goofs, intentional or otherwise. This forum has posted some examples of people who may have their heart in the right place but doing a conversion illegally.

CNG is a safe motorfuel but mistakes can be costly and VERY public. To say it is as safe as working on ones brakes is not a fair comparison. True they both have an effect on public safety, one can be controlled by a self sense of preservation while the other may be motivated by profit, greed, or a false sense of "beating the man".

The rules are there for a reason, to protect the public. They are not there to prevent someone from performing a safe installation, and the ratio of dumb installations seems to be growing. Emission regulations are there to help control air pollution, not to stifle enterprise or innovation. The US has been a world leader in many areas, safety is one of them, lets not legislate safety away, its taken us too long to get where we are today.

I know I will get flack for being a paid off lackey, sorry folks, not so. I have been proponent of converting vehicles for close to two decades now but I want them done right, the first time.

Franz

Leave a comment:

• Kent9099
    replied

Man is his own worst enemy.
    First you have the Federal Government that fails in our country's energy managment.
    Then you have independent thinking people make their best effort to provide an alternative to the outrageous fuel prices by changing to CNG.
    Then when CNG shows promise to help get America off foreign oil.
    You find there are no American conversions availible because government control makes such a business venture unprofitable or impossible.
    So people start using conversions from other sources. Not quite the same as an American conversion would have been.
    Then you have a person who thinks he knows more that he does, make some serious mistakes with a conversion
    Then you have a few hundred "Dogs in the Manger" (that can't eat the hay but they don't want the cows to eat it either.) Jump all over the issue demonstrating the "Holier than Thou" purist attitude you usually see coming from the fool in your lane going 30 under on a ten speed and wearing spandex
    As an American I think it is way past time we worked together to get off foreign oil and clean up our air.
    Detroit is a mess and will not be able to replace the rolling stock in this country for 30 years.
    The people who currently control the conversion processes in the US are gouging the public as bad as the oil companies.
    Conversions need to be affordable, they need to be safe. They need American manufactures.
    STOP!!! with the "few" controling everything and those that think they need to own it.
    IT AIN'T ANY MORE DANGEROUS THAT GASOLINE OR PROPANE OR FIXING YOUR OWN BRAKES!!!!!!!!!
    If CNG prospers, those positioned well, will do OK. If they try to own it (like the afore mentioned dog) it it will die out and so will their oppurtunity.
    Last edited by Kent9099; 11-27-2008, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BRodri
    replied

that's what i thought someone would say. but it will probably get edited. so i have to say that if it works good and is installed safely i have no problem with it.

Leave a comment:

• bretlott
    replied

Many of us will simply fill at home. I have a non epa {reference to illegal product removed} kit installed in my 2006 chevy truck. but no paper work I simply ordered a fuel maker this week and I am going to fill at home .
    Last edited by John Mitton; 11-27-2008, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rocketmanpete
    replied

I sent a note to Sgt Joe Vasquez and invited him to join the site.

Leave a comment:

• Highmarker
    replied

Originally posted by wanpakumono View Post
    You know, this will also apply to many of the vehicles that Murphy has sold to Utahns. What are we supposed to do with those vehicles?
    If you bought a vehicle from someone in Arizona and it was bought and converted at the dealership in 2000-2001, then it was most likely converted under Option 3 of the EPA. When the vehicle was converted by the dealer, there was documentation given to the owner of the vehicle stating that it was in compliance with the EPA. This is proof that your vehicle is EPA certified. If you can find that documentation then you are good to go. A co-worker of mine just bought a 2001 Chevy Silverado from a gentleman in Arizona and he got that documentation in hand prior to purchasing the vehicle. Contact anybody you can and try to get that documentation. This documentation will also validate you claiming the Clean Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit.

Leave a comment:

• Highmarker
    replied

I filled up this morning (11/26) in Ogden, and there was a sign there as well. It seems that Questar has posted the sign at all Questar owned filling stations. Is the sign posted at the State-owned stations as well?

Leave a comment:

• John Mitton
    replied

Good idea. The person at the state over safety inspections is Sgt. Joe Vasquez of the Highway Patrol. You might want to fill out this form and ask that your message get forwarded to him:
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/contact.html

Leave a comment:

• rocketmanpete
    replied

Case in point about pressurized tanks, some where around 63 to 65, my dad showed me the story. N.Y.C. AT&T building in the winter the boiler pressure relief valve kept blowing off so the boiler guy wired it shut. The lunch room was above the boiler room it built up enough pressure and took off like a rocket it bounced off a horizontal beam and cleared the lunch room from one end to the other and out the wall. Imagine 3,300 psi on a 90 to 150# tank.So can we push the state for the inspections? I'm game

Leave a comment:

• rocketmanpete
    replied

Questar I'm sure put up the waning for the CYA factor trial rat's will find a way to hold some one else liable if they can make a killing for big bucks they will do it. My company lost 4.3 million some years ago the other party was stone cold drunk.We were totally clean. The warning sign is Questars way of saying we did all we could at the time. The scary part about this is an accident on the road and a fully loaded tank taking off like an F-16 with full afterburner. Nothing will stop it except a thick concrete wall. Now that scares me and I don't get scared on the road all too often. Let's hope the state starts inspections.

Leave a comment:

• rgliedt
    replied

What would be the difference between this and someone going to the local
    quick mart store and filling a glass container with gasoline. I dont think that a store clerk comes out and stops you or calls law enforcement. Seems to me to be similar situation.

Leave a comment:

• dbd
    replied

This is a liability issue. They are trying to not be responsible if someone where to get hurt.

Leave a comment:

• wanpakumono
    replied

You know, this will also apply to many of the vehicles that Murphy has sold to Utahns. What are we supposed to do with those vehicles?

Leave a comment:

• larrycng
    replied

We have all seen the sign
    " No Shirt, No Shoes, NO SERVICE"

For those stations that are manned why not
    "No EPA cert, No Cylinder Inspection, NO GAS"

Just a thought

Larrycng

Leave a comment:

Working...
X