Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-EPA certified vehicles not welcome at Questar (the noose is tightening)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-EPA certified vehicles not welcome at Questar (the noose is tightening)

The attached photo was taken today at the 200 S station. It was only a matter of time with the near tragedy in Orem and also the cylinder shooting off a truck bed smashing the dispenser at 200 S, both in a matter of a few weeks...

I think everyone here knows my opinion of the many non-certified "CNG conversion kits" that have proliferated in Utah in recent months. Of course, many of them have been installed professionally in accordance with NFPA-52 safety standards. But the problem is accountability. Those who certify with EPA not only prove out the emissions and onboard diagnostics (OBDII) but also are required to attest that all modifications to the vehicle will be performed in accordance with ANSI/NFPA-52 and NGV1 standards; that defeat devices are not employed; that the components are durable; and that the fuel system is tamper-proof. All EPA certified vehicle retrofits are subject to random EPA Confirmatory Testing in Ann Arbor, which includes not only emissions and monitoring control (OBDII) confirmation but also “shed” leak detection and visual safety inspections as well.

If any EPA certified vehicles are found to not have been provided with systems meeting such standards the SVM (small volume manufacturer) risks revocation of the certification. Thus the SVMs who provide such products exercise great care in selecting automotive facilities which have deep expertise in compressed gaseous fuel systems before authorizing the installation onto any vehicle. In summary, the federal government classifies SVMs in the same manner as the large OEMs, including the requirement for product recalls, etc.

Non-certified “conversion kits” have no such safety attestation requirement imposed by any authoritative body. No record is maintained by the manufacturer of these “kits” so as to provide a regulatory agency with owner of record information in the event product recalls are imposed, etc.

So although I played no role in the sign being posted at Questar today, I heartily approve of this action by Questar.

------------------------------

WARNING
    Only NGV's with EPA-certified conversion kits may fuel at this site.

Compressed natural gas (CNG) should only be used in vehicles equipped with EPA-certified CNG conversion kits and installed in compliance with the NFPA Vehicular Fuel Systems Code.

Operating a vehicle (including the fueling of that vehicle) with a CNG kit that does not meet these requirements could result in significant damage to your vehicle, serious bodily injury or even death.

------------------------------
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Mitton; 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM. Reason: Added my comments

DIY Conversions - Saving Money But Costing Lives

I see you closed the post on the recent event in Utah, it's a problem in other countries as well. http://www.ngvglobal.com/en/safety-a...ves-02197.html
    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Re: Non-EPA certified vehicles not welcome at Questar (the noose is tightening)

Thanks for the link, Johnny.
      The other post was closed due to getting way off topic.

Comment

It's nice to see Questar trying to take the responsible route, but how are they going to enforce it at their unmanned station? Are they going to post someone there to check each NGV trying to fill up?
        www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

I think it is a matter of Questar doing a big CYA deal they can not enforce a law that dose not exist in Utah. But they can post a warning to keep the trial rat's from gathering.

Comment

We have all seen the sign
            " No Shirt, No Shoes, NO SERVICE"

For those stations that are manned why not
            "No EPA cert, No Cylinder Inspection, NO GAS"

Just a thought

Larrycng

Comment

You know, this will also apply to many of the vehicles that Murphy has sold to Utahns. What are we supposed to do with those vehicles?

Comment

This is a liability issue. They are trying to not be responsible if someone where to get hurt.

Comment

What would be the difference between this and someone going to the local
                  quick mart store and filling a glass container with gasoline. I dont think that a store clerk comes out and stops you or calls law enforcement. Seems to me to be similar situation.

Comment

Questar I'm sure put up the waning for the CYA factor trial rat's will find a way to hold some one else liable if they can make a killing for big bucks they will do it. My company lost 4.3 million some years ago the other party was stone cold drunk.We were totally clean. The warning sign is Questars way of saying we did all we could at the time. The scary part about this is an accident on the road and a fully loaded tank taking off like an F-16 with full afterburner. Nothing will stop it except a thick concrete wall. Now that scares me and I don't get scared on the road all too often. Let's hope the state starts inspections.

Comment

Case in point about pressurized tanks, some where around 63 to 65, my dad showed me the story. N.Y.C. AT&T building in the winter the boiler pressure relief valve kept blowing off so the boiler guy wired it shut. The lunch room was above the boiler room it built up enough pressure and took off like a rocket it bounced off a horizontal beam and cleared the lunch room from one end to the other and out the wall. Imagine 3,300 psi on a 90 to 150# tank.So can we push the state for the inspections? I'm game

Comment

Good idea. The person at the state over safety inspections is Sgt. Joe Vasquez of the Highway Patrol. You might want to fill out this form and ask that your message get forwarded to him:
                        http://publicsafety.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/contact.html

Comment

I filled up this morning (11/26) in Ogden, and there was a sign there as well. It seems that Questar has posted the sign at all Questar owned filling stations. Is the sign posted at the State-owned stations as well?
                          Jared.
                          Mountain Green, Utah
                          2003 CNG Cavalier
                          2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by wanpakumono View Post
                            You know, this will also apply to many of the vehicles that Murphy has sold to Utahns. What are we supposed to do with those vehicles?
                            If you bought a vehicle from someone in Arizona and it was bought and converted at the dealership in 2000-2001, then it was most likely converted under Option 3 of the EPA. When the vehicle was converted by the dealer, there was documentation given to the owner of the vehicle stating that it was in compliance with the EPA. This is proof that your vehicle is EPA certified. If you can find that documentation then you are good to go. A co-worker of mine just bought a 2001 Chevy Silverado from a gentleman in Arizona and he got that documentation in hand prior to purchasing the vehicle. Contact anybody you can and try to get that documentation. This documentation will also validate you claiming the Clean Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit.
                            Jared.
                            Mountain Green, Utah
                            2003 CNG Cavalier
                            2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I sent a note to Sgt Joe Vasquez and invited him to join the site.

Comment

Working...
                              X