Almost full-filling experience at University of Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost full-filling experience at University of Utah

So I had my first experience using the State GASCARD and filling at the fleet station at the University of Utah. The fill rate was slower than the 200 South Questar facility - but it was a good fill - around 3300 pounds. The price was $1 per gallon (they charge a small overhead).

The part of the experience was this - When I pulled up late yesterday afternoon there was a line of U of U buses waiting to fill diesel. The CNG pump was located in front of one of the buses that was filling. So instead of waiting in line, I pulled in front of the bus and backed up to the CNG pump as you would do at an open pump at any gas station. One of the bus drivers ran over to my car and banged on my window as I pulled up - I opened the door and he said "can't you see there is a line?" I asked him if everyone in line was getting diesel, and he said "yes, can't you see the line" - I told him I was getting CNG and then he mumbled something at me which I can't repeat here and then said I can't block the lane. Seeing that he wasn't going to be convinced I looked back at the student who was stationed there to fill the buses and asked him how long the bus behind me would be filling - he said 20 minutes... So I told the guy I would be done before that bus was filled - and that there was plenty of room for the bus to go around me even if I wasn't.

Well in the end the angry bus driver walked off and the student coordinator came and apologized for the whole incident.

Positives - good location if you are on the east side, good fill pressure, nice staff.

Negatives - relatively slower fill rate, $1 per gallon price, angry bus driver.

Re: Almost full-filling experience at University of Utah

I've been sharing my local CNG pump with the Riverside county transit buses for quite a while now, and they are very nice to me. They dont mind if I cut in line in front of them, a driver explained to me, "we get paid by the hour". Most of the time instead of waiting I just fill with the 3,000psi side, and usually get 3,300-3500psi.
    Last edited by jetboatjohnny; 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM.
    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by altfuel View Post
      ... the fill was good - around 3300 pounds ... The price was $1 per gallon ... instead of waiting in line, I pulled in front
      A couple of points:
      • I've been filling at this station for a month now and have gotten 3500 psi or better on several occasions.
      • I believe the price on the pump is not set correctly. Before the price increase it read $1 per gge, same as after the price increase. I've received my monthly bill, which indicated I paid 94.9 cents / gge before July 1 and I have mail from the state indicating they are charging 84.9 after July 1.
      • The agreement you signed to get your GASCARD includes:

User agrees to give government vehicles priority fueling and will honor the preferred fueling hours at the University of Utah compressed natural gas fuel site. The preferred hours are: Monday – Friday 9AM – 1PM and after 8PM. All day Saturday and Sunday. No fueling during athletic and special events at the Jon Huntsman Special Events Center and Rice Eccles Stadium.
        I'm not saying you did anything wrong (I honestly don't know), but I might caution folks to avoid irritating the official users of the pumps to the point that they complain to their supervisors. They might be able to lock us out if they're angry enough.

I, for one, greatly appreciate the new stations and would hate to see their use restricted again.

Cheers,
      Robert '07 GX

Comment

Originally posted by jetboatjohnny View Post
        ... they are very nice to me. They dont mind if I cut in line in front of them, a driver explained to me ...
        Yeah, sometimes just talking to someone ("Hey, I use CNG do you mind if...") is all it takes to avoid irritating thrm. Myself, I've only run in to one other customer at the U and they were filling on the other side.

Cheers,
        Robert '07 GX

Comment

Working...
        X