Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Sandy 90th S station outage] Explosion nearby station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Sandy 90th S station outage] Explosion nearby station?

Heard something about a natural gas tank explosion on the news this morning ~450 W 9200 South. This is near the Sandy station. Hopefully all is well.

Re: Explosion nearby station?

It was at Jordan School District... sounds like an ASME tank lost a valve or PRD.

Link to the story:
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2930180

Comment

Wow, that sucks. I'm glad no-one got hurt though.
      You can do anything except light a paper match, on a marshmellow, underwater!

R.I.P. Taylor and Chris

Comment

This is the public station in Sandy just off of 90th South. The pressure relief device (PRD) let go on one of the storage tanks. Questar says that this has happened before in the past with no problems, just needed to replace the PRD. However, for some reason, this time it caught fire. The station will be down for some time, while they fix it. The good news is that the PRD did its job and no one got hurt.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier
        2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Interesting how the story changed as the day progressed:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2930180
          March 25th, 2008 @ 7:23am

Nicole Gonzales reporting

A natural gas tank exploded early this morning in Sandy. It happened at a natural gas storage facility owned by the Jordan School District at 500 West and 9200 South.

A mobile home park is nearby. The residents there felt the explosion and called firefighters right after 4 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find 75-foot horizontal flames shooting out of a gas line. Crews knocked out the flames quickly.

Capt. Derek Maxfield of the Sandy Fire Department said, "It's in a parking lot and kind of removed from any structures. There was a tree that got burned. And I guess due to the pressure coming out of the tank, it actually knocked over a jersey barrier, as well. But other than that, no real damage."

Questar crews shut off the gas, taped off the scene, and are investigating. No one was injured.

Questar officials investigating gas tank explosion in Sandy
          March 25th, 2008 @ 12:03pm

Nicole Gonzales reporting

New details are available in the Sandy natural gas explosion that happened this morning.

The tanks exploded and caught on fire at a Questar natural gas refueling station near the Jordan School District Office at 500 West and 9200 South. The tanks are charred, and right next to them there are some burned trees and plants.

The initial explosions were powerful enough to knock down a concrete barrier beside the tanks. Neighbors living in the mobile home park across the street were the first to call 911, saying they heard one explosion that sounded like a gun shot, then another.

"About five minutes later, we heard a second explosion, and it rose the flames from 10 feet to about 50 or something," said witness Kyle Sorden.

Crews from Sandy, South Jordan, West Jordan and Midvale arrived on scene shortly after 4 a.m., turned off the gas valves, and put out the flames.

Another witness said she gathered everyone and left the house. A police officer tried to comfort her on the street. "He said, ‘No, you should be fine. The safest place is to go back home,' and I said, ‘No, you don't understand. The ground was rumbling under our home,'" Lorraine Baldwin said.

The natural gas station is open to the public 24 hours a day with no attendant working. No one was filling their vehicle at the time of the explosion.

Questar officials say all three relief valves popped off the cylinders. Only one caught fire, sending 75-foot flames shooting out horizontally.

Since natural gas doesn't ignite on it's own, Questar is searching for a possible ignition source. "We're looking into everything from mechanical malfunction to possibly someone damaging the pressure relief valves. We just don't know yet," said Darren Shepherd, with Questar Gas.

The refueling station will most likely be closed for a few days while the company completes the investigation.

Questar owns two dozen of these stations from Logan to St. George.
          __________________________________________________ ________

Natural gas refueling station closed after morning explosion
          March 25th, 2008 @ 4:06pm

Courtney Orton and Nicole Gonzales reporting

Investigators are looking for what could have ignited a natural gas tank at a Questar refueling station near the Jordan School District Office at 500 West and 9200 South. The explosion sent 75-foot flames shooting out and was powerful enough to knock down a concrete jersey barrier.

The tanks are charred, and right next to them there are some burned trees and plants. With the damage the refueling station suffered this morning, it's easy to understand why it is out of commission for at least a couple of days. During that time, investigators will attempt to find out what made one of the tanks explode.

"I heard the first explosion, barely. I wondered what it was, then when the second went off. I thought, ‘Wow! We got to get out of here fast!" said witness Lorraine Baldwin.

Neighbors living in the mobile home park across the street were the first to call 911, saying they heard an explosion that sounded like a gunshot, then another.

"I woke up because it sounded like a couple of gunshots or something that was going off, just sounded like something shot out," said witness Kyle Sorden.

Baldwin said she gathered everyone and left the house. A police officer tried to comfort her on the street. "He said, ‘No, you should be fine. The safest place is to go back home;' and I said, ‘No, you don't understand. The ground was rumbling under our home,'" she said.

Questar Gas officials say relief valves on three tanks popped off and one caught fire.

"All of a sudden, one of the tanks exploded over there, and there were these flames rushing up and stuff," Sorden said.

Crews from Sandy, South Jordan, West Jordan and Midvale arrived on scene shortly after 4 a.m., turned off the gas valves, and put out the flames.

Since natural gas doesn't ignite on its own, investigators will look for a possible ignition source. "We're looking into everything from mechanical malfunction to possibly someone damaging the pressure relief valves. We just don't know yet," said Darren Shepherd, with Questar Gas.

Questar says the tanks have a limited range of combustion and that the valves are set to release if the pressure gets to high.

This natural gas station is just one of only a couple dozen in Utah, all of which are regulated by the state. Now that it is closed temporarily while investigators look into the explosion, drivers who normally fill up there will have to go somewhere else.

This station and many others are open to the public 24 hours a day with no attendant working. All drivers have to do is pull in, swipe a credit card and fill up. Right now, natural gas costs 64 cents a gallon.
          __________________________________________________ _________

I am glad that there were no injuries. I also hope their investigation goes well and that if foul play was involved, that those responsible will be held accountable.

Comment

Darn! That was my favorite statiion

Bill

Comment

I would be interested in the final findings. A common term used for a PRD operating as designed is popping off or blowing off.

Comment

cngmike,

I've heard there is speculation about vandalism at the time of the incident. It happened at 4:00 in the morning. But I've heard nothing from Questar directly.
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier
                2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If it was vandalism, prosecute to the FULLEST extent of the law . . . and then some!! 5 years minimum of hard time in prison with thugs would be a deterrent.

It seems very odd that Honda had vandalism setting fire to backseat of Civic GX that led to recall putting in fireproofing between backseat and cng tank. Now, apparent vandalism of Utah cng station. . . . huh, awful coincidental in just a year???!!??

Please keep us here in cng community updated on this, AND assist Questar in any way to set record straight on what a PRD actually does. It's a pressure relief device, and it's highly unlikely (virtually impossible) that failure of PRD at 4 am would lead to actual burning of released pressurized cng fuel - - - a separate high-temperature fire source had to accompany the PRD failure. Those false reports by media need retractions if they were wrong!!

Need to put up 24 hour around-the-clock video monitoring of these stations and catch those responsible red-handed!! I can speculate on 3 industries that would like Questar to have problems, but I'll wait for the facts to come in.
                  Last edited by cngacrossusa; 03-30-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Any idea whent the Sandy station will be operational again?

Utahbill

Comment

Still not working on 4/3/08.

Comment

Any update to this "explosion" of Utah station of Questar??

Culprits caught??

Station set to re-open??

Comment

Re: [Sandy 90th S station outage] Explosion nearby station?

The station was still closed on 4/16/08.

Comment

Re: [Sandy 90th S station outage] Explosion nearby station?

Our good "old man" friend has started a new thread on station status:
                            http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417

Please follow the status there and if we have any other information on what happened to cause this we can discuss it here. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X