This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trillium - Anaheim Station

I filled up on Monday and also got almost a full tank on the 3000 psi side. There were two taxis on the 3600 PSI side and I figured I could do most of my filling on the 3000 PSI side and then top off on the 3600 side, but when my tank registered one bar from the top, I called it off.

How can that happen? Anyone?

Comment

Advocate - are you worried you were getting too much pressure from the 3000 hose? I don't quite understand what happened...

Comment

Because my car is a 3600 car, I can't get too much pressure. But, if a 3000 car were filling up next to me on the 3000 pump and got too much pressure, that could be a problem for me, right?

Originally posted by Jennifer View Post
        Advocate - are you worried you were getting too much pressure from the 3000 hose? I don't quite understand what happened...

Comment

The nominal pressure of a system (3000 or 3600) is a working pressure. All systems have a 1.25 safety factor on the fueling system components. So you can fill a 3000 system to 3750 and a 3600 system to 4500 without issue. We have mechanical devices called PRDs or pressure relief devices in the dispenser that are a safety against getting too much pressure in a car. If the dispenser were to somehow malfunction and try to give you too much pressure, the PRD valve would open and it would vent the gas instead of allowing it to go in your car.
          Fill pressures are also temperature compensated so on a hot day (above 70), a 3600 system will need to fuel to a higher pressure, on a cold day (below 70) you'll fuel to less than 3600.
          So, in summary, its ok that you nearly got a full fill on the 3000 psi hose. The controls and the PRDs make sure that vehicles are filled to a safe pressure. I hope this clarifies your concern!

Comment

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but what you're saying doesn't explain how I got almost a full tank in my 3600 PSI car on a pump that's supposed to only pump to 3,000 PSI.

Assuming that all cars have a 1.25 safety factor, a 3,000 PSI car can handle 3,750 PSI as you state. However, that doesn't mean that a 3,000 PSI pump should be pumping 3,600 PSI. Rather, it means that a 3,000 PSI pump should pump to 3,000 PSI, to preserve the 750 PSI safety buffer that the car has built in. If the 3000 PSI pump is pumping to 3,600 PSI, it is eating up the safety buffer quite considerably.

Furthermore, since the 3000 PSI pump is actualy pumping more than 3,000 PSI and the safeties you described did not kick in, this says to me that the safeties aren't working. If I had a 3,000 PSI vehicle, it might not have exploded (since, according to you, the 3,000 PSI can handle up to 3,750 without difficulties). Nevertheless, since the system did pump more than 3,000 and the safeties didn't kick in, it would seem that they are not working. I doubt the safeties can tell when my particular tank will fail. Rather, I suspect that they are designed to cut-off the pressure when it reaches a specific PSI. You haven't indicated what the cut-off is, but it would seem logical to make the cut-off the advertised maximum pressure, in this case, 3,000 PSI.

So, in sum, what you're saying doesn't alleviate my concerns.

Originally posted by Jennifer View Post
            The nominal pressure of a system (3000 or 3600) is a working pressure. All systems have a 1.25 safety factor on the fueling system components. So you can fill a 3000 system to 3750 and a 3600 system to 4500 without issue. We have mechanical devices called PRDs or pressure relief devices in the dispenser that are a safety against getting too much pressure in a car. If the dispenser were to somehow malfunction and try to give you too much pressure, the PRD valve would open and it would vent the gas instead of allowing it to go in your car.
            Fill pressures are also temperature compensated so on a hot day (above 70), a 3600 system will need to fuel to a higher pressure, on a cold day (below 70) you'll fuel to less than 3600.
            So, in summary, its ok that you nearly got a full fill on the 3000 psi hose. The controls and the PRDs make sure that vehicles are filled to a safe pressure. I hope this clarifies your concern!

Comment

Fills are temperature compensated. When its more than 70 degrees outside you need more than 3000 psi to compensate for the effects thermal expansion. Its all kind of technical, but that's how CNG is sold. If stations didn't compensate for the temperature, you'd never get a full fill on a hot day and you'd get too much gas on a cold day. I posted a chart to the image gallery that shows what fill pressures to expect at given temperatures.
              Attached Files

Comment

I got about 3400psi from the 3,000 pump last night about 6pm. There were 3 taxis there and I asked one about the GG station and he said they would rather wait in line here than give then give their money to CE. A GX pulled in as I was leaving and I made sure to inform him of this site. He was asking about the Phil and he had no clue about the other Fuelmaker units.
                Last edited by jetboatjohnny; 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM.
                BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Last night I finally got a great fill on the 3,600psi pump. It was about 7pm, nobody else there, I got 4,000psi (100%), was about 80 degrees out.
                  BLUE 09 GX

Comment

2.399/gge

Best price in OC for fuel!
                    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

True but I really hope that they can get the pressure problem fixed soon. I hate only getting 80% fills and that's on the 3,000 psi side

Small points but:

1) Someone needs to fill the windshield washer container

2) Fix the receipt printer so it does not spit out a foot of paper.

So Jennifer, what's the status of the additional compressor and the other issues?
                      John

Comment

Called in at 5:30 today that the 3600 card reader was not working and no printer paper in 3000 printer. What else would you expect from a Greenfield (Gelbarco) dispenser. If you have a problem do us all a favor and call the 800 number if you have a problem at a station.

Comment

Hi All: Just a quick note about some of your concerns - I'm glad you like the windshield thing. It is supposed to be filled every day when the techs do their routine check, I'll remind them.
                          The receipt issue was fixed at one time. I don't know why its doing it again. I've got a message in to the dispenser company.
                          We are all ready for a second compressor! Everything has been ordered but now we have to wait for it to arrive. Once everything is on site we'll need some time to get it online. Realistically, it could be 4 -5 months still. Believe me, we want it to be online as much as you do!
                          FYI - We did get funding from the MSRC to make other improvements to the station, so a second dispenser is in the works as well.

Comment

True redundancy the hallmark of a proper CNG station. Are you listening CE & So. Cal.

Comment

Thanks Jennifer, it's nice when we get updates.

I wonder if there is a water line anywhere near the dispenser? If not maybe one could be added when you add the second dispenser. Add a short 2 foot hose and we could refill the washing tank when it gets low.

I hope the second compressor is bigger than the current one. I worry that with a second dispenser we'll be right back where we are now if it's the same size.

FYI, I've not use a CE station since Anaheim went online, keep up the good work.

PS, I hope that you can take over Garden Grove sometime in the future CE would be forced to lower the price at Seal Beach and Long Beach.
                              John

Comment

Issues for 8/21

Jennifer,

Arrived at the station around 6:15 am.

Only got about 3,400 rather than the normal 4,000. Seems strange since no one was around until I was ready to leave.

The lights were not on so I was filling up in the dark.

The printer is printing foot long receipts again. It was working find yesterday.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X