Looking for Bay Area CNG mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Bay Area CNG mechanic

I haven't had much look finding a CNG mechanic in the Bay Area.

Sunnyvale Ford says they have one, but I'm not thrilled about paying dealer labor and overhead rates.

If you have a good CNG mechanic, please share!!

Re: Looking for Bay Area CNG mechanic

Used Daytech in Fairfield a few times, have not contacted them in a while but thier web sites says they still do CNG. You can take the capitol train to reach thier shop.

So of course my 2002 Ford died over the weekend, sounds like the engine is starved for fuel. Called around and could not locate a Ford dealer in the bay area that could help and did not want to take it to Ford anyway as they did a poor job last time that Daytech corrected.

My local guy ACE auto in San Ramon fixes most of the other stuff and does the contract work for the city on thier Crown Vics so he knows the gasoline version of the CVs but leaves CNG parts to the experts. So I called AAA and had them tow it out to Daytech in Fairfield, about 56 miles from where I live. As usual friendly folks on the phone, still in the CNG business, and more than willing to take on the challenge

I will let you know the outcome, I was real pleased with thier work last time so I am sure I will have a repeat performance.

Now if I could just get to move closer to me.
    Last edited by cquirk; 05-26-2009, 09:26 PM. Reason: More information

Comment

Datech was recommended by the PG&E guy repairing the Blaney Ave compressor.

I'll have to give him a call tomorrow.

Comment

I can reccommend Serramonte Ford Fleet service for CNG. Not to bad on prices for a dealer. Very knowledgeable and they sold a lot of CNG cars.
        bob

PS- I also try to get work done at AFV in Fontana when I can. Paul MAder has been great

Comment

Originally posted by mlnielsen View Post
          Datech was recommended by the PG&E guy repairing the Blaney Ave compressor.

I'll have to give him a call tomorrow.
          Thanks, Let me know
          Silver 09 GX
          Phill G:1.5

Comment

Well after replacing all the injectors and fuel system clean up a few weeks ago, for 2 grand ( insurance paid most of it) Daytech replaced the 2 timing chains and guides on my 2002 CV. Chains had worked through both the guides and one of the chains got loose and started to make lots of noise. Cars has 86 K miles on it.

Anyway they did a real nice job and the car is running better than it has in a while another 2 grand into the car glad I bought it cheap a few years back

Comment

There was a Pinnacle guy repairing their pump on Thomas Road.

He said there is a CNG repair shop in downtown San Jose on Julian Street.

Anybody know of this place?

Comment

This afternoon I visited the Yellow Cab garage on 1880 S.7th St. in San Jose.
                I spoke the the man in charge, Don Silva (408-292-1917).
                They maintain their own fleet of CNG Crown Vics.

We discussed my leaky 3kpsi fill nozzle, and he recommended swapping it out for a 3.6kpsi nozzle conversion from a company in Arizona (I think it was AZ).

He was interedted in taking on the work, and didn't blow me off. In addition to the nozzle, they can change the CNG filter and perform most other CNG related repairs.

Monday he will be ordering several 3.6kpsi nozzle conversions for his fleet, and will be able to give me a quote.

Comment

I hope he is not installing 3600 psi fill connectors on 3000 psi Crown Vic vehicles?

Comment

According to him, he can't get replacment parts for the 3kpsi fill nozzle, and a new 3kpsi fill nozzle from Ford runs $1,800, plus labor.

He has successfully installed 3.6kpsi conversion fill nozzles onto his 3kpsi fleet. He mentioned the outfit that provides the kit, but I can't remember the name right now.

I thought it might be a little dangerous to be able to connect my 3kpsi tanks to a 3.6kpsi station. He was not suggesting or condoning filling 3kpsi tanks to 3.6kpsi, but merely came up with an economical leaky nozzle fix with easy to source replacement parts.

I only fill up at a station with a 3kpsi pump, so it doesn't really matter to me.
                    My back-up station has both pumps, so I can still use the 3kpsi pump. Even if I use a 3.6kpsi pump, i can always shut off the manual valve when it hits 3kpsi. For some reason, my 3kspi pump gives me around 3.2-3.4kpsi...lol

Comment

Instead of replacing the 3kpsi nozzle with a 3.6kpsi nozzle, they swapped my nozzle with a rebuilt.

They had a good nozzle which they replaced the o-rings. The swap took about 30minutes.

We'll see how long this one lasts...

Comment

Originally posted by mlnielsen View Post
                        This afternoon I visited the Yellow Cab garage on 1880 S.7th St. in San Jose.
                        I spoke the the man in charge, Don Silva (408-292-1917).
                        They maintain their own fleet of CNG Crown Vics.
                        I took my 98 F250 with a leaky 3K fill nozzle to this place and they rebuilt the nozzle in about an hour for $100 (parts + labor). It's a good idea to call ahead. The shop is open on the weekend, and I believe that's when they would prefer to do work for private individuals. Don and Rick (the person who did the work) seemed knowledgeable and charged a fair price.
                        Last edited by jschaub; 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM.
                        Patent Counsel
                        '04 F150 Dedicated
                        '11 Civic GX
                        '11 BMW ActiveE
                        FMQ2-36
                        FM4

Comment

anyone know of any certified cng tank inspector in the SF bay area? i know of daytech but that is all the way in fairfield so it would be more convenient to find a local to me.
                          98 civic gx - the hov lane runner
                          97 supercharged mustang - 440rwhp gas hog
                          02 pathfinder

Comment

so i just called trap's tire in south san francisco and they indeed work on cng cars and are certified inspectors

this is great news for sf bay area ppl
                            98 civic gx - the hov lane runner
                            97 supercharged mustang - 440rwhp gas hog
                            02 pathfinder

Comment

I found a very capable Middle Eastern CNG mechanic through the Middle Eastern taxi drivers at San Jose airport.
                              He keeps their taxis in good shape and at very reasonable prices. He services the general public.

His name and address:--Sham Auto Repair, 1051 Richard Ave, Santa Clara, Telephone:--408-309-7553 or 408-748-6989

Good luck

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X