Certified CNG inspection mechanic in Bay Area - South Bay preferred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified CNG inspection mechanic in Bay Area - South Bay preferred

Anyone know of someone that is certified to perform for a privately owned vehicle? Need to have a safety inspection performed on my Crown Vic. San Jose area preferred, but open to taking anywhere in Bay Area. All of the Ford dealerships were completely clueless about who would do this. Thanks!
    Last edited by Huli; 02-20-2009, 08:46 AM.

Re: Certified CNG inspection mechanic in Bay Area - South Bay preferred

Did you try Serramonte Ford in Colma? Their Fleet Services department has CNG guys.

Comment

Yes - earlier this week I spoke to their fleet service manager, and he said they do not currently have anyone who will do this

Comment

As far as the south bay is concerned I think the only place to get service is Stevens Creek Honda. I don't know if they will work on your Crown Vic, but I think they will. You could call the cab company's in San Jose and maybe get a reference from them. I always see the CNG cabs at the San Jose airport.

Good Luck.

Comment

Hello,

My name is Dino. I'm taking the CNG inspector course again in a week and will be re-certified and offering my services shortly thereafter. My email address is [email protected]. Pricing isn't set in stone yet. I do have a shop in SF. Send me an email and I'll keep in touch. I'll be doing CNG inspections in and around SF and the bay area.

Dino,

Comment

When you set your prices, can you post them on here? Thanks.

Comment

anyone ever find out a suitable shop to inspect cng tanks in the bay area?
              98 civic gx - the hov lane runner
              97 supercharged mustang - 440rwhp gas hog
              02 pathfinder

Comment

We ended up using someone from Fresno that routinely makes trips to the bay area.

Comment

So Daytech in Fairfiled (707) 429-5009 1249 Illinois St Ste 2
                  Fairfield, CA 94533. Yes it is a pia to get out to them but they work Saturdays and may be able to get this all done for you in a day while you wait.

I usually have my vehicle towed out there for service and get me wife to drive me out to pick it up on the weekend. They are close to Amtrak so that might be an option

They are not cheap but do a very thorough job and I have a very high level of confidence in there work. Been a customer for over 5 years now

Comment

yeah i called them up and the cost was somewhere in the the $300 range. that includes the inspection and some other official form that gets sent to some agency that regulates the use of these tanks. anyone know what the form is all about?
                    02 pathfinder

Comment

Joe Trapani at Trap's Tire and Auto Center in South San Francisco inspects CNG tanks. He told me the charge would be approximately $217 to inspect the tanks on my '98 F250, "depending on how the shielding comes off."

http://www.trapstire.com/index.htm
                      Patent Counsel
                      '04 F150 Dedicated
                      '11 Civic GX
                      '11 BMW ActiveE
                      FMQ2-36
                      FM4

Comment

thanks for posting that..its great to know we have a local resource now.
                        02 pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by jschaub View Post
                          Joe Trapani at Trap's Tire and Auto Center in South San Francisco inspects CNG tanks. He told me the charge would be approximately $217 to inspect the tanks on my '98 F250, "depending on how the shielding comes off."

http://www.trapstire.com/index.htm
                          May be cheaper at Stevens Creek Honda in San Jose. Give them a call who ever is getting the service done. Shop around.

Comment

Just something for general consideration. When checking the cost of having cylinders inspected, check the "shop labor rates" for the area in which you live. The San Francisco is a high priced area and it is also a "union" area. I remember quite a few years ago when the labor rate on Van Ness Ave was $100 per hour. The labor rate in the Palm Springs, where I was working, was around $60 per hour (non union - no, I'm beating unions). What's "flat rate" for inspecting and certifying and tank? (if it is listed).

When a technician does an inspection, the time it takes to remove shields, clean the tanks (so you can see any defects), do the inspection, reassemble the system, and do the paper work, comes out of his work day and he should be compensated accordingly. He/she could be doing more "high tech" operations that could command a higher compensation rate. if different automotive service operations were priced according to technical complexity. Many Cylinder inspector, have training in many areas, some much more technical than cylinder inspection. It is the training, experience, competence, and shop overhead you are paying for; things ain't cheap today.

It's ok to shop around, and you can get some good deals. this is common sense. Just be careful and be comfortable wit the inspector/technician you choose.

Larrycng.

Comment

I have a few tank inspection questions.
                              1. What is involved in the inspection (vent CNG, remove valves, borescope ispection?).
                              2. How long does it take (2hrs to disassemble, inspect, reassemble?).
                              3. How do they refill the tanks (tow to CNG station?).
                              4. How much does it cost (hourly rate?).

Comment

Working...
                              X