Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

    Last week I spoke to two people involved with this project. The city's civil engineer says he expects the construction to be completed by April 15. The fleet support person says that even if the pumps are completed by then, there is nothing in place to allow public access. The entire service yard is fenced and gated, and it will be challenging to provide access to the pumps without allowing access to the whole yard. The other problem that hasn't been addressed is liability, and the city attorney has to get involved. Who knows how long it will take to resolve these problems, but at least there is progress on getting the pumps installed?

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

      Originally posted by joeflyer View Post
      Last week I spoke to two people involved with this project. The city's civil engineer says he expects the construction to be completed by April 15. The fleet support person says that even if the pumps are completed by then, there is nothing in place to allow public access. The entire service yard is fenced and gated, and it will be challenging to provide access to the pumps without allowing access to the whole yard. The other problem that hasn't been addressed is liability, and the city attorney has to get involved. Who knows how long it will take to resolve these problems, but at least there is progress on getting the pumps installed?
      If the City didn't design it for public access from the beginiing, then I doubt they will allow the public to access it. I hope I am wrong, but I know the way city governments think, and I will not get my hopes up.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

        From City Council meeting minutes dated June 19, 2006:
        DISCUSSION
        The Vehicle Replacement Fund and Gas Fund Capital Improvement Programs include projects (VR-01001; GS-00011) which will replace the existing conventional and CNG automotive fueling facilities located at the Municipal Services Center (MSC). The original intent of the project funded by GS-00011 was to construct a public CNG fueling facility that could be used as
        a backup to the City’s existing CNG facility. However, since the inception of this project, that intent has been affected by two factors:
        • The City’s existing fast-fill CNG facility is undersized for the current demand.
        • The cost of constructing a separate public CNG facility is unacceptably high and those costs could never be recovered through retail charges.
        Because of this, staff recommends that the funds available in GS-00011 be used to replace the City’s existing fast-fill CNG facility. Once the existing facility has been replaced, it can be reutilized for public CNG fueling. This would fulfill the original intent of the project, and will satisfy the public-access requirement of a grant funding agreement that exists between the City and the Valley Transit Authority.

        Also:
        UTILITY RATE SCHEDULE G-10
        D. SPECIAL CONDITIONS
        1. Service under this schedule is subject to discontinuance in whole or in part in case of actual or anticipated shortage of natural gas resulting from insufficient supply, inadequate transmission or delivery capacity of facilities.
        2. Service under this schedule is provided only from a designated City fueling station which will deliver CNG at approximately 3,000 pounds per square inch (PSI).
        3. Individuals responsible for fueling a Natural Gas Vehicle shall be required to complete training sessions to be certified to fuel a vehicle. Each individual must sign and date the Certificate of Instruction for Fueling Natural Gas Vehicle.
        4. Customers requesting to take service under this rate schedule are required to sign a Compressed Natural Gas Agreement before commencing service.
        5. If required by local or federal law, assessed applicable taxes shall be added to charges shown in this rate schedule.

        It appears that public access was not only designed in from the beginning, but is required since the City is using VTA grant funds for the project.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

          Any opening date set?

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

            I drove by the service yard today. The new pump is installed, but it is behind a gate and still has barriers around it. I would think construction should be completed shortly. There are still access and payment procedures to be worked out.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

              I recently got an e-mail from Keith Lahaie, Fleet Manager for the City of Palo Alto. He confirmed that the City is constructing a publically accessible station, but he doesn't anticipate the station being open until mid-July.

              The good news is that Mr. Lahaie drives a '95 Civic GX, so we will have compadre operating the station.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                Originally posted by johnny 99 View Post
                I recently got an e-mail from Keith Lahaie, Fleet Manager for the City of Palo Alto. He confirmed that the City is constructing a publically accessible station, but he doesn't anticipate the station being open until mid-July.

                The good news is that Mr. Lahaie drives a '95 Civic GX, so we will have compadre operating the station.
                Sweet. I think he's got a blue 01-05. There is no 95 GX.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                  I drove by the service yard yesterday. The pump is behind a restricted-access gate and still has barriers around it. Nothing has changed in three months. Government works slowly, especially in Palo Alto.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                    I received a call yesterday (8/3/09) from a lady who works at the PA service yard. She stated that the city is still working on the access and billing issues and probably won't get them resolved for two more months. She also stated that others were bugging city officials to finish the job.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                      Originally posted by joeflyer View Post
                      I received a call yesterday (8/3/09) from a lady who works at the PA service yard. She stated that the city is still working on the access and billing issues and probably won't get them resolved for two more months. She also stated that others were bugging city officials to finish the job.
                      Good. Sometimes you gotta light a fire under peoples arses so they hurry up and get the job done. City BS as usual.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                        Is this the yard adjacent to the 101 north of San Antonio?

                        There is a big sign posted on the fence/gate, but I can't read it from the freeway.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                          Yep, that's the place. Look down the driveway to the right of the sign and you'll see the pump. Can't miss it with the white poles around it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                            So is it open yet?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                              I think this is the address (it's the frontage road, east of 101):

                              3201 East Bayshore Road, Palo Alto CA 94303

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Planned Public Station in Palo Alto

                                like the mervyn's commercial......OPEN, OPEN, OPEN. lol.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X