California white carpool stickers (CAV decals) may get extended to 2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: California white carpool stickers (CAV decals) may get extended to 2025

Correct..you can drive both a "green" and "white" sticker in the carpool lanes until January 1, 2019. You need to acquire your green or white sticker before January 1, 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by harttim1 View Post
      Great that the HOV access is extended...but bad that Californians will be driving old technology in those lanes when it expires in 2019. Sales for the likes of Tesla, Honda, Ford and anyone else who markets their vehicles for HOV access will most likely take a sales hit after the Jan 1, 2015 date.
      but great for those of us who have the foresight to buy in 2013! That 2014 PIP with a green stickie will be worth a lot more in 2016 than a new PIP, I predict. At least that's my plan :-)

Comment

Originally posted by harttim1 View Post
        Correct..you can drive both a "green" and "white" sticker in the carpool lanes until January 1, 2019. You need to acquire your green or white sticker before January 1, 2015.
        I hadn't noticed that date (Jan. 1, 2015) when stickers will no longer be issued.

Will the future of HOV lane access be strictly carpoolers and motorcycles beyond 2019? Has me wondering as these lanes get more crowded.
        Sold GX

Comment

Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
          I hadn't noticed that date (Jan. 1, 2015) when stickers will no longer be issued.

Will the future of HOV lane access be strictly carpoolers and motorcycles beyond 2019? Has me wondering as these lanes get more crowded.
          What do you think?
          Sold GX

Comment

Good question...
            Having just gotten my white HOV lane stickers for my three-month old new MY12 Civic Natural Gas, I have my fingers crossed that when 2019 rolls around, single-passenger CNG vehicles with white stickers will still have access to the carpool lane. However, my guess is that other cars, with the green stickers, such as the Chevy Volt, may lose their "status" in the HOV lane as cars with that technology have become much more popular, more quickly than the natural gas vehicles. I think part of this is the fact that home "powering" refueling stations can be relatively easily implemented for the battery vehicles vs. the natural gas vehicles. (failure of the Phill units to get long-term "approval" from Honda...). So my guess is that because the natural gas stations are not being built out as fast as the many stations for plugging in and refueling electric vehicles means that those of us with Civic CNGs may have rights to the HOV lane a bit longer. But that's just what I'm seeing in the South Bay/Silicon Valley. Perhaps, in the North Bay, the CNG Civics and other vehicles make up a greater proportion of the HOV lane vehicles on a daily basis, and so they would lose privileges to the HOV lanes in the future, just as the Prius and other hybrid cars did (with the gold stickers). The whole point is to encourage drivers to go toward more ecologically friendly powered vehicles. Once the technology is adopted in a widespread manner, then there are too many people in the HOV lane for the HOV lane to have any value.
            Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
            What do you think?

Comment

I agree, green stickers (like the yellow stickers already) will probably "expire" in 2019. btw-In the news lately is that green stickers may soon run out at the numerical limit originally placed, then no longer will be issued.

I hope the white stickers get extended... Although I'm thankful to have the HOV lane access for another 5 years.
              Sold GX

Comment

Re: AB 266 Passes Senate in CA to extend CNG use in Carpool Lane

I know this may sound negative, but by that time, HOV lanes may all be converted to HOT Toll lanes

Comment

Yes, at which point they become HOV/HOT lanes (combined). We are seeing some in northern California also.
                  Sold GX

Comment

I680 south of I84 (combined HOV/HOT lane) is not bad. The price for HOT access goes up to $7.50 in peak times which keeps it from getting too crowded

Comment

As mentioned below:

"you can drive both a "green" and "white" sticker in the carpool lanes until January 1, 2019. You need to acquire your green or white sticker before January 1, 2015."

Even if they extend our white stickers beyond 2019, it makes me wonder about the future of the program. If they stop issuing new stickers by 1/1/15, our white-stickered cars might be valuable commodities until they get retired in the junkyard....
                      Sold GX

Comment

Is there a difference in expected expiration dates between current green stickers and current white stickers? Or are both scheduled to expire Jan, 2019?

Comment

My understanding is both green and white stickers set to expire at same time.
                          Sold GX

Comment

Working...
                          X