Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Sperling (member of CARB) on The Daily Show - 2/11/2009

Link to Video of Interview

I saw Daniel Sperling on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart last night, and I am convinced that California has zero hope of obtaining any sort of energy sufficiency/alternative fuel recovery. He seems to believe that the only way to get anything moving is to kowtow to big auto and big oil, and force them to see the light. Even when Jon asked "Why do we need the industries to embrace it? That's like saying 'I don't know about these automobiles, we really need the horse people to embrace it'. They're the past. It ain't happening. They climb on board or they don't. Why are we being held hostage to their interests?" His response was "That IS the challenge. We need to ensure that their interests align to the publics interests. That is the role of government. That's the role of policy." Then he started blabbing on about carbon reduction. He then talked about putting a 'price floor' on gasoline (something the upcoming 12cent/gal increase in California gas tax will do anyways), basically directly impeding in the not-so-free market. Ridiculous.. who elected him onto the board.. oh wait.. no-one did... If this is the mindset of the rest of CARB, there will be no help for Californians. I feel really sorry for the states that have chosen to follow California's 'Lead' in air quality regulations...

Oh yeah, and not one even passing mention of natural gas.. just ethanol and fuel cells... oh yeah...
    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Re: Daniel Sperling (member of CARB) on The Daily Show - 2/11/2009

So, I contacted Dr. Sperling regarding the interview, and he basically scoffed at the prospect of CNG, basically stating that there is no demand, and no real gains in encouraging it's use. Beautiful. He's the 'automotive market expert' on the board.
    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Working...
    X