N. California to Utah via I-80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. California to Utah via I-80

How about this for a concept? Some motivated entrepreneur takes a couple CNG tank trucks and a Roach Coaches to a couple strategic points along the I-80 corridor, say Wendover and Battle Mountain NV. Fill the tank truck at under $1/gge in Salt Lake City, rent a couple spots near the highway in those two NV towns. Retail the CNG at >$2/gge, plus sell gut bomb burgers and burritos and cheapass beer and trinkets etc... just like the big boys do.

Such an arrangement would instantly link two of the country's biggest CNG markets, N. Cal and Utah for everyone with an 8 gge Honda GX on up!

Now, bring on the arguments about Utah CNG subsidies, interstate commerce, regulatory stumbling blocks, cost vs. profit, etc.

K-Dog
    99 GX

Re: N. California to Utah via I-80

Someone told me once there is no natural gas pipelines in Northern Nevada... everyone is on propane. So the only way to do it would be trucking in CNG as you suggested or find markets for LNG and set up L/CNG stations.

Comment

Re: N. California to Utah via I-80

There is utility company provided natural gas in all the major cities along I-80 from Reno to Elko (including Lovelock, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain, Carlin, Elko).
      Wells and Wendover don't seem to have it.
      I verified this on
      http://www.city-data.com

I'd love to see CNG available along that route, plus a station in Wendover and Delle. Until then, I guess I'll be driving bi-fuels.
      2004 Toyota Avalon bi-fuel
      2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

Maps of NG Pipeline network nationwide

Nevada doesn't have natural gas pipelines serving cities along I-80 according to U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) maps from 2008 data:

http://www.eia.gov/pub/oil_gas/natur...e/western.html

Other government directories do not allow contents to be viewed due to Homeland Security and Presidential directives from 2001 thru 2003.

Other folklore I once heard was that big city folk are better off not to loiter in these towns.

Comment

Re: Maps of NG Pipeline network nationwide

Seems to me that there is natural gas around there... From Ruby gas pipe line.

"The Ruby Pipeline is a win-win project for natural gas consumers and producers. It represents an approximate $3.65 billion investment in new pipeline infrastructure that will connect clean-burning and competitively priced natural gas reserves in the Rocky Mountain region with growing markets in the western United States.

Ruby includes approximately 680 miles of 42-inch natural gas transmission pipeline, beginning at the Opal Hub in Wyoming and terminating near Malin, Oregon. Ruby has an initial design capacity of up to 1.5 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) and traverses portions of four states: Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and Oregon. The project utilizes four compressor stations: one near the Opal Hub in southwestern Wyoming; one south of Curlew Junction, Utah; one at the mid-point of the project, north of Elko, Nevada; and one in northwestern Nevada."

http://www.rubypipeline.com/
          2002 Cavalier
          2003 Cavalier
          2004 Cavalier

Comment

Working...
          X