Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300mileclub
    replied
    Interstate 84 from Portland Oregon to Salt Lake City, to date, has failed to provide CNG for trucking (which is how cars are finding fuel available these days.) The good news is that the high-flow Trillium station in Vancouver WA that was completed in 2016. Bad news is that the Stanfield Oregon PILOT never had the CNG hoses installed at the CLEAN ENERGY LCNG station. Intermountain Gas built a new headquarters on Alan Dr in Jerome ID (Twin Falls) with a CNG station that was put behind a locked gate for their own use. Having both would allow the trip to be made at the full speed limit and allow the use of air conditioning.

Your success in driving the Brigham City to Boise route (one-way) will give others the confidence to drive it. Tires pumped up; limit speed to 60-65; 2500 rpm on grades; avoid headwinds and travel light - should prevent needing a tow. You are an inspiration - thanks for the trip writeup.

Leave a comment:

• claytonkimball
    replied
    Just some information for anyone looking to make the trip from Utah to Boise on CNG:
    After hearing that Tremonton's station is closed I filled up at the Flying J near Brigham City (1674 W 1100 S, Brigham City, UT, 84302). The 2 cng pumps there are near the semi pumps. The weather was around 50 degrees and it filled to 3397 psi. That had me a little nervous.
    I drove fairly conservatively in my 2012 Civic Natural Gas. I had Eco mode on and avoided gunning it up hills. However I stayed near the speed limit which is often 80 mph. Towards the end of the trip I began realizing my Miles Remaining were consistently below what I needed. It got rainy with poor visibility at night, so I just followed a pickup that was going a steady 60 mph the last hour. When my Miles Remaining finally got down to 0 I still had 30 miles left. I continued but kept a constant eye on places to pull over. I finally made it to the closer Boise cng station (11101 W Executive Dr., Boise, ID). I had averaged 38 mpg over the 288 miles. My car took 7.32 gallons of cng at $2.089 each, filling to 3630 psi.
    A few days later I filled up at the same station before heading back to Utah, which filled to 3460 psi. I made what proved to be a critical mistake by taking a 6 mile round trip detour off the highway to say goodbye to family. I drove similarly but seemed to struggle to get above 35 mpg, perhaps due to wind. This time my Miles Remaining hit zero with 40 miles to the Brigham City station. With 6 miles to go my gas pedal went unresponsive. The car seemed otherwise normal (radio, heat, lights, etc.) I coasted a couple minutes on the shoulder till stopping.
    I ended up ordering a tow truck through my Geico app, then getting taken to the gas pumps. (7.53 gallons at 3616 psi)
    I suspect during the summer when many pumps tend to fill to closer to 4000 psi it may be less tight a trip.

Leave a comment:

• CNG Utah
    replied
    Re: idaho cng station

That's exciting. I get so many people asking if they can fill up on CNG in Idaho. Hopefully it is a successful station and more will open up in Idaho. At least it gives Utah drivers an option to fill up on CNG when they go to Boise.

Leave a comment:

• Stu Man
    replied

Hi Rooster :

On December 1, 2009, I received an Email from Clean Energy Fuels that stated the following :

Allied Waste Services -- Idaho
    Boise-based Allied Waste Services, a Republic Services company, has opened the first CNG fuel station with public access in Idaho. Allied Waste will use the new station to fuel its growing fleet of CNG refuse trucks. Allied contracts with the City of Boise to provide all solid waste and recycling services for the Greater Boise area. The new CNG station, designed and built for Allied Waste by Clean Energy, will open for public access early in 2010, making it possible for individuals, fleet operators and local governments to switch to CNG fuel.

The new Florida, New Jersey, and Idaho CNG fuel stations mark Clean Energy's entry into these markets.

It would be good to confirm this Site, and then get this Boise CNG Filling site on to CNGPRICES.com

Stu Man

Originally posted by rooster View Post
    I herd southern idaho might get public station soon,people working with
    idaho puc ,,what do you all think

Leave a comment:

• Idarusskie
    replied

remind him of the excise tax rebate. even if it never collected. if he could fuel a few INL buses each day. it might help out with the bottom line. On the down side I am not sure if they still have CNG buses . I know they still have some LNG buses. certainly a few cars and pick-ups are CNG.

The problem is always getting the critical mass because once the stations is in and the price remains low then many will convert. The problem they had before was the price was almost the same as gasoline so why convert.

Leave a comment:

• kgmc
    replied

I heard back from Jacob at Salt Lake Express. He said they're still considering what to do with the old station that had CNG, and that he hopes they'll be able to have CNG again.

His email address is [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• kgmc
    replied

Here's the mailing address for Salt Lake Express:

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 566, Rexburg, ID 83440

The company's website shows an email address for a Jacob and I emailed him encouraging the CNG. If it is indeed Jacob Price, I'll post that email as well.

Leave a comment:

• Idarusskie
    replied

I just got a email from clean cities, Yellowstone coalition.

The company that owns "Salt Lake Express" bus has purchased the old CNG station. I had Sandy Shuptrine contact Jacob Price the owner. She said that they might be interested in keeping the CNG station if there were enough interest. So now is the time to express your interest in opening a station in Idaho Falls.

I would also like to promote the idea of a station in Jackson hole.

Leave a comment:

• kgmc
    replied

Rooster,
    I would think if you opened a CNG station in Idaho Falls, you'd get a lot of business from Utahns, even if you have to charge $2.50 to make it pencil out.

Leave a comment:

• Idarusskie
    replied

I live a few blocks away from the old station in Idaho Falls. This was the one located on Grandview and highway 20. The equipment was not shipped off. I checked this morning and the tanks and pumps are still there. I assume, but can not tell if the compressor is still inside the cargo container but the tanks are in there. It was an old gas station that went bankrupt. Before they went bankrupt they were charging almost the same amount for CNG as for gasoline. I assume because the INL also filled up some of their cars that they could charge the government this higher rate.

My home-teacher ( fellow church member)drives bus for a company which has purchased this old gas station. He did not know if they were going to sell CNG. But the gas station is being designed and will open as a flying-J. The plan is for the buses to fill up there. I do not know if they have plans to convert their bus fleet since they go from Salt Lake City to butte Montana. This station was selling for 300,000 with the equipment.

I also think they should open one in Jackson hole Wyoming. The gas utility is a stranded utility. in other words they are not connected by pipeline to the gas fields in Wyoming. they have to get their gas ( LNG) by truck. They will complete a pipeline this summer to connect them. That will leave a void spot in the local LNG market that was not there before. One might be able to approach them about delivering LNG to a station. The good thing about LNG is you do not need a compressor. you just let it warm up to get CNG. If you start with LNG your equipment price drops to around 50k. on the minus side the LNG will cost more to deliver. but at times some wells have to pump gas and so some bargains may be had. coal bed methane is one such case. If you do not pump the gas then the water returns to the coal bed.

Leave a comment:

• rooster
    replied

thanks for post ,yes I knew about Inl and the idaho falls station ,it was biuld
    used by the INL for a while,sold and shipped off. really to bad because gas prices
    raced up after that and cost to replace is very high,if we had only known
    might of been able to do something ,,,one can only draem,,,, I would still like
    to see if one could work in southern idaho' I see denver is selling cng at $2.49 gge so maybe it would work here in southern idaho

Leave a comment:

• blackws
    replied

2 years ago I contacted the refueling group at INL (was transporting scouts to camp SE of there). They were working with a local retailer to move CNG refueling into the public realm. I believe it was Skunk that they had finalized the agreement with to get it (it was supposed to have been in place Aug or Sep 2007 - needed it in July used gasoline vehicle instead, and haven't been back since).

Utah's fuel cost was 1.25 in 2002. UT Mtn. Fuel customers helped develope the field (extra costs at that time), but lawsuit caused Questar to put (home and CNG) back to previous rates for 25 years. Believe me, they are fighting that ruling now. We'll see what the fall out is.......

Leave a comment:

• rooster
    replied

BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS CNG THING PRETTY HARD NOW AND LOOKING
    AT OPEN MY OWN STATION HERE IN IDAHO WELL NOT AS EASY AS UTAH
    WOW YOU PEOPLE REALLY GOT IT GOOD
    HERE IN IDAHO GAS COST ABOUT $1.20 gge from utiltly road tax $o.20
    power for compresser $o.10 equipment lease $1.00 and profit on a huge $600,000 envestment for station that can pump 500 gge a day max.
    means cng would have to sell for about $2.80 gge
    I"m wonder if people would still buy into cng AT that price ,,,,It sure makes utah shine looking for your input,,,, thanks rooster

Leave a comment:

• kgmc
    replied

Pocatello or Idaho Falls would be great, too, for the hordes of Utahns who pass that way to the Tetons, Jackson, Island Park etc.

Leave a comment:

• Plecotus
    replied

Burley would be great, if one could also be added in Boise, that would make a trip to Boise from Utah possible with natural gas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X