Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG here for NW Oregon!

To our West Coast I-5 CNG Travelers:

After recent discussions and subsequent approval of the management for posting, we have a source for public
    CNG in Northwest Oregon. The Oregon Department of Administrative Services provides CNG in the fuel facility for
    state vehicles at Salem Motor Pool. It will provide public CNG until such time that future public infrastructure is established in the area,
    thus closing the previous fuel gap between Medford and Seattle.

I am submitting the data today to our www.cngprices.com under Salem, Oregon.
    It may take a while to get set up by the moderator.
    Please note the hours M-F, that you must call ahead to schedule and that it is CA$H only, no cards.
    It is an easy access west of I-5 at EXIT 253.

1100 Airport Road Southeast, Salem, OR 97301
    Phone: 503-378-4377

Happy CNG motoring!
    Last edited by John Mitton; 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM.
    '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
    '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
    FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Only a handful of cars are using this stretch of Interstate 5 presently.

This station has two dispensers with both 3000 psi and 3600 psi hoses. It is operated by the Oregon Department of Administrative Services. In 2012, out of 110 vehicles in the daily State Motor Pool, 28 were Honda Civic GX's. Of the 10,853 motor pool trips that year, 3,165 were made with a CNG Honda GX. The Honda GX Fleet traveled 354,099 miles with 10,435 GGE of CNG used, averaging 34 MPG saving $23,567 in fuel cost and reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 42,345 pounds.

More use of the Salem station should help pay for its upkeep. To put its current 11,000 gge/yr into perspective, when a fleet plans to put in a CNG station, the economic break point is typically a minimum of 40-50,000 gge/yr. A fleet will often contract out the operation of a station if utilization is over 100,000 gge/yr. It will be interesting to see how the current handful of public fueling events in Medford multiplies now that cars can travel between Washington and California.

Any letters of thanks can be addressed to Fleet Operations Manager DAS 1100 Airport Rd SE Salem OR 97301-6674 [email protected]

Comment

The long wait since the Bretthauer 2009 station closure in Hillsboro is over!

In the spirit of Lewis and Clark, drive carefully to reach Salem. Trips from both Medford and Seattle have been made successfully dozens of times. But there are still some precautions to take:

If you want your fuel light on when you reach Salem, drive 65 mph. Holding your speed to 55 or 60 will allow you to have a bar or two still lit when you get there. Wind drag is your single biggest enemy.

In any case, have tires fully inflated. Fully inflated means reading the tire sidewall to find the maximum pressure and pumping them up to two pounds under this value to allow for road heat. Try to limit the luggage weight in the vehicle.

Follow a truck up a grade (there are seven passes north of Medford; none north of Salem). 2500 rpm is plenty. Your speed will be about 40 mph. You won't be in the way, there are slow trucks and passing lanes.

If traveling through the state, go easy the first time. Add speed on your return trip if feeling more confident. We don't want this new policy to result in tow trucks bringing cars in to fuel.

And, know the hours. Sunday driving is out. An attendant fuels cars in Oregon:
      Auburn, WA - 6am-5pm weekdays and 8am-noon Sat (CFN card after hours)
      Salem, OR - attendant on duty 6:30am-6pm weekdays only (Cash only)
      Medford, OR - attendant on duty 4:30am-10:30pm weekdays and 8:30am-5pm Sat (Cash/Bankcards)

Of these three 200+ mile legs along Interstate 5, the Medford-Salem one is the most challenging. Siskiyou Summit south of Medford on the way to Chico (PG&E card still required) has been driven successfully the most. And the run north of Salem to Seattle is free of mountains and shorter than the other two. All are thrilling to complete due to a lack of additional CNG stations.

Comment

Re: The long wait since the Bretthauer 2009 station closure in Hillsboro is over!

That is great news. What is the price in GGE they are going to charge the public?

Comment

Re: The long wait since the Bretthauer 2009 station closure in Hillsboro is over!

For the Salem location, this will appear on cngprices.com data: Current price $1.257 per GGE

(Just don't tell them it costs more in Calif and Washington!!)

I filled up my GX for less than $8 there last week.

No free-bees = everyone pays, ca$h on the counter! You can also get a receipt.
          Be sure to thank them for the public availability.
          FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

I just sent out an e-mail blast to our 60 or so registered CNGchat community members in Oregon with the good news. Does Oregon still require an attendant to dispense fuel?

Comment

All fueling is done by station attendants in Oregon.

Let's not overthink this. For trips across Oregon, a PG&E card is needed for the Chico, CA station in order to reach Oregon. Anyone may apply for one and there is no monthly fee -- just a monthly billing statement for fuel used:

http://www.pge.com/myhome/environmen...uelingaccount/

Salem's card reader only takes a Voyager fuel card. And I haven't tested whether just any Voyager card works -- I'm told it is only cards issued by the Dept. of Admin Services to government agencies. There is no application you can ask for. I do know that the card reader verifies that the odometer reading is larger than the last time the card activated the pump. PG&E card readers don't care what odometer reading is entered. The state is ensuring that its cards are not being used to fuel non-state cars (because it would be hard to "think up" the correct odometer reading to input.)

So, you call the Motorpool: (503)378-4377 to let them know you're coming. Their attendant notes your plate number and gets a name for the receipt. The attendant will ask for your keys so the vehicle isn't driven off with a hose attached - same as in Medford. The attendant's card will be used activate the card reader to fill the tank. Cash payment may then be made in the lobby nearby. There is also air available for your tires.

Make sure the 3600 psi hose (not the 3000) is being used if your system is designed for it. If you arrive outside of Motorpool hours, park in their lot. There is a Best Western around the corner or you can private message me by clicking on my member name for other suggestions.

Comment

John
                Thanks for alerting others in the Oregon territory.
                Technically, the Oregon fueling law pertaining to no self serve applies to liquid fuels, so CNG is excluded.
                Case in point, the former Bretthauer facility was card access, no attendant, so everyone did their own.

Since the 3 stations now in Oregon are county or state government owned and are attendant operated they do the dispensing, likely for their sanity and protection.
                The exception being for Salem Voyager card holders, as 300mileclub mentioned.

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                I just sent out an e-mail blast to our 60 or so registered CNGchat community members in Oregon with the good news. Does Oregon still require an attendant to dispense fuel?
                FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Re: CNG here for NW Oregon!

Originally posted by cnguser View Post
                  To our West Coast I-5 CNG Travelers:

After recent discussions and subsequent approval of the management for posting, we have a source for public
                  CNG in Northwest Oregon. The Oregon Department of Administrative Services provides CNG in the fuel facility for
                  state vehicles at Salem Motor Pool. It will provide public CNG until such time that future public infrastructure is established in the area,
                  thus closing the previous fuel gap between Medford and Seattle.

I am submitting the data today to our www.cngprices.com under Salem, Oregon.
                  It may take a while to get set up by the moderator.
                  Please note the hours M-F, that you must call ahead to schedule and that it is CA$H only, no cards.
                  It is an easy access west of I-5 at EXIT 253.

1100 Airport Road Southeast, Salem, OR 97301
                  Phone: 503-378-4377

Happy CNG motoring!
                  This IS great news, although the lack of ability to travel on the weekends is still going to thwart some plans, no doubt.

Comment

State requests drivers make an "appointment" so PLEASE call before arriving.

Cngprices now has a comment on Medford, Oregon RVTD about fuel being available in Salem.

The state has requested access be by "appointment" which simply means to call in advance of your trip (or at least earlier in the day before getting there.) Courtesy will be the key to keeping public access here.

Station updates to the federal website occur on the 15th of the month. Other sites use that info for their updates. So it may appear that the station isn't available, but it is. AFDC has always listed Salem in their "more search options" by checking "Include private stations." But they haven't updated it to include public access yet:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/nat...locations.html

CNGNOW is the first station locator to show the station:

cngnow_state.jpegcngnow_salem.jpeg

Comment

AVISTA's CNG stations announced at RVCCC White City 2013 Conference

Construction of a AVISTA gas utility's private refueling station at 1411 E Mission Ave, Spokane, WA was completed in 2012. An AVISTA public station was completed this year at 2406 N Dollar Rd, Spokane Valley, WA and is awaiting PUC rate approval to sell to the public.

Construction begins this year on AVISTA's private station at 1735 N 15th St, Coeur D Alene, ID and public access to AVISTA's service center at 2825 Dakota Ct in Klamath Falls. Completion is expected in 2014. Nothing is in the works for their Roseburg, Oregon fast-fill set up (1 gge/hr FMQ into DOT bottles.)

The new construction, above, incorporates ANGI compressors with sphere storage. Specs include 25 psig inlet pressure; twin 125HP compressors producing 280 gge/hr at 4500 psi.

Comment

Working...
                      X