Traveling through OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling through OK

Hi I'm going to be traveling from UT through OK to Little Rock AR. I have a bifuel f-150 just wondering which CNG Pumps would be best to hit. Also wondering if you need a special card to get CNG like CO? Thanks any help would be apprietiated. Blaine

Re: Traveling through OK

Any of the ONG pumps take all major credit cards (all are 3000 psi pumps), but they have issues with being reliable. The 2 newest stations in Oklahoma City will be the most reliable and also take all major cards (have both 3000 and 3600 psi). The locations in OKC are 49th and western and the 164th and Rockwell.

Comment

There is a great On-Cue Express station in North Oklahoma City that you should go to. I went to other ONG stations in OK and I could not get my F-150 to connect to their nozzles.
      Bob Baldwin
      2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
      2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Assuming that you are coming I80, I25, I70 and I35 to Tulsa, you will need to go out of your way to get CNG until you get to Tulsa. Past Tulsa ya only got Muskogee and Ft. Smith as fueling stops. There is a private gov pump at LIT that might give you some juice if you call ahead.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

My quick MapQuest of your route looks like Cheyenne, WY will be last cng stop until Denver, CO (only Denver Intl Airport to get with VISA/MC only) unless you have Colorado specific Clean Energy Natural Fuels Card (separate $100 deposit per state-specific card - - see my other "rants").

Then through KS with no cng fuel in Salina or Wichita (too bad ONEOK doesn't treat KS like it does OK), then next public cng would be Ponca City, OK (Oklahoma Natural Gas at 2205 N Ash) just past OK border after leaving KS. If you want to avoid toll in KS on 35, take K-15 out of Wichita (through Derby) and then go south on US 77 through Winfield and on to Ponca City. Then take little scenic route on 60 to Bartlesville, OK for public cng at ONG (3601 Indiana St). This route also avoids toll from turnpike that connects 35 to Tulsa. Take 75 south in OK towards Tulsa and decide whether you want to go into Tulsa or nor . . . could avoid and just go on to Broken Arrow, OK and get cng at ONG. Or if you want to hit Tulsa, you'll get excellent care at Tulsa Gas Technologies! Next cng will be at ONG in Muskogee, OK then on towards Fort Smith, AR to get last public cng at Arkansas Oklahoma Natural Gas. Only possibility of cng in Little Rock, AR is convincing airport there to use their private cng pump.

Best of luck to you. I've used both 3,000 and 3,600 psi connectors at ONG almost all across OK and you'll at least get 2,800 psi on 3K hose (at worst) - - - connectors are quick-connect type like air compressor chucks. Typical pressure is around 3,100 or 3,200 as general rule, unless heavy use. My 2003 bi-fuel Cavalier has NEVER had a problem at any ONG site. Best pressure will be in big cities like Tulsa. Have a great trip!
          Last edited by cngacrossusa; 06-16-2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cngacrossusa View Post
            Then take little scenic route on 60 to Bartlesville, OK for public cng at ONG ..
            Scenic, yes. Time efficient, no.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Just trying to help the economy of Pawhuska, OK . . . might want a Pepsi stop and could see the lovely city while driving through ! :-)

Comment

Yep, near Pawhuska, the Tall Grass Prairie Reserve is a nice drive. Buffalo in the wild, not usually close to road.
                And to Bob Baldwin and anyone with similar experience: We just got '98 Expedition and added CNG but couldn't get it filled more than a trickle at ONG Ofc in Oklahoma - pump gauge showed 3800psi. Don't know what was wrong, we are new to this. Our mechanic said use connectors that are yellow. Does that mean no other connectors will work?

Comment

Originally posted by ShanePat View Post
                  Yep, near Pawhuska, the Tall Grass Prairie Reserve is a nice drive. Buffalo in the wild, not usually close to road.
                  And to Bob Baldwin and anyone with similar experience: We just got '98 Expedition and added CNG but couldn't get it filled more than a trickle at ONG Ofc in Oklahoma - pump gauge showed 3800psi. Don't know what was wrong, we are new to this. Our mechanic said use connectors that are yellow. Does that mean no other connectors will work?
                  Blue connectors are for 3000 psi and yellow are for 3600 psi. Of course that doesn't mean what the pump will actually deliver. The blue connectors in Utah usually deliver about 3300 psi or less. Both connectors will work on a 3600 psi system, but only the blue ones will connect to a 3000 psi system. If you got the connector to connect, and your tank was not already full, it sounds like you have a problem with the system on your Expedition.

Comment

Thanks every one OK was a pretty state. Our GPS went out while we were traveling through so I just used unleaded.

Comment

Guess I'm still "old school" as I just have maps in the car and print out some MapQuest directions to each cng pump I plan on using !! :-)

Comment

Thanks, CNGLO, for the feedback on my connection problems. Two days ago I had no luck with a yellow handle even with a city worker who drives CNG trying to help me. I hope to get the mechanic who did the CNG addition to look at it next week.

Comment

Working...
                        X