Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does it take a Transit bus take to fill up? Part two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does it take a Transit bus take to fill up? Part two.

I was rolling by the CE station and lo and behold there was yet another transit bus filling up. I stop and ask the driver if he knew about the OnCue station with it's pump for buses. He didn't either. For some reason the CE station would stop filling at 18 gge and he would have to do another transaction, so I told him that I was headed up there to fuel my truck and asked he wanted to follow me.

Secretly, I just wanted to see that pump in action!

He followed me up to the OnCue station and wouldn't ya know it .. the pump was out of service. ugh. On top of that, Mark from CHK said that the pump will not have the large filling nozzle until *after* all of the CHK campus buses get converted over to handle the large nozzle.

*sigh*

Here is a picture of a 3.6k hose hooked up to the bus and to the left, is the large connection. If I would have had presence of mind I would have taken the dust cover off so you can really see how big it is compared to the 3.6k connection. I sure would like to know what the flow rates are on the large nozzle!

Check out the total water volume of the tanks ... dude.

Attached Files
    Last edited by jblue; 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Re: How much does it take a Transit bus take to fill up? Part two.

Wow. Twenty years cylinders and 573.3 water gallon capacity. I know the boards list the conversion to GGE @3600 psi, but does any know off hand how many GGE can fit in those cylinders?

Comment

That would be 183 GGE or 165 DGE. Not much range anxiety there.
      Don't hold me to the math, I extrapolated the numbers from a Lincoln Composites size chart I had handy.
      The transit fills are only handy when the bus system is plumbed with 1/2" or better stainless tubing to the tanks.
      Last edited by cnghal; 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM.
      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Are these transit buses traveling thru OK on the way to the West Coast? Or does OKC have CNG buses?

I visited with a OKC City employee yesterday at the Western On-Cue station. OKC just got 2 new CNG trash trucks. He watched while I filled my 8 gge tank. He said the trash trucks have 60 gge capacity. He's hoping to fill the trucks at the ON-Cue station.
        David
        2012 Cool Mist Nat Gas Civic w/ navi

Comment

I observed the Denver Airport (Colorado) buses (large ones, say 40 to 45 feet) refueling at 3 am when I was there in summer 2009, and driver said they typically needed 50 gge of CNG at each refueling (not sure if that was daily, or every couple days). This was at Clean Energy site and buses had specific dispensers they used which I'm sure had the larger plumbing/nozzles to expedite refill times. I sat and watched a couple fill up, and think it might have been 4 or 5 minutes tops per bus!

By the way, there IS PUBLIC ACCESS at Denver Airport using VISA/MC for little guys like us at the farthest dispenser. See my other post regarding good fill and excellent mpg with bi-fuel Cavalier.

Comment

I used to wait for the buses to fill at my local station, and it was usually less than 10 minutes. They now fill inside the facility. Most of the time I would just drive around to the other side and fill with the 3K pump, I dont commute anymore but I still have not seen another vehicle at my pump since summer. I sometimes see a trash truck pulling in as I leave but am lucky to have my own 24/7 reliable pump! Hemet RTA 1.86/GGE
            BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Working...
            X