Buffalo NY area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo NY area

Brought a 2000 Chevy 2500 p/u back from CA two weeks ago. While at a GM dealer for inspection, I mentioned it was a cng vehicle, and could they check out the system,and do a tank inspection? Or perhaps do the 6000 mile scheduled inspection? The service manager looked at me like I was from a different planet. I would rather stay away from dealers, and find someone who knows what they're doing. Today I started the truck , and the "Service engine soon" light came on. I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this. And the Alternative Fuels Supplement that came with the truck calls for the cng tank, and mounting brackets to be inspected every three years/ 36000 miles. Do I have to drive to Cleveland to get this done? And I don't even want to start about the discouragement I experienced from the people who operate the fueling stations here. I'm getting a stiff neck from shaking my head....

Re: Buffalo NY area

Is there an inspection sticker? Inspectors normally place these on the cylinder(s) to help owners know when the next inspection needs to be done. You may have looked this up already but you can search for qualified folks to do this by following the links here:

http://cleanvehicle.org/technology/cylinder.shtml

Calling afvman...

Comment

Thanks for answering John... Not sure if the tank has a sticker or not...But until I can figure out where to get it inspected, I'm not going to bother pulling the cover off. Yes, I checked the site you offered... http://cleanvehicle.org/technology/cylinder.shtml and found no tank inspectors listed for NY or PA or Ohio. I know there is a training facility in Cleveland. Do I have to take the damn course so I can do my own inspection? This is crazy! One would think as long as CNG has been around, the infrastructure would be a little more robust. My mistake...insufficient research.. I'm starting to feel like I'm on Candid Camera. I'm also starting to think I've made a mistake. ....Frank

Comment

When most make the plunge to alt fuels there is a learning curve; infrastructure, service, advise, and so on. It can be daunting to say the least, at least until you get your bearings. Fortunately you found us, and that's a great start.

Finding someone knowledgeable in your region can certainly shorten the curve. I would Google "AFV International" and email member Bill McGlinchey, assuming he doesn't respond to this thread... he's been rather quiet lately, and see if he can give you some direction. Bill is based in Ihio and knows all there is to know about cng. He could probably certify you as well.

New York is the best developed area on the East coast for cng, and I would think that you just haven't spoken to the right people yet. The more contacts you make, the easier life will be. Get it figured out and you may find that cng isn't as daunting an issue as it probably now appears. There are plenty of cng fleets in NY and there has to be shops that service the cars that go into the private market from the fleets.

Perhaps some of the East coast members could join into this conversation. And don't forget to check out the regional forums (found on the main forums page, as well as the service and conversions forum, which may have some locally accessible resources listed. You can also go to the CSA website, which lists all the certifies inspectors that they are associated with.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Scour this site, try using the search tool, and ask lots of questons... we're here to help.

Comment

Hello Curtis, and Thanks for the reply (and the moral support) I'm sure I'll get by and get it all figured out sooner or later. It's too bad that a new technology that could be so beneficial in so many ways doesn't receive the proper support. The help on the east coast you mentioned is Hell and gone from where I live. Buffalo, and New York are like L.A and San Francisco ( Only your freeways are free and our Thruways are not!

Comment

Another option that you may not have considered is crossing the border into Canada. Check out http://www.cngva.org/documents/ON_ANGVM_Dealers.pdf
            http://www.ngvontario.com/Vehicle_Conversions.htm
            I see two conversion centers within an hour of the border.
            CDNCNG
            2004 Ram 1500 dual fuel 5.7 Hemi
            2001 Ram 3500 cargo 5.2 Dedicated

Comment

One might need to check smog regulations before heeding such advice. If I went to get my car smogged and I had a kit installed, and had no EPA sticker under the hood... I'd have a heck of a time passing smog and possibly paying the fines.

Comment

Looks like things are cooking in your general neck of the woods. This might give you some hope:

GOVERNOR PATERSON ANNOUNCES NEW YORK ALTERNATIVE FUEL TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS AWARDED STIMULUS FUNDS

$28 million to reduce petroleum use, greenhouse gases, and create jobs

Governor David A. Paterson announced today that New York has been awarded two U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) grants totaling more than $28 million through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to assist school districts, local governments, public universities, and private businesses in purchasing clean fuel and alternative fuel vehicles and associated infrastructure.
                The $13.3 million Department of Energy Clean Cities grant to the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) will be matched with $18.8 million in cost-share from the Authority’s partners to purchase 307 alternative fuel vehicles and eight infrastructure projects across the State. This investment will lead to reduced petroleum consumption by displacing an estimated 302,000 gallons of petroleum per year and thus cut greenhouse gas emissions.
                The Greater Long Island Clean Cities Coalition (GLICCC) was awarded a grant of $14.99 million to deploy five alternative fuel stations and 179 alternative fuel vehicles in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. DOE estimates the program will displace 351,000 gallons of petroleum annually.
                “These awards fit perfectly with our plan to grow New York’s clean energy economy, which is a central part of our New Economy Jobs Plan. This funding will help create the infrastructure for alternative fuels and help local governments, school districts and businesses around the state convert to alternative fuel vehicles and demonstrate that these vehicles are practical and cost effective. And these projects will help New York address the very real threat of climate change,” Governor Paterson said.
                Francis J. Murray Jr., President and CEO of NYSERDA, said, “NYSERDA and our partners are committed to investing in the latest transportation technologies that protect our environment, improve local air quality, and reduce dependence on foreign oil; all part of Governor Paterson’s comprehensive clean energy strategy. In particular, school districts will now have the resources to purchase equipment to transport our young children in environmentally-friendly ways that will minimize the adverse effects that air pollution has on the health of young children. I commend each entity awarded funds for rightly placing environmental stewardship at a high priority.”
                Rita Ebert, Program Director for the GLICCC, said, “Through the Long Island Regional Energy Collaborative, GLICCC will help Long Island transform into a fuel independent, efficient and environmentally responsible region. By increasing the demand for clean fuels and technologies, Long Island will benefit from a growing economy, cleaner air and a sustainable future. I would like to thank Congressman Steve Israel for his ongoing support to the Greater Long Island Clean Cities Coalition and other Clean Cities throughout the nation.”

NYSERDA Award
                NYSERDA partnered with the Clean Communities of Western New York, Genesee Region Clean Communities, Clean Communities of Central New York, Capital District Clean Communities, and the New York City and Lower Hudson Valley Clean Communities organizations to compile and submit one competitive proposal to the DOE for alternative fuel vehicle and infrastructure development funds.
                Funds were awarded for vehicles for utility companies, local and county governments, school districts, universities and other private companies. In addition, various advanced vehicle technologies were included in the application, such as compressed natural gas (CNG), liquid propane gas (LPG), electric vehicles (EV) and neighborhood electric vehicles (NEV), hybrid-electric vehicles (HEV) and plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles (PHEV). The vehicles will be deployed throughout the State and will provide data to NYSERDA and the DOE on how these technologies operate in diverse driving and weather conditions.
                Projects that will be awarded funds include:
                Central Hudson Gas & Electric: 4 PHEVs, 4 HEVs, Charging stations
                Chemung County: 10 LPG vans, pick-up trucks
                City of Albany: 1 heavy-duty HEV, 1 heavy-duty hydraulic hybrid, 10 light-duty HEVs
                City of Rochester: 6 NEVs, 2 light-duty CNG vehicles
                City of Syracuse: 5 heavy-duty CNG vehicles, 24 light-duty CNG vehicles, 2 light-duty HEVs
                Coca-Cola: 20 HEV delivery trucks
                Corning-Painted Post CSD: 3 LPG school buses
                Cuse Car: CNG, electric fueling stations
                East Greenbush Central School District: 1 PHEV school bus
                Fairport Central School District: 2 PHEV school buses
                Ferrario Ford: 5 LPG pick-up trucks, LPG fueling station
                Gilboa-Conesville Central School District: 1 LPG school bus
                Harbec: 1 HEV delivery truck
                Hoosic Valley Central School District: 3 LPG school buses, LPG fueling station
                Malone Central School District: 5 LPG school buses
                Monroe County: 4 LPG pick-up trucks, LPG fueling station
                NYS Department of Environmental Conservation: 2 HEV buses
                Praxair: 1 HEV delivery truck
                Republic Service Inc.: 4 heavy-duty CNG trucks
                Southern Tier News: 6 light-duty LPG vehicles, LPG fueling station
                Village of Warwick: 3 HEV school buses, electric charging stations
                SUNY Albany: 3 NEVs, 5 HEV buses
                Tompkins County: 3 light-duty HEVs
                Trumansburg Central School District: 3 LPG school buses
                Village of Minoa: 1 heavy-duty CNG vehicle
                Wayne Central School District: 2 LPG school buses
                Palmyra-Macedon Central School District: 1 HEV school bus
                National Grid: 11 heavy-duty CNG vehicles, CNG fueling stations
                Bard College: 1 HEV bus, 2 light-duty HEVs, 1 NEV, 1 light-duty EV van
                Manhattan Beer: 1 HEV delivery truck
                NYS Department of State: E85 Firefighter Training Program
                Verizon: 120 CNG vans
                NY Institute of Technology: 20 light-duty PHEVs
                Charlotte Valley Central School District: 2 LPG school buses

Long Island Award

The Coalition and its partners will deploy five compressed natural gas (CNG) stations on Long Island. It also will deploy 87 heavy-duty trucks throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties, including 44 CNG refuse trucks, 40 heavy-duty CNG dump trucks and three heavy-duty CNG trucks. Through the Long Island Regional Energy Collaborative, GLICCC partnered with Nassau County, Suffolk County, the Town of Oyster Bay and Engineered Energy Solutions.

The grant funding comes from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (H.R.1) and was awarded as part of the Department of Energy’s Clean Cities program. On Wednesday, the DOE announced grants that will establish 542 refueling locations and deploy 9,000 vehicles nationally. The vehicles and infrastructure being funded include the use of natural and renewable gas, propane, ethanol, biodiesel, electricity, and hybrid technologies.

Rep. Israel also introduced the Clean Cities Authorization Act (H.R.3488), which directs the Secretary of Energy to carry out the Clean Cities program to encourage and accelerate the use of non-petroleum based fuels, alternative fuel vehicles and other advanced vehicle technologies to reduce the overall use of petroleum in the transportation sector.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                  One might need to check smog regulations before heeding such advice. If I went to get my car smogged and I had a kit installed, and had no EPA sticker under the hood... I'd have a heck of a time passing smog and possibly paying the fines.
                  When I recommended the Canadian option, I thought that because this was repair/testing of an existing system that the EPA rules wouldn't necessarily apply. I can certainly undertand how a new install would fall under their regulations,...
                  CDNCNG
                  2004 Ram 1500 dual fuel 5.7 Hemi
                  2001 Ram 3500 cargo 5.2 Dedicated

Comment

Frank,
                    I drive a 2001 Chevy van in the Albany area. There are quite a few CNG vehicles in the state fleet around here and so you can get inspections pretty easily. The Chevy dealer in Albany has a tech that is certified and does all repairs... and they even have parts in stock. So if you ever come through Albany, you should be able to get what you need.
                    Matt

Comment

I see that this post is over a year old but I'm curious to know how the OP (mgvros) made out with his van. Were you able to find anyone to service and inspect your van locally?

Comment

Working...
                      X