Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make sure your installs are done correcty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make sure your installs are done correcty!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4772381

Not trying to say this guys wasn't done correctly because we don't know the details of exactly what happened, just make sure that your installs are done per code. Often many don't know the code. If you don't know the code, or how the tanks should have been installed, this is a great place to find out. Even if you have a EPA approved kit, if you have added tanks, or had a "professional" shop install them, just make sure that have been installed correctly for the safety of your family and everyone else on the road.

Re: Make sure your installs are done correcty!

Originally posted by dbd View Post
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4772381

Not trying to say this guys wasn't done correctly because we don't know the details of exactly what happened, just make sure that your installs are done per code. Often many don't know the code. If you don't know the code, or how the tanks should have been installed, this is a great place to find out. Even if you have a EPA approved kit, if you have added tanks, or had a "professional" shop install them, just make sure that have been installed correctly for the safety of your family and everyone else on the road.
    A quick comment. Just because it does not come in the kit, does not mean it is not required by the various codes. One thing I've seen over the last year or so is the lack of an "additional check valves" to prevent fuel back flow to the fueling connector in the event of failure and 1/4 trun valves.

Larrycng

Comment

This article is EXACTLY why I fear pulling up to a CNG station when there are non factory CNG vehciles filling up.

I want regulation on this....it's highly dangerous. What if someone was smoking inside the vehicle during the fueling process? What if something triggered the smallest spark inside the vehicle? This could have been absolutely potentially disastrous. This person is more than likely NOT qualified to install CNG systems, it should be regulated and overviewed to ensure the safety of others.

Comment

An installation done 'to code' can still leak (although I highly doubt this guy did it 'to code').
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
          An installation done 'to code' can still leak (although I highly doubt this guy did it 'to code').
          One of these days, just for fun, I'd like to hang around some the cng fuel stations with a sniffer and a bottle of Snoop. I'd ask to look at the non factory cars, do a leak check on the tanks while the vehicle is being fueled and take a quick look at the installation to see how it complies NFPA 52.

I bet I'd get one "7734" of an education AND might help the owner avoid a problem. I wonder how the vehicle owner would react??

Just thinking

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
            Yes, and most DO leak, but a to-code installation has a very slim chance of leaking, and definitely not in large quantities, into the passenger compartment. This is why the tank valve and fittings are in sealed enclosures (usually bags) and connected to the outside air-space, and NOT the passenger compartment. I do hope any investigation that comes from this is made public, so we can see just what went wrong in this situation.
            1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
            2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

The one thing that we all missed (and I just thought of it and should know better) is preventative maintenance.

We all need to check for leaks once in while. A couple of days after a new installation the system will have a chance to "settle in" would be a real good time to check for leaks. Kinda of like re-torqueing the cylinder heads after a valve job.

Every month or two or at an oil change might be a good time to check for leaks (if the owner could be taught to do it and take the time).

Later

Larrycng

Comment

Preventive maintenance is good, but even better is testing a system thoroughly before subjecting others to its dangers. I would want to fill a new or modified CNG system several times before letting anyone else get near it, let alone sit inside the car while it's being filled.
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

I'm very concerned about this. I have a 98 Honda Civic that has given me no problems. How can I inspect this myself (or should I take it in as others suggested ?)

Comment

I think you can rest assured that your installation was done correctly.
                    02 GX
                    01 GX
                    03 Crown Vic
                    06 GX
                    Home Fueler

Comment

Your nose will tell you if a problem starts to develop.
                      02 GX
                      01 GX
                      03 Crown Vic
                      06 GX
                      Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by davidimc View Post
                        I'm very concerned about this. I have a 98 Honda Civic that has given me no problems. How can I inspect this myself (or should I take it in as others suggested ?)
                        As has been said, Honda did an outstanding job of putting the GX together. The method Honda used to seal the system against small leaks and vent things to outside makes them difficult to check. I would strongly advise against taking apart the rubber boots on the end of the tank and around the valve block under the back seat. I've done it on a '95 prototype and it is pain.

If you really need to check the system (for peace of mind and I don't believe it is necessary unless you smell something as was mentioned) find someone with an electronic methane detector and stick it in the vent outlet inside the fuel door and see if it registers. If you are really worried drop the metal cover under the vehicle where the gasoline fuel tank use to be and use a small fan (house hold cooling fan) to blow air through the vent system and check it again with the electronic methane detector. If it does not register you really good. The coalessing filter can be serviced while you under the vehicle if it hasn't been. If you don't know how to do it -- Get a professional,

This is overkill

Larrycng

Comment

The cylinders ought to be inspected every 3 years or 36,000 miles. Many of the older Hondas have a placard place there by the original fleet owner listing the dates of inspection. It is a good idea to get this done. You find qualified inspectors here:
                          http://webext.csa.ca/cng/cngmain.asp#searchinspector

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
                            The one thing that we all missed (and I just thought of it and should know better) is preventative maintenance.

We all need to check for leaks once in while. A couple of days after a new installation the system will have a chance to "settle in" would be a real good time to check for leaks. Kinda of like re-torqueing the cylinder heads after a valve job.

Every month or two or at an oil change might be a good time to check for leaks (if the owner could be taught to do it and take the time).

Later

Larrycng
                            OK Larry,
                            How do we do this? I live in Upstate NY where there is one mechanic in a 60+ radius that works on CNG cars. How do I inspect my system? It is factory installed IMPCO in a Chevy G van. I haven't ever smelled NG while filling or driving. How do I check?

Comment

Inspecting the fuel system is a MUST!

I had a fuel leak on my 00' Cavalier and it was coming from several places. One from the LPR and the second was from the LPL. It cost me around $300.00 to have them both replaced (I ordered the parts online and had a ASE cerified mechanic whom happens to be a friend of mine do the install).

We can probably (most of us) do repairs ourselves....but in the situation of CNG it is highly not recommended....and I stress, NOT RECOMMENDED to do a repair yourself. It's imperative you get a specialized knowledgable mechanic when it comes to maintenance of a CNG system. No price is worth the life of yourself or anyone else. Saving money is great, but saving a life is even better.

Thanks to everyone who participates in the form discussions. I much admire the tenacity of those who take time to evaluate the forums and reply with genuine thoughtfullness.

Keep the discussions flowing

Comment

Working...
                              X