New GX looking to get my HOV stickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New GX looking to get my HOV stickers

Bought a new Civic GX this past Saturday (1/29/2011) from Stevens Creek Honda. Thanks to you guys and this thread I paid close attention to the "Motive" box on the DMV reg and caught the finance guy's mistake.

The preprinted form actually had an "N" in the box and he changed it to a "G"! I saw the mistake and told him it needed to be an "N" as originally printed. He asked me what that was for and I told him the "G" would have killed my sticker request weeks from now.

He scratched it out and said their DMV processing person would have caught his mistake, but I'm not so sure. I just hope the scratched out letter doesn't cause any problems...

Took a picture with my phone in case there are any problems later.

Comment

timsuh,
      That shouldn't be a problem.
      GOOD job on forcing this issue.
      Did the dealer say you'll get your plates in a few days or 6 weeks. (Do you know if they are one that does the instant registration?)
      Again,
      Good catch.
      Aloha,
      Jeff

Comment

Jeff, a few weeks ago you posted DMV was trying to get the processing time down to 1-2 weeks by the end of January. I saw your post last week saying it was still 4 weeks. Any idea if DMV still trying to get these done more quickly? It appears the rate of GX purchases is getting higher the closer we approach 6/30...

Comment

I had a conversation a few days ago with them and one of the key Technicians got promoted (geez!) and their plans slowed a bit. I am expecting a call later today or in the am. There seemed to be some folks that had their apps processed, checks cashed and no stickers yet after 2 weeks. I hope that a bin is found and they're overnighted. (My enthusiasm, but it's been done.) I just don't have an answer yet. And yes, the increased sales are going to be an issue, and I want to head that off.
          The dealers are a substantial weak point, as they kind of lose the 'give a hoot' factor as soon as you drive out the door, even when they incorrectly title the car imposing a substantial cost to the consumer.
          I just need to talk with my 'folks' and make some suggestions, and keep motivating them.
          Aloha,
          Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff, Bought my 2nd GX just on the last day of 2010 and the dealer did the 'instant registration' on the following week (I guess they tool their time cashing my check).
            Got my plates (actually the dealer gave me the plate's info prior getting the actual plates) the dealer volunteered sending in my form for the HOV.
            Here is the catch - I paid the $8 in cash at the dealer, and they confirmed at the time the plate's info was available that they have mailed the form. I trusted them that they did, but is there a way to verify? other than to wait for non-arriving HOV stickers. I think I left my phone number on the form, would I get a call if no check was submitted with the form?

Comment

Send me a PM with your VIN, Plate # and titled name.
              I'll ask.
              When was you app supposedly sent in?
              Good deal on the instant reg. They want to make sure your check clears, as if there was a problem and they ended
              up with the car back, it wouldn't be a new car, and all that entails.(No tax deduction for a used car!) THATs why they wait.
              Best,
              Jeff

Comment

CaptJeff,

I left a message for the DMV clerk at Stevens Creek Honda and got a call back from the "Customer Relations" manager instead on Thursday (2/3/11). He said payment had cleared for my new Civic GX (purchased the Saturday before - 1/29/11) and the info had been transmitted electronically to the DMV that day. But he also said something about needing FedEx-ing the paperwork as a "back up".

I asked about checking their system for my license plate number, but he didn't know if that could be done. He was gonna check back with his DMV clerk and get back to me. I'll reply back with the details for the thread.

Comment

Timsuh,
                  If they 'electronically transmitted' the data to DMV that day, the next question for them is do they have and issue your
                  license plates. I have not heard of any dealers that electronically transmit the data that don't also have a plate inentory.
                  It's completely possible, but I haven't heard of it yet. Keep me posted, PM is best.
                  Aloha,
                  Jeff

Comment

Capt Jeff,

Any news on the status of processing time? It's been 7 weeks since I sent my application and check. (I've never in my life wanted someone to cash my check so badly before.) Any update you get would be helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm expecting a processing date status today, and will post here when I get it.
                      I will get a scoop and post as soon as I can.

I would expect your stickers any day. A week ago they were in January.
                      On 1/26 they were finishing 12/27 apps.
                      Best,
                      Jeff

Comment

Ok, as of today, 2/11/11, they just finished 1/10/11 apps, right at 30 CALENDAR days.
                        Best,
                        Jeff

Comment

For what it's worth, I bought my GX on November 1. Plates arrived the last week of December. I sent my sticker application to DMV on January 7th, and got my stickers yesterday, February 11. Can't wait to hit the carpool lane on Monday :-)

Big thanks to Capt Jeff for the help and advice on this!!!

Comment

For those interested: Sent app in Dec 27th, processed Feb 4th and received in the mail Feb 11th. Good luck all!

Comment

I have a dump question but I need the answer urgent so I'll ask anyway. I look up under this link http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm and know that a 1998 Honda Civic GX is eligible for the carpool sticker. My question is, are all 1998 Civic GX eligible or only a certain VIN # are? The reason why I asked is because the gentleman who's selling me the car told me to verify this before buying. Thank you in advance.

Comment

SFNative,
                                In response to your info about sending in your app to the SPU the last week of January, Currently the SPU is working on
                                apps received on/about 1/15/11.
                                To make sure you have no delay in the processing, check the following:
                                1)make sure your title or registration shows a Motive Power of "N" and not "G", and
                                2)Check your copy of the Reg1000 you submitted and make sure you included both your plate number and
                                Vin number on it. You have to have the Plate number to be able to submitt the form.
                                DMV receives the apps about 2 days after they are sent anywhere in CA. Expect about 30 days or less from then
                                to receive your stickers.
                                If for any reason the dealer mis-titled the car as "G", you will have to get a verification done at DMV, and get it entered into their system. If this happened, and you get the change made, when your app hits the processing technician, they will issue your stickers as opposed to rejecting it.

We all realize that in some locations getting natural gas can be a bit of a challenge (we only use such terminology here, btw, please) but actually you will soon find the locations that are convenient to you and add them to your routine. Thankfully, access to most CNG stations now is with MC/Visa, but it wasn't that way for a long time. The substantial effort that a lot of us have put forth to help motivate municipalities and organizations to consider adding CNG (and in my case EV) infrastructure, has been partly rewarding to us with single occupant HOV lane access. It's a slow and time consuming process. There are CNG stations that are just getting V/MC access that I put effort into supporting their initial conception many years ago.
                                Be a little patient, and in the future, you will enjoy how minimal the maintenance is on the GX.
                                Best,
                                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X