New GX looking to get my HOV stickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New GX looking to get my HOV stickers

I thought I'd chime in here with an update on White Sticker processing scoop. As of 01/05/2011, the Special Processing Unit was processing applications for ILEV's received 11/22/2010. Yes, there has been a large backlog.

I got a call from my contact who has been working with the manager of the SPU to improve the handling of these applications. They have retrained the technicians who were rejecting apps incorrectly,
    and now have assigned several Senior Motor Vehicle technicians to get through the backlog.
    So, they have folks working Saturday now to get this backlog down, and the goal (through the reporting manager) is to get the processing time down to a one to two week timeframe, by the end of January. There is a sincere effort to
    really make things work right.

If anyone is buying a CNG vehicle, please make ABSOLUTELY certain that the MP or Motive power is listed as "N" and NOT "G" when the original paperwork is filled out. Additionally you need your plate number to fill out a Reg 1000.

Hope this answers a lot of questions.
    If anyone gets what they feel is an inaccurate rejection, send me a Private message.

FWIW, I don't work for DMV!

Aloha,
    Jeff

Comment

Next time you talk to them, could you find out how many applications we are talking about? Can't be more than something like 100 per month, or can it? If they hadn't incompetently rejected so many valid applications, they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. Even if the motive power says 'G' the VIN (at least for GXs) is proof that it is an NGV -- why put the citizen through so much hassle because either the DMV or the dealer made a small mistake. I know that the DMV screwed up each of my 3 GX registrations (no dealer involved) until I corrected them. Luckily, I corrected the problem before I left the office. Also, making the citizen get plates first (1-2 month delay for a new car) is also totally unnecessary -- again, they could send the stickers based on the VIN and get them to the citizen that much sooner.

State efficiency in action: I emailed a complaint to the PUC. They mailed me a letter with the 'wrong' answer (cost: time to print, printing materials, stamp). There was no direct way to contact the bozo who wrote the letter, so his co-workers and I spent about 1/2 hour getting through to him. If he had just replied by email I could have pointed out to him directly where he had screwed-up at virtually no cost to anybody, but the state wasted maybe $100 because their 'system' doesn't let them reply to an online complaint by email.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

Over all, I have had pretty good luck with 5 applications in the past. Motive power came up once and Capt. Jeff took care of it very quickly. As I mentioned in a past post, on one occasion I received the stickers a week or two before the plates arrived. The plate number was included with the packet. I am interested to see how quickly the latest application for my Honda fcx will be processed. 41 days so far.
        Last edited by scott; 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Bravo Capt. Jeff! Really appreciate your effort in setting things right over there.

I just mailed my GX HOV sticker application this week, I will keep my fingers crossed and look forward to the more positive outcome.

Comment

OK - one more question regarding this. (I can read forms and understand them, but trying to think like a DMV employee can be frustrating).

When I applied for my first set of stickers I had to get a 'special' Fastrak transponder ('special' meant a green sticker affixed to the transponder).

On the REG1000 form, it says that evidence of a Fastrak account must be submitted for 'hybrids'. My GX plates just arrived.

I will get a Fastrak transponder for this car anyway, but can I simply buy one at Costco and register it online, sending that proof of registration in to the DMV with the REG1000 or do I have to go through the rigmarole of applying for a special 'hybrid' tag through Fastrak?

I don't consider the GX a 'hybrid', but it sounds like the DMV does. But does Fastrak?

Comment

Originally posted by jsorger View Post
              OK - one more question regarding this. (I can read forms and understand them, but trying to think like a DMV employee can be frustrating).

When I applied for my first set of stickers I had to get a 'special' Fastrak transponder ('special' meant a green sticker affixed to the transponder).

On the REG1000 form, it says that evidence of a Fastrak account must be submitted for 'hybrids'. My GX plates just arrived.

I will get a Fastrak transponder for this car anyway, but can I simply buy one at Costco and register it online, sending that proof of registration in to the DMV with the REG1000 or do I have to go through the rigmarole of applying for a special 'hybrid' tag through Fastrak?

I don't consider the GX a 'hybrid', but it sounds like the DMV does. But does Fastrak?
              --------------------------
              not exactly the same, but here is the response I received from FastTrak when I asked if I needed to get a new transponder when switching from Civic Hybrid to GX:

Dear FasTrak Customer,

You will need to contact DMV regarding the natural gas HOV stickers. No need to
              replace your toll tag, it can be used with this vehicle.

Thank you for using FasTrak.

FasTrak Customer Service Center
              P.O. Box 26926
              San Francisco, CA 94126
              www.bayareafastrak.org
              1-877-BAY-TOLL (229-8655)

-------------------------
              Original Message:

I have a Civic Hybrid with a hybrid Fasttrack. Since hybrids won't be allowed
              in the HOV lane starting 1/1/2011, I am considering switching to a Civic GX
              (natural gas) where I can get a white HOV sticker. Would I need to change
              fasttrack devices for my new car? I am guessing the same should work

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
                Next time you talk to them, could you find out how many applications we are talking about? Can't be more than something like 100 per month, or can it? If they hadn't incompetently rejected so many valid applications, they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. Even if the motive power says 'G' the VIN (at least for GXs) is proof that it is an NGV -- why put the citizen through so much hassle because either the DMV or the dealer made a small mistake. I know that the DMV screwed up each of my 3 GX registrations (no dealer involved) until I corrected them. Luckily, I corrected the problem before I left the office. Also, making the citizen get plates first (1-2 month delay for a new car) is also totally unnecessary -- again, they could send the stickers based on the VIN and get them to the citizen that much sooner.
                First of all, There is no doubt that there was a technician who was making mistakes.
                I do not know the exact number, but there are quite a few applications that are processed every month, and it does take time. There have been problems caused by other folks, such as manufacturers.

Saying that a single letter "G" vs "N" is a minor mistake is simply not the case. If a dealer incorrectly titles a vehicle, and puts down one wrong number, that's one big mistake, just like the wrong MP. It's as big of a mistake as if one wrong number on a large ACH debit ended up in your checking account and all 25 of your monthly bills bounced. Should DMV have a system that automatically provides MP by VIN#? Probably but it's a huge system and setting up a system so that Manufacturers would supply VIN sequences to get vehicles qualified as ILEV's, etc. would be prohibitively expensive, considering there are 8-9000 CNG's with HOV stickers, and how many million cars without? It's the ARB's responsibility to certify ILEV, etc anyway.
                BTW, There was a dealer who was illegally titling Honda insights (first gen) as "E" for electric. That created a complex problem, but all the stickers were retrieved. It was no small number. I would've called that FRAUD.

By the way, although the VIN can be deciphered against the ARB's list of qualifying vehicles, if a vehicle is illegally (incorrectly) titled, and it's obviously the dealers fault, why expect DMV to fix it automatically?

As far as requiring a plate number before applying for stickers, basically that assures that there is an actual record in the DMV system to start with.

As far as it taking 1 to 2 months to get plates, that is dealer specific. Many dealers have a system with a vendor that actually has both plates in inventory and the ability to input all the data on the 'report of sale of motor vehicle' directly into the DMV system, such as Auto Club. If a customer pays with certified funds, to the satisfaction of the dealer, the dealer can issue plates and PERMANENT registration immediately. That's how I bought my last GX, I bought my car on Saturday, had proof of funds from the dealer on tuesday, and my plate number and app went in that day. I had my stickers in 2 weeks total. DMV's goal is within the next few weeks to get the processing time down to 1-2 weeks. The delay in acquiring a plate number (essentially getting the VIN a plate assigned to it and a DMV record created) is a function of whether the dealer has access to this kind of system (their choice and cost) or not.
                I really didn't want to discuss this as I didn't believe that Curtis's dealer had this in the past, and he's done so much for CNG's, but, you brought it up kind of insinuating DMV, and it's a dealer issue.

So there is no doubt that some inappropriate rejections have happened, and while those were unfortunate, My contact at DMV made sure those were corrected and promptly. How promptly? One person emailed me on Friday and had their stickers the next Tuesday.
                I really do what I can to help out our community.
                Now I see another PM about HOV stickers, so I'm going to see how I can help them!
                Aloha,
                Jeff
                Last edited by CaptJeff; 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

CaptJeff,

Thanks for the information. But I don't see why you alone cannot change the WHOLE DMV system. While you are at it, it'll be great if you can solve our state budget crisis of ga-trillion dollars. Also, it would be great if you can get the national unemployment rate down to...shall we aim for 0%.

All jokes aside, you have been and continue to be invaluable to GX owners....especially those counting down the minutes for elusive HOV stickers.

Thanks for all that you do.

Comment

You're welcome!
                    I appreciate the support.
                    Aloha,
                    Jeff

Comment

I just received my title (but not yet my plates). I see under Fuel there is a "G". I believe this should have been "N" for Natural Gas, correct? I think I have read hear I will need to go to a DMV office with the GX to get this corrected. Is there a form I need to fill out to do this, or just bring the car and Title?

Comment

Go to the DMV and park in the 'inspection' lane. The inspector will fill out a form (make sure they do it right this time) and you take that inside to have the motive power changed.
                        02 GX
                        01 GX
                        03 Crown Vic
                        06 GX
                        Home Fueler

Comment

Yep, it's off to the dmv with the vehicle for you. Did you buy this new from a dealer ? If so , go back to the dealer and make them do the work to correct the error on the "report of sale".

don't send the form 1000 for the HOV stickers until you have a title with "N" in the mp section.

Sorry

P.S. I need to learn to type faster, someone beat me to the reply
                          Last edited by Lakewood90712; 01-22-2011, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks - I probably would have forgotten to park in the inspection lane and waited in line first!

Comment

Take the car, title, registration and go to the DMV to get a verification of motive power, and they should be able to change the data in their system immediately.
                              I would also bring this up to your dealer who negligently incorrectly titled your car, and unnecessarily put you through this extra effort.
                              You can apply for the HOV stickers with the VIN and Plate number but will need to have the MP changed before the
                              application gets to the processing technician or it'll get rejected.
                              If you chose to mail your app in before getting DMV to change it, I would include a short large print note:

"The Motive power on this vehicle is "N", Compressed Gas, and this vehicle qualifies for the White ILEV HOV decals. The dealer incorrectly titled the car as :G: for gas, but this should have been changed in the DMV system by the time you process this application."

Since DMV is stepping up HOV decal processing speed, this may motivate a tech to hold onto you app for a few days or call you. Make sure to include a cell phone # that you will answer if they call.

Aloha,
                              Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff! I did go to DMV Tuesday, had my car verified, took the verification sheet inside and the motive power was changed to "N" (less than an hour total which may be a land speed record at DMV). Then I copied the temporary title showing the correct motive power (circled) and included with the application I sent in that afternoon. Had my fueling training from PG&E yesterday (always good to have more fueling options, the PG&E guy said requests for their CNG cards was "way up" this year), and fueled my car for the first time at Specialty Waste in Santa Clara (had to wait for the Garbage Truck to complete fueling). It was a "gas" <g> - reminded me of fueling propane fork-lifts when I worked at a fruit cannery MANY years ago. Hopefully with the improved processing speed, I will see the stickers soon. I did not think to include my cell phone number with the application, but hopefully since the DMV computer entry shows motive power "N", it will work OK

Comment

Working...
                                X