Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AB 1500 Going to Governor - Drop Whatever You are Doing and Write Him Now!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AB 1500 Going to Governor - Drop Whatever You are Doing and Write Him Now!!!!!!!!!!!

AB 1500 has passed, and from what I understand from the CNGVC, may go to the governor as early as next Monday. The governor apparently has 12 days to act on the bill. If it is not signed (i.e., vetoed), then our HOV access expires at the end of this year. The bill does NOT extend access for hybrids.

I am attaching a copy of a letter that I am sending as a Word document. Do not make your letter identical, but I think the main points are:
    • NGV vehicles are not hybrids, there are many difficulties involved, e.g., refueling. The hybrid market will do fine without HOV incentives, the individual market for CNG will go away without the HOV incentive.
    • There are currently relatively few CNG vehicles, so the HOV incentive is a cheap way to create an incentive and it will have minimal effect on HOV capacity.
    • CNG vehicles are the cleanest internal combustion engines around, we need to encourage them, not discourage them.

In addition to attaching my letter, I am placing a cut and past below:

June 22, 2010

The Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Governor of California
    State Capitol Building
    Sacramento, CA 95814

Re: Assembly Bill 1500 (Lieu) – STRONG SUPPORT

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

I drive a natural gas vehicle every day to take my children to school and myself to work.

I am writing to express strong support for Assembly Bill 1500 which will extend until January 1, 2015 the validity and issuance of the white stickers that allow single occupants (or in my case, 2 occupants in an area where HOV lanes require 3 occupants) to use HOV lanes.

There is one important point I would like to make regarding why the relatively small number of CNG vehicles in the state should continue to be allowed to use the HOV lanes, while the ability of hybrids to use the lanes at the end of the year will sunset.

Hybrids have continued to sell at an increasing rate, even though no new HOV stickers have been issued for hybrids for a number of years. Hybrids are less hassle to drive than ordinary gasoline vehicles – they can be filled at any gas station, and generally have a much larger range per fill-up than comparable gasoline-only vehicles. Hybrid sales will continue to increase without the ability to drive in HOV lanes.

In contrast, driving a CNG vehicle can be more hassle than an ordinary gasoline powered vehicle because places to fill up are few and far between – the entire City and County of San Francisco has 6 (that’s six, not a typo) public CNG stations. The range of a CNG vehicle is also less than a comparable gasoline vehicle and they cost about $5,000 more than comparable gasoline vehicles.

CNG vehicles are the cleanest internal combustion vehicles on the road. It is in the interests of California to keep the existing CNG vehicles on the road, and to encourage individuals to replace their existing gasoline vehicles with CNG vehicles.

The White Clean Car Sticker is a very significant incentive for people to purchase CNG vehicles. If this HOV lane incentive is removed, it will have a serious impact on the individual market for CNG vehicles in California.

I can tell you I am on my second CNG vehicle, but, as much as I loved my first, I would not have bought my second if the HOV lane incentive had been removed. It is even possible that some people will would sell their existing CNG vehicles as the extra hassle would no longer be offset by the HOV incentive.

We need more CNG vehicles on the road not less. The HOV lane access is a practical, low cost way to keep the individual market for CNG vehicles from ending, and to encourage further innovation and development. I urge you to sign the bill to encourage more CNG vehicles..

Attached Files

Re: AB 1500 Going to Governor - Drop Whatever You are Doing and Write Him Now!!!!!!!!

Lets see if he puts his money where his mouth is..

http://www.pickensplan.com/boonecam/...one-shout-out/
    Silver 09 GX
    Phill G:1.5

Comment

Re: AB 1500 Going to Governor - Drop Whatever You are Doing and Write Him Now!!!!!!!!

Time is of the essence so email the governor (I couldn't post the link because of the rules of the forum - I am new) Just do a google search on "email Governor Schwarzenegger")

Here is another sample of a letter:

I am writing to express strong support for Assembly Bill 1500 which will extend until January 1, 2015 the validity and issuance of the white stickers that allow single occupants to use HOV lanes.

As you may know, T. Boone Pickens is strongly endorsing the use of natural gas in vehicles as a part of his plan to end our dependence on foreign oil. Currently, there are very few natural gas vehicles being purchased by the public. This bill would provide an incentive for more Californians to purchase these vehicles, which would be a huge step toward energy independence. In addition, CNG vehicles are the cleanest internal combustion vehicles on the road. It is in the interests of California to keep the existing CNG vehicles on the road, and to encourage individuals to replace their existing gasoline vehicles with CNG vehicles.

The White Clean Car Sticker is a very significant incentive for people to purchase CNG vehicles. If this HOV lane incentive is removed, it will have a serious impact on the individual market for CNG vehicles in California. There are many challenges facing CNG vehicle drivers like myself. Owners must plan carefully to keep their vehicles fueled, since there are very few stations available to purchase CNG. In addition, it is more difficult to find mechanics who are familiar with the cars and have the expertise to make some types of repairs. If the carpool lane incentive is removed, I fear that many CNG vehicle drivers will sell their cars to purchase a car that runs on regular gasoline and therefore does not require these extra efforts.

We need more CNG vehicles on the road not less. The HOV lane access is practical, low cost way to keep the individual market for CNG vehicles from ending, and to encourage further innovation and development. I urge you to sign the bill to encourage more CNG vehicles.

Comment

I would urge everyone writing to use "CNG, Electric and Hydrogen Fuel Cell advanced technology vehicles that meet the Federal ILEV 'Gold standard' for emissions. This bill does not include hybrids for 2 reasons, 1) they don't meed this 'Gold Standard' and 2) they need no incentives as do the advanced technology vehicles only which are included in this bill.

Comment

I have heard that real letters have more weight than emails. Mail is usually delivered within two days anywhere in California.

Originally posted by njbenny View Post
          Time is of the essence so email the governor (I couldn't post the link because of the rules of the forum - I am new) Just do a google search on "email Governor Schwarzenegger")

Here is another sample of a letter:

I am writing to express strong support for Assembly Bill 1500 which will extend until January 1, 2015 the validity and issuance of the white stickers that allow single occupants to use HOV lanes.

As you may know, T. Boone Pickens is strongly endorsing the use of natural gas in vehicles as a part of his plan to end our dependence on foreign oil. Currently, there are very few natural gas vehicles being purchased by the public. This bill would provide an incentive for more Californians to purchase these vehicles, which would be a huge step toward energy independence. In addition, CNG vehicles are the cleanest internal combustion vehicles on the road. It is in the interests of California to keep the existing CNG vehicles on the road, and to encourage individuals to replace their existing gasoline vehicles with CNG vehicles.

The White Clean Car Sticker is a very significant incentive for people to purchase CNG vehicles. If this HOV lane incentive is removed, it will have a serious impact on the individual market for CNG vehicles in California. There are many challenges facing CNG vehicle drivers like myself. Owners must plan carefully to keep their vehicles fueled, since there are very few stations available to purchase CNG. In addition, it is more difficult to find mechanics who are familiar with the cars and have the expertise to make some types of repairs. If the carpool lane incentive is removed, I fear that many CNG vehicle drivers will sell their cars to purchase a car that runs on regular gasoline and therefore does not require these extra efforts.

We need more CNG vehicles on the road not less. The HOV lane access is practical, low cost way to keep the individual market for CNG vehicles from ending, and to encourage further innovation and development. I urge you to sign the bill to encourage more CNG vehicles.

Comment

Here is a way to send Arnold an email: gov.ca.gov/interact#email

Comment

Letter is too long. Needs to be short and to the point. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HarryT View Post
                Here is a way to send Arnold an email: gov.ca.gov/interact#email

Nice! Short and easy way to show our support. I just sent him an email. Thanks!

Comment

An email is better than doing nothing at all. But, a real physical letter has more impact. I have heard this from lobbyists and friends that work in government.

Originally posted by Akamai View Post
                  Nice! Short and easy way to show our support. I just sent him an email. Thanks!

Comment

For this situation, me thinks a fax is superior to both email and snail mail. Here's what I faxed yesterday, shorter and more direct than the other letters I've seen.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
                    State Capitol Building
                    Fax: 916.558-3160

I am writing to express strong support for Assembly Bill 1500, which I understand is waiting for your approval. This bill extends until January 1, 2015, the validity and issuance of the white stickers which allow single occupants to use HOV lanes.

These white stickers are issued primarily (exclusively?) to vehicles which run on natural gas (CNG). As you know, natural gas is America’s fuel and burns totally clean. People like myself who own a CNG car experience challenges because there are few CNG stations, and CNG mechanics are rare as well. We accept these burdens because we are proud to drive a car which doesn’t rely on foreign fossil fuel.

Maintaining the HOV status of CNG vehicles is a small incentive and reward to promote CNG ownership. Only about 9,000 white stickers have been issued, so continuing that sticker’s HOV status has no impact on California’s many miles of carpool lanes.

We need more CNG vehicles on the road, not less. The HOV lane access is a practical, no-cost way to encourage the individual market for CNG to continue and grow, and to stimulate further innovation and development. I urge you to sign the bill.

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Excellent letter.

I think the most important message for us to get across is that there is a burden to owning a CNG car, justifying the incentive which is not necessary for hybrids. The question that our letters should all answer is why the incentive should continue for CNG while it is sunsetting for hybrids.

Originally posted by maven View Post
                      For this situation, me thinks a fax is superior to both email and snail mail. Here's what I faxed yesterday, shorter and more direct than the other letters I've seen.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
                      State Capitol Building
                      Fax: 916.558-3160

I am writing to express strong support for Assembly Bill 1500, which I understand is waiting for your approval. This bill extends until January 1, 2015, the validity and issuance of the white stickers which allow single occupants to use HOV lanes.

These white stickers are issued primarily (exclusively?) to vehicles which run on natural gas (CNG). As you know, natural gas is America’s fuel and burns totally clean. People like myself who own a CNG car experience challenges because there are few CNG stations, and CNG mechanics are rare as well. We accept these burdens because we are proud to drive a car which doesn’t rely on foreign fossil fuel.

Maintaining the HOV status of CNG vehicles is a small incentive and reward to promote CNG ownership. Only about 9,000 white stickers have been issued, so continuing that sticker’s HOV status has no impact on California’s many miles of carpool lanes.

We need more CNG vehicles on the road, not less. The HOV lane access is a practical, no-cost way to encourage the individual market for CNG to continue and grow, and to stimulate further innovation and development. I urge you to sign the bill.

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Here is a place to email the gov:

http://gov.ca.gov/interact
                        02 GX
                        01 GX
                        03 Crown Vic
                        06 GX
                        Home Fueler

Comment

OK, since this thread is getting repetitive (the email address was given above), I will repeat what I said last time after the email address was given - real letters are far superior to email.

The governor's fax number is 916.558-3160.

I note that the California Natural Gas Vehicle Coaltion also recommends faxing the governor, and does not even mention emailing as an option: http://www.cngvc.org/pdf/newsletters...ews_062810.pdf

Originally posted by freedml View Post
                          Here is a place to email the gov:

http://gov.ca.gov/interact

Comment

Another twist: SB535 (see the Mercury News for the story)

Assembly OKs expansion of carpool perk
                            By Gary Richards

[email protected]

Posted: 06/28/2010 06:53:18 PM PDT
                            Updated: 06/28/2010 07:14:32 PM PDT

Related coverage
                            Electric cars, alternative energy, cleantech.
                            Automotive news and reviews.
                            State lawmakers reached a major compromise Monday that would allow up to 40,000 solo drivers in electric and alternative fuel vehicles to use California's carpool lanes through 2015.

On a 64-8 vote, the state Assembly approved legislation to allow electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids and cars that run on alternative fuels such as compressed natural gas to be driven in diamond lanes with just the driver inside.

The current carpool perk for these vehicles and non-plug-in hybrids like the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic was set to end Jan. 1. But drivers of regular hybrids would get only a brief reprieve. They would be allowed in the carpool lane an extra six months, until July 1, 2011.

SB 535, sponsored by Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, must be approved by the Senate before consideration by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Legislative aides in Sacramento said passage of the bill was likely, given its potential to boost sales for the state's growing electric vehicle industry.

"SB 535 will provide a great incentive for car manufacturers to develop higher emission standards," Yee said in a statement, "and for individuals to purchase greener vehicles."

Two bills had been working through the Legislature. One would have extended the current program, while the second was limited to electric and alternative fuel vehicles, but only plug-ins that got 65 mpg or more.

The compromise eliminated the 65 mpg requirement and merged elements of

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            the two bills. The new bill, if approved, would make plug-ins that operate on batteries and gasoline more attractive to those seeking a faster commute who don't want to worry about batteries losing their charge or trying to find a location to fill up with compressed natural gas.

The state allowed single-occupant hybrid drivers to purchase carpool stickers several years ago, and when the 75,000 limit was quickly reached, another 10,000 cars were allowed into the program.

These vehicles were given yellow stickers, while electric cars and those running on CNG received white stickers, but only 10,000 of those are now on state roads.

That number will certainly soar as more electric vehicles like the Nissan Leaf and plug-in hybrids like the Toyota Prius and Chevy Volt go on sale within a year.

Motorist Chris Mossing of San Jose is already thinking ahead. He stopped driving his gas-guzzling Mustang convertible and bought a Honda Civic hybrid with the carpool perk for his 23-mile commute to Mountain View.

His next likely car of choice: the all-electric Nissan Leaf, which can go 100 miles on a charge. It would enable him to cut his round-trip drive by 40 minutes.

"That's the primary reason," said Mossing, 54. "This perk motivated me to go from the Mustang to the Civic hybrid.

"My wife said I went from cool to an old fart's car. But I can drive that diamond lane faster than any Porsche in rush hour."

Sure to be unhappy, however, are the thousands of Prius and Civic owners who will have only one more year to enjoy their commutes in the carpool lane if Yee's bill becomes law.

Some say they would be willing to pay as much as $1,000 to keep their stickers. But that is not going to happen, officials say.

"Reality is starting to sink in," said Vinod Kasturi, a hybrid owner, "and it's not pretty."

Would you purchase a vehicle that would qualify for the diamond lane program? Contact Gary Richards at 408-920-5335.

Comment

Faxed my letter today, with an added point about potential benefits to the travel industry. Here's the excerpt:

"We need more CNG vehicles on the road, not less to make CNG-based businesses profitable. CNG is less costly than gasoline and many would travel more if CNG fueling stations were more widely available. Fueling costs for recent (within the last year) round trips in my GX, from Orange County to Sequoia National Park, cost 1/3 (<$50) that of my Suburban ($150+). Tourism would benefit with more CNG infrastructure available. I would love to vacation along Northern California’s coast but am waiting for CNG fueling stations to become available. I’m sure many would also prefer to put their money towards the California (and U.S.) travel industry rather than towards overseas oil."
                              White '09 GX

Comment

Working...
                              X