HOV Expiration for CNG Civic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOV Expiration for CNG Civic?

I am new to this forum (just found it and signed up today) so forgive me for getting into a topic that I'm sure has been covered time and time again on here. I am about to begin the process of purchasing a Civic GX in order to access the carpool lane. We are moving to Valencia and I work in Century City. This access will shave a significant amount of time off my trip each day. I am wondering if the November 11, 2011 expiration date on the single driver stickers includes the Civic GX? If it does, do we think that the GX might get extended due to it being alternative fuel?
    Last edited by JMO; 12-28-2009, 11:56 PM.

Re: HOV Expiration for CNG Civic?

Hi Yes it does expire and you might want to look through the forums for additional information lots of stuff here, lets hope the law is revived and we keep our stickers

Comment

Curt will be the best person to answer that. the law is up for renewal with a couple of different versions. one being for dedicated alternate fuel vehicles only such as what u are looking at and the other adds hybrids of 65mpg average (hope it goes this way as it will encourage diesel electric hybrids) and above so all priuses etc are out. I believe there are yellow and white carpool lane stickers with white being the permenant and yellow expiring in 2011 of hybrids... As curt is not far from Valencia in CA driving terms and sells hondas you should definitely give him a call and pay him a visit...

Comment

Thank you. Who is Curt? Is he a GX dealer?

Comment

Correct. Curtis Martin at Robertson's Palmdale Honda. He is a co-founder of CNGchat.com and should likely pop in here soon to give his two cents on the topic... I will send him a PM (personal message) via the chat board.
          http://www.robertsonshonda.com/home.html

Comment

JMO, sorry to jump in late on this, but better late than never. There have been a lot of great answers provided already, but I will see what I can add. Soutthpaw covered the 2 remaining pieces of legislation that are still alive, although they are held in the Sate Senate as a 2 year bill while the option of HOT (High Occupancy Toll) lanes is being reviewed.

It is possible, given the budgetary shortfall the state is experiencing, that the HOT lanes will prove too much of a temptation for legislators to ignore. NGV America and other organizations are working to help get the sunset date extended again, as it has been 3 times prior.

Even if the HOT lanes are approved, effectively eliminating HOV lanes, it doesn't mean that it's curtains for us Alt fuels enthusiasts. Areas like San Francisco have exemptions for alt fueled vehicles on their toll roads and bridges and it's possible that such a situation could be written into the new law, or even added at a future date.

As it stands, you'd still have a full year of cruising in the carpool lane, regardless of what the ultimate outcome is. So look at it this way; if you save 15 minutes each way this year, that's the equivelent of a 3 week vacation over the next 12 mo. It's time you can probably find a better use for than sitting in LA traffic!

Comment

Unlimited stickers still available for 2001 and newer GXs (and all other cars on the CARB list).
              02 GX
              01 GX
              03 Crown Vic
              06 GX
              Home Fueler

Comment

Thanks for all the good info. Is there anything that we as individuals should be doing to make sure one or the other of the two pending bills gets through the process? Is AB 1500 better for us or SB 535?

Comment

AB1500 and SB535 were placed on inactive in the senate and is replaced with SB927, pretty much our last hope.
                  Please have a look at the cngvc.org website for updates.
                  You will find the current policies here.
                  http://www.cngvc.org/pdf/newsletters...ews_040510.pdf

Luigi
                  Silver 09 GX
                  Phill G:1.5

Comment

I am reading through SB927, and it does not seem to grant white stickers single occupant CNG access. Totally different bill.

The article you reference states that there are "two other bills" for white sticker extension. Both of those bills have stalled and are on inactive.

From what I can tell, SB927 will not help us if it passes. My reading shows it to be a bill that allows Caltrans to place devices in carpool lanes that restrict or enable the lane to more or less passengers at a specific period of time. It also allows special vehicles access to carpool lanes, but it does not say anything about clean energy vehicles:

"A motorcycle, a mass transit vehicle, or a paratransit vehicle that is
                    clearly and identifiably marked on all sides of the vehicle with the
                    name of the paratransit provider may be operated upon those exclusive
                    or preferential use lanes unless specifically prohibited by a
                    traffic control device."

Did you see something different somewhere?

Thanks!
                    Last edited by skierrob; 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

As perCNGVC.org
                      SB-927
                      In brief: Spot bill on HOV lanes.
                      Details: The Legislature is considering two other bills, AB 1500 (Lieu) and SB 535 (Yee), that would extend HOV lane access for NGVs. AB 1500 is sponsored by the Coalition.

It might not be in the literature as of yet as they are considering adding 1500 and 535 into it.

Thanks,
                      L
                      Silver 09 GX

Comment

Right. I take that to mean that there are two other bills that will handlle HOV lane access for NGV's, and that SB 927 won't be a part of that discussion. Just my opinion, of course. But the language of the bill has already been written and is going through committee, and it does not mention clean air vehicles.

Comment

I read both 927 and 744 and there is no mention to NGVs usage in the HOV lane.
                          I am only able to speculate that the details provided by cngvc.org are the internal happenings of legislation and the language will be amended to add NGV's.
                          Silver 09 GX

Comment

Working...
                          X