Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current HOV Lane Legislation in CA (extends HOV Access for CNG through 2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current HOV Lane Legislation in CA (extends HOV Access for CNG through 2015)

It looks like AB 1500 is headed towards passage. It's progress can be followed here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po...rch_type=email .

It would extend CNG and electric access through the end of 2015, Hybrids would have their access cut off at the end of 2010.

One interesting sidelight - I noticed a few weeks ago that in amending the current statute, because of renumbering from the removal of the reference to Hybrids the requirement of paying a toll on the Bay Bridges would also apply to CNG and Electric! After a flurry of emails and a phone call or two from me, the sponsor agreed that was not the intent but an error in drafting, and the new version of the bill posted yesterday corrects this error.

Re: Current HOV Lane Legislation in CA (extends HOV Access for CNG through 2015)

Good catch. Thanks for you efforts.

Comment

Re: Current HOV Lane Legislation in CA (extends HOV Access for CNG through 2015)

This bill does not authorize free bridge tolls for alternative-fuel vehicles. It states that if the MTC allows certain other (carpool-eligible) vehicles free tolls, it must allow alternative-fuel vehicles free tolls. MTC, as BATA, was to have a meeting in May discussing the extension or non-extension of the free tolls, but the meeting was canceled and not rescheduled. Does anyone have any new information about BATA's intent?

Comment

I was speaking in shorthand. Actually, the bill now carries forward the existing language, which reads as follows:

If the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, serving as the
        Bay Area Toll Authority, grants toll-free and reduced-rate passage on
        toll bridges under its jurisdiction to any vehicle pursuant to
        Section 30102.5 of the Streets and Highways Code, it shall also grant
        the same toll-free and reduced-rate passage to a vehicle displaying
        an identifier issued by the department pursuant to paragraph (1) or
        (2) of subdivision

Assuming the statute means what it says, I have always thought that CNG cars should get free passage 24/7 - given that buses get free passage 24/7, so CNG cars should receive "the same toll-free and reduced rate passage.":
        Commute Bus may cross toll-free at any time in designated lane(s), in accordance with operational procedures.

http://bata.mtc.ca.gov/tolls/schedule.htm

Originally posted by joeflyer View Post
        This bill does not authorize free bridge tolls for alternative-fuel vehicles. It states that if the MTC allows certain other (carpool-eligible) vehicles free tolls, it must allow alternative-fuel vehicles free tolls. MTC, as BATA, was to have a meeting in May discussing the extension or non-extension of the free tolls, but the meeting was canceled and not rescheduled. Does anyone have any new information about BATA's intent?

Comment

I would be real interested if the reduced tolls apply to the 3+ fast track lanes as well (hwy 91). They are owned by the Orange County Transit Autority (?). OCTA.

Comment

I was just checking in on this, and it looks like the Senate voted to reduce the extension to 3 years instead of 5.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/...d_sen_v96.html

This bill would extend the date, to January 1, 2014 , that specified low-emission vehicles can use high-occupancy lanes, the department can issue low-emission decals or other identifiers, and that illegal use of a department-issued decal on a low-emission vehicle is considered
            a misdemeanor, creating a state-mandated local program.

Anybody have any information on this?

Comment

...just an update that as of yesterday, this revised bill (3-yr extension) has been placed on a second reading file. I'm not sure exactly what a "second reading" means , but hopefully, it's moving along in the right direction!

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/...18_status.html

Comment

Looks like AB 1500 is being read in the senate Today/Yesterday, Third and Final Reading..

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...sen_floor.html
                Last edited by lcovelli; 08-20-2009, 01:50 PM.
                Silver 09 GX
                Phill G:1.5

Comment

thanks lcovelli...correct me if i'm wrong, but do i see an actual assembly floor vote count of 47 ayes to 31 noes in favor of this bill? i never did well in political science in school, so i'm not sure how things up in sacramento work.

Comment

Originally posted by naturallygassy View Post

thanks lcovelli...correct me if i'm wrong, but do i see an actual assembly floor vote count of 47 ayes to 31 noes in favor of this bill? i never did well in political science in school, so i'm not sure how things up in sacramento work.
                    Neither do I but since it has not passed yet 6/3/09 looks more likely to be a vote to move the bill forward. like they are doing with the 1st, 2nd and final readings.
                    Silver 09 GX

Comment

However reading AB 1500 I also found SB 535 which goes into further detail and includes the "Hearin, Forthwith" crap I can never understand...
                      Silver 09 GX

Comment

I recentluy spoke to the assistant in charge of AB1500. Yes it looks like it will pass, and it also looks like there is a high likelihood "Awnold" will veto it. Big car companies aren't too happy about giving special incentives to Honda, basically the only company that stands to benefit from average Joe's buying a bunch of CNG Civic's. Also, for those of you in SoCal, I still cannot get an answer from anyone (Caltrans, MTA) as to whether the new HOT lanes (tolls) will exclude the white stickers? No one seems toknow and they spew misinformation left and right.

Comment

It is more of an incentive to get more car companies to move to CNG.
                          If anything, 1500 will move Prius off of the radar and get more people to want CNG. Any car company can easily convert to CNG, it is just a matter of if they want to apply for the permits and hoopla to get approvals to go into that market.
                          It is not only honda, but Ford, Chevy, Toyota has made those strides.
                          Silver 09 GX

Comment

Lcovelli, I don't disagree. I'm just here to report what I am being told. I just spoke to the legislative assistant again a few minutes ago. At this point one of the legislative committee's has asked the AB1500 sponsor to shelve that bill until at least January, 2010. The reason is so that there can be meetings to reconcile it with Bill #535, which is similar. In addition, she indicated they want to take a much closer look at the whole issue of single-occupant access in general and whether to continue that access, given the push toward HOT (toll lanes) in SoCal and elsewhere. They have conflicting goals that need to be re-assessed. In my opinion I get a feeling all stickers will be out of the HOV lanes at the end of 2010.

Comment

Understand the issues here. US Goverment just gave a way how many billions to Honda, Toyota, etc. Yes they all have car plants here but the profits what there is of them go out of country.

SO it did not bother the feds to fund these foriegn companies should not bother California

Comment

Working...
                              X