Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No more free parking in LA

I contacted someone at the City council for clarification
    --- "AFV(alternative fuel vehicles) - white decals are still provided free parking until 1/1/2011"
    and
    --- this terminates the pilot program for hybrid vehicle(yellow decals) free parking on 3/1/2009

---> begin email
    That's pretty much it. No action was taken on the draft ordinances, the pilot program was terminated at of 3/1/09 and the DOT was instructed to perform community outreach in regard to the termination of the pilot program.

Ordinance was not adopted. No more free parking
    The Council action is here:

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...a_02-10-09.pdf

Adam R. Lid
    Legislative Assistant
    Council and Public Services Division
    Office of the City Clerk
    (213) 978-1076

I was wondering if you can help find someone to clarify this for me.
    And if my understanding of it is correct.

Council File: 04-1362
    http://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacitycl...number=04-1362

1. RECEIVE and FILE the draft Ordinance amending Sections 88.00,
    88.07, 88.13, 88.57, and
    88.63 of the LAMC to provide for free parking of certain alternative
    fuel vehicles at parking
    meters managed by the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT)
    through
    January 1, 2011.
    --- "AFV(alternative fuel vehicles) - white decals are still provided free parking until 1/1/2011"

2. TERMINATE the pilot program effective March 1, 2009.
    --- this terminates the pilot program for hybrid vehicle(yellow decals) free parking on 3/1/2009

3. INSTRUCT the LADOT to perform outreach to Neighborhood Councils and
    effected constituency.
    ---> end email
    Last edited by nexusplexus9; 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: updated with correct info

Comment

We applaud your efforts in this matter. As a Clean Cities Coordinator, I would be happy to support you with a letter from Clean Cities to allow White stickers at meters. If this would be of value, give me a call.

Comment

Hi, Curtis. It's not about getting 'white stickers' the right to park free at City of LA meters. We HAVE that right under the law. The problem is that the LADOT which issues parking tickets has publicly taken the position that the City Council took the opposite action in Feb.

If there is a 'clean cities' coordinator at the City of LA that person might be willing to try to persuade LADOT to follow the law as the Council passed it, not as LADOT is incorrectly interpreting it.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

If nobody objects, I will start handing out the email that I copied this morning (from CNGChat) to some meter maids and post it on the meters when I park. My dash looks like a field of litter with all of the notices and forms spread out on it.

Comment

I wouldn't be putting them on meters, or you might get a ticket for littering too. Parking enforcement would be fine, but you'd have more credibility just going on line and printing out the applicable codes directly. They don't know us from Adam and I doubt we'd carry any weight with them.
            Last edited by Curtis; 04-23-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Here is the current information from LA city council which has voted and the free parking for NGV's is OVER.
              http://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacitycl...number=04-1362
              http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...a_02-10-09.pdf
              Attached Files
              2009 GX
              2000 K2500
              2002 Cavalier
              1998 Contour
              Phill powered by solar power

Comment

The Pilot program seems to be for Hybrids, not CNG or Electric or Hydrogen. That Pilot program was dropped in March of this year, but not the alternate fueled vehicles.

From city records: In addition, should the Department of Motor Vehicles decide to include hybrids in the category of Clean Air Vehicles, then hybrid owners would be required to obtain a sticker from the State to qualify for free parking, as is the current practice with electric and natural gas vehicle owners. THEREFORE MOVE that the Department of Transportation be directed to report with recommendations for initiating a ***pilot six month hybrid-vehicle-free-parking-at-meters program from September 1, 2004 through March 31, 2005 with a further report at the conclusion of the pilot analyzing future cost and revenue impact beyond the pilot period and making recommendations whether and how to continue the program. ***This Pilot program was extended a number of times and ended in March of this year.
                Pilot Program enabling hybrid vehicles to park at on-street and off-street parking meters in the City without depositing coins as long as they comply with any posted time limits and parking restrictions (Council File 04-1362). This program is an extension of the free parking at City parking meters program for Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs) and Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEVs) that are designated as "Clean Air Vehicles" by the Department of Motor Vehicles. 1.

RECEIVE and FILE the draft Ordinance amending Sections 88.00, 88.07, 88.13, 88.57, and
                88.63 of the LAMC to provide for free parking of certain alternative fuel vehicles at parking
                meters managed by the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) through
                January 1, 2011. This "free parking for alternative fuel vehicles" would be for GX's for instance, not Hybrids

2. TERMINATE the pilot program effective March 1, 2009. The Pilot program was originally set up for Hybrids not Alternative fueled vehicles.

My copy says approved by the City Council. I think we are still good to go.
                Last edited by scott; 04-23-2009, 11:40 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                  The Pilot program seems to be for Hybrids, not CNG or Electric or Hydrogen. That Pilot program was dropped in March of this year, but not the alternate fueled vehicles.

From city records: In addition, should the Department of Motor Vehicles decide to include hybrids in the category of Clean Air Vehicles, then hybrid owners would be required to obtain a sticker from the State to qualify for free parking, as is the current practice with electric and natural gas vehicle owners. THEREFORE MOVE that the Department of Transportation be directed to report with recommendations for initiating a ***pilot six month hybrid-vehicle-free-parking-at-meters program from September 1, 2004 through March 31, 2005 with a further report at the conclusion of the pilot analyzing future cost and revenue impact beyond the pilot period and making recommendations whether and how to continue the program. ***This Pilot program was extended a number of times and ended in March of this year.
                  Pilot Program enabling hybrid vehicles to park at on-street and off-street parking meters in the City without depositing coins as long as they comply with any posted time limits and parking restrictions (Council File 04-1362). This program is an extension of the free parking at City parking meters program for Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs) and Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEVs) that are designated as "Clean Air Vehicles" by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
                  I think we are still good to go.
                  The conclusion of LaCity was that it was too difficult to train Traffic Officers to distinguish between yellow stickers (hybrids) and white (NGV). They passed it on to LADOT for consideration the motion went to council and the program was TERMINATED 03/01/2009. There is no more free parking for ANY HOV stickered vehicles. The terminology is vague in the ordinance, but the above attached letter is clear. I also spoke with Wendy Gruell who verified the end of the program as it is written. LADOT may come up with an alternate and they are studying alternatives (whatever that means).
                  2009 GX
                  2000 K2500
                  2002 Cavalier
                  1998 Contour
                  Phill powered by solar power

Comment

Originally posted by CH-4 View Post
                    The conclusion of LaCity was that it was too difficult to train Traffic Officers to distinguish between yellow stickers (hybrids) and white (NGV).
                    Interesting conclusion.....my three year old can tell the difference between yellow and white. If Traffic Officers can't be trained to tell the difference, FIRE THEM and hire my three year old!
                    Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
                    Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
                    Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

Latest email from city council:
                      The City Council decided to not adopt the ordinance that would had allowed free parking for certain alternative fuel vehicles at parking meters. That means that people who park their alternative fuel vehicles at parking meters will have to pay for parking just like the people who drive cars that are not alternative fuel vehicles.

If you have questions regarding this matter, please contact the Los Angeles Department of Transportation. (213.972.8470)

So my previous post from Adam Lid was interpreted incorrectly.
                      The Ordinance was not adopted at all. Hence when he said no action was taken on it.

Comment

Who was that from? What department?
                        02 GX
                        01 GX
                        03 Crown Vic
                        06 GX
                        Home Fueler

Comment

AD PTED
                          FEB 1 0 2009
                          LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL

so, they reversed their above copied 2-10-09 adoption?

Comment

The Council on 2-10-09 adopted the recommendation of the transportation committee to terminate the pilot program and to "receive and file" the draft ordinances that would amend the municipal code to allow ""free parking of certain alternative fuel vehicles at parking meters managed by the LADOT through January 1, 2011." That is not the same thing as voting to approve those draft amendments. They terminated the pilot program, and basically shelved the draft ordinances.

However, there is a fresh motion proposed on Aug. 14, 2009 that would direct the DOT and dept of environmental affairs report to the council with recommendations to implement a "free parking program for advanced technology vehicles." That motion was made by Garcetti, seconded by Perry and Rosendahl, and forwarded to the Transportation Committee. That is where it is right now apparently. The Council has not even voted on it yet. It is not clear to me whether those recommendations would include free parking for CNG vehicles. I hope so. http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...ot_8-14-09.pdf
                            Last edited by Jim Senter; 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Please email the three sponsors of the latest motion. I had a nice response from Jan Perry.

Comment

Working...
                              X