No more free parking in LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more free parking in LA

I saw this posted in the LA County section under a thread about Parking tickets in LA, but thought I would re-post it here as I bet a lot of people missed it and I don't want to see anyone get a ticket!

Starting March 1, you can't get free parking anymore at meters in the city of Los Angeles. I already spoke with a city council member, and they said the council decided to end the "pilot program" because the cost of providing free parking for all hybrids was too high and "everyone drives a hybrid anyways these days". I reminded them of the white stickered vehicles (CNG, Hydrogen, etc.) and was told that this was something that was possibly overlooked and should be looked at again to promote newer vehicle technologies as they come out. *shrug*

And yes, this new rule applies to CNG vehicles.

Here's the post from the Los Angeles section of the forum as reported by member username scott:

"Los Angeles is proud to announce:

We are proud to announce these new Department initiatives:

Free Metered Parking for Alternative Fuel Vehicles Ends 1 March 09

On February 10th, the LA City Council voted to end a free metered parking program for alternative fuel vehicles begun in 2002. The City has allowed vehicles that displayed a California Clean Air Vehicle Decal from the California DMV, as well as four hybrid vehicles: Honda Insight, Honda Civic Hybrid, Toyota Prius and Ford Escape Hybrid, to park free at City operated on and off-street parking meters.

Effective March 1, alternative fuel vehicles parked at an expired meter will be cited for Failure to Pay for a Parking Meter Space. The fine for this parking violation is $48. Beginning immediately Traffic Officers will provide ‘warning notices’ to these vehicles parked at City meters to remind vehicle operators of this change. "

Re: No more free parking in LA

Really sad....
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

I saw it on the news several days ago but was reluctant to post it until I found out if ngv's were included. Thanks for the detective work, good job. I guess we have a new project to undertake... getting ngv's back on their favored status at the meters. The news stated that the parking enforcement would be issueing warnings only for the first 30 days after the rule takes effect.

Santa Monica and Hermosa Beach still retain their ngv parking incentive.

Comment

its a forty eight dollar ticket. I got mine 21 days ago. I am taking it all the way to a hearing. its not worth my time but its all about the principle and the way they went about doing it. The meter maid said with a smug look on her face that I should be thankful the city gave me this privelege for as long as they did....screw em.....

Comment

NEWSFLASH the change was ONLY for Hybrids. The LA Program IS STILL IN EFFECT for true NGVs like the GX. I have a copy of the City Council 2/10/09 extension of the approval in my glove compartment that I put on the dashboard when I park and have not gotten a ticket or warning in the last 30 days.

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...a_02-10-09.pdf

provides for "free parking of certain
          alternative fuel vehicles at parking meters managed by the LADOT through January 1, 2011"
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
            NEWSFLASH the change was ONLY for Hybrids. The LA Program IS STILL IN EFFECT for true NGVs like the GX. I have a copy of the City Council 2/10/09 extension of the approval in my glove compartment that I put on the dashboard when I park and have not gotten a ticket or warning in the last 30 days.

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...a_02-10-09.pdf

provides for "free parking of certain
            alternative fuel vehicles at parking meters managed by the LADOT through January 1, 2011"
            Good information. I will do the same.

Comment

If this is truly the case, then I take back my "short-sighted" comment. I'll let you all know if I get a ticket.

I got one Saturday in Santa Monica for "expired meter", but I am sure it was an over sight. This happens once in a while and I just send in a note with the ticket. You can track Santa Monica tickets on line.
              Last edited by scott; 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I see the exemption for certain vehicles. How do you prove that the gx is one of the exept vehicles? thank you for the info

Comment

I don't have the text of the original ordinances, but 'certain' limits it to those that have white HOV stickers.
                  02 GX
                  01 GX
                  03 Crown Vic
                  06 GX
                  Home Fueler

Comment

yes, freedml, thanks for the information.

Comment

April 21, I happened to be parking my GX right in front of a Los Angeles Parking Enforcement Office that was giving another (Gasoline) car a ticket, and I asked if the "White Stickers" still had free parking. She said "No, the exemption ended for all cars on March 1, and they started issuing citations on April 1". I guess the joke is on us. Later, I called 3-1-1, the Los Angeles City Info Line and the operator said the same thing. I read the sections of the LAMC referred to in one of the replies to the original post (88.00, 88.07, 88.13, 88.57, and 88.63) and did not see any mention of the exemption.

The sign on your Dash referring to the 2/10/09 Council Action may work, but I do think that the exemption has been repealed for us CNG owners. Maybe if enough of us write to our elected officials, we can get it reinstated.

Comment

The DOT is totally misinterpreting the Council action. They have taken the position that 'terminating the pilot program' applies to AFVs and Hybrids. It doesn't. The Council Action clearly extends the AFV program to 1/1/11 and terminates ONLY the Pilot program (which added Hybrids in 2004).
                        Last edited by freedml; 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM.
                        02 GX
                        01 GX
                        03 Crown Vic
                        06 GX
                        Home Fueler

Comment

I agree with freedml - I think the DOT has misunderstood the City Council's directions.

Point 1, says "RECEIVE and FILE the draft Ordinance..."

The Summary of the Transportation Committee's report refers to the proposed amendments to the LAMC drafted by the City Attorney and forwarded in a report on January 16, 2008.

The January 16, 2008 report by the City Attorney proposes amending LAMC section 88.00 to allow a rate of $0.00 per hour for vehicles displaying Clean Air Vehicle Decals.

Section 88.07 is amended to read that it doesn't apply to vehicles displaying Clean Air Vehicle Decals.

Section 88.13 is amended to read that this code section shall not apply to vehicles displaying Clean Air Vehicle Decals.

Section 88.57 is amended to make it inapplicable to vehicles displaying Clean Air Vehicle Decals.

Section 88.63 is amended to make it inapplicable to vehicles displaying Clean Air Vehicle Decals.

Lastly the proposed amendments are recommended to remain in effect until January 1, 2011 or until CVC section 5205.5 is repealed.

The whole issue has been muddied by point 2 on the agenda - "TERMINATE the pilot program effective March 1, 2009."

There is no explanation as to what "pilot program" is being terminated - the DOT has, of course, decided upon the most broad and draconian interpretation.

My best reading is that the pilot program in question refers to the six-month pilot program established on September 1, 2004 allowing hybrids to park for free at LA meters. The hybrid pilot program was extended several times - my interpretation is that this is the "pilot program" in question.

I have recently received a parking ticket in Los Angeles and rest assured that I will be fighting it. If I fail at the initial level I will demand an administrative review, failing that I may push as far as I can...

It's a lot of effort for a $48 parking ticket, but I feel that I have sacrificed a lot of the freedoms that regular car drivers enjoy. I am tied to a handful of fueling stations, I can't get my car serviced at any old mechanic's shop, held hostage every time Mr. Pickens feels like it - I believe that I am entitled to these little rewards as a repayment for my efforts to clean up our local air quality. I know - it sounds a little over the top, but I am sure many of you will agree.

I will keep you updated regarding my ticket.

I would be interested in anyone else's views/experiences on this issue.

Comment

I whole heartedly agree. As an encouragement, it is a small perk that the truely alternate fueled vehicles should receive. I have spoken to two meter maids in WLA and they both told me they are ticketing GX's. We have been posting signs on our dashes and (maybe by luck) no tickets so far.

Comment

Don't forget the wording of paragraph 1 of the 2/10/09 action. "Receive and File the draft ordinaince ... TO PROVIDE FOR FREE PARKING." That is the smoking gun. The DOT is interpreting "to provide for free parking" to mean it's being eliminated. Is George Orwell their legal counsel on this one?
                              02 GX
                              01 GX
                              03 Crown Vic
                              06 GX
                              Home Fueler

Comment

Working...
                              X