Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Parking in San Jose

Hi All,

No one has really mentioned that some clean cities offer free parking for clean air vehicles. In San Jose, you can park for free on the street, in off-street garages, and at all of the parks and recreation facilities for free. There is a $30 processing fee to obtain a permit, and it expires in June 2009. Still, if you work in San Jose or park there regularly, you can save hundreds (or thousands?!) of dollars a year (@ $15/day)!

Re: Free Parking in San Jose

Oops, I just noticed that Curtis has listed the parking benefit in his overview post. Sorry, my mistake. I was over-excited by my privilege to park for free

Kujosan.

Comment

Free parking in downtown Salt Lake City too.
      Must have the Clean Air license plate.
      Technically, if it is a 2 hr meter you only get 2 hrs -- 1 hr meter you only get 1 hr... but on a few occasions I have parked almost all day in one stall with no problems

Comment

Here is the link to get free parking in San Jose:

http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/clean_air_program.php

Comment

It's important to note that the free parking is usually only good for the limit on the meter. This applies to Los Angeles, Hermosa Beach and Santa Monica as well.

I had one person call me because he got a ticket in Hollywood. The incentive does not apply to Los Angeles County, only the silver city meters within the city limits.
          Parking enforcemant may mark your tires to catch you if you try and cheat by staying put all day.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

The free parking in San Jose is only if you buy a GX from a San Jose dealership. I tried to get a permit, but they said I couldn't get one because I bought my car from out of state. What a bunch of BS! They did say to check back on the website every once in awhile, because they may change the rules.
            Still BS!
            Just FYI if your not going to buy at a San Jose Dealership,
            Anthony

Comment

You have to be a resident of San Jose too. What a crock. I've ran my business from there for 25 years, and lived there for more than 20 years, and am there almost every day

Comment

I was trying to get free parking at SJSU. Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBundo View Post
                  You have to be a resident of San Jose too. What a crock. I've ran my business from there for 25 years, and lived there for more than 20 years, and am there almost every day
                  From my understanding, you dont need to be a resident. I live in Santa Clara and finishing up everything. I kept forgetting something and the last item was I wrote the check for $5.00 over!

They are pretty responsive so I expect to have my 'free' parking pass next week.

But yes, you have to buy it from a local dealer, Stevens Creek Honda sells the GX and that is where I bought mine.

Comment

It just sucks that you have to buy new in order to get the free parking. They should be giving these to NGV owners to get people on the band wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by ajgiorgi View Post
                      It just sucks that you have to buy new in order to get the free parking. They should be giving these to NGV owners to get people on the band wagon.
                      I think this is to encourage people to spend their dollars in San Jose. SJC does get Sales Tax revenue from this.

Comment

Any of you lawyers out there remember the Commerce Clause from Law School? Isn't this a violation, as it discriminates against interstate commerce (out-of-state dealers)?

Comment

Originally posted by rdevries View Post
                          Any of you lawyers out there remember the Commerce Clause from Law School? Isn't this a violation, as it discriminates against interstate commerce (out-of-state dealers)?
                          Naw. The commerce clause is what the federal government uses to stomp on the states (that and strings on federal funding). If anything, the equal protection clause might apply, but even that doesn't make the grade here.

Comment

My understanding of this incentive is that you have to EITHER buy the car from a San Jose dealer OR be a San Jose resident.

In my case, I satisfy both, but I believe it's an EITHER/OR proposition.

Here is the link and excerpt:

http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/clean_air.html

"To be eligible, your vehicle must be purchased after Jan. 1, 2000, from a licensed dealership located in San Jose. If the vehicle is a Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEV), it need not have been purchased in San Jose, but you must be a resident of San Jose. The program allows FREE parking at participating municipal off-street parking facilities, on-street meters and San Jose regional park and recreation parking lots (see the list below)."
                            Last edited by juanvaldez2; 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I don't believe it's either/or. If I read it correctly, it's only if you purchase from a San Jose dealer.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X