California Income-Based (IB) CAV Decal Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Income-Based (IB) CAV Decal Program

From CA DMV website: Income-Based (IB) Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decal Program

The Income-Based (IB) Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) decal program may allow a new vehicle owner of a used vehicle that was previously issued a CAV decal prior to January 1, 2017, to be issued a CAV decal, valid until January 1, 2024, if the new owner meets the following criteria:
    • The new, current registered owner is NOT the owner of the vehicle when the decals issued prior to January 2017, expired;
    • The applicant’s total annual household income is at or below $65,760 (this amount is subject to change).
      • Total Annual Household Income requires the disclosure of the annual income of all members of the household, age 17 and older, who reside together and share common living expenses regardless if they are related.
    • The new registered owner name(s) matches DMV records.
    See the Income-Based Clean Air Vehicle Decal Program (REG 1000 IB) form for additional information. Income-Based (IB) CAV Decal Program

14. What is the difference between the IB-CAV decal and CAV decal?
    • The IB-CAV decal is only valid from January 1, 2020, through January 1, 2024, regardless of when the decal was issued during that time frame and the same color decal will be issued.
    • A CAV decal is valid until January 1 of the 4th year after the year of issuance, regardless of when the decal was issued during the year of issuance. A different color is issued every year to reflect the different expiration dates.

15. Why do I have to include everyone in my household for the IB CAV decal application?

Tax authorities define total annual household income as the annual income of all members of a household, age 17 and older, who reside together and share common living expenses regardless if they are related. This includes, but is not limited to, a spouse, significant other, family member(s), and/or roommate(s).

16. Who sets the income amount for the IB-CAV?

The California Department of Housing and Community Development sets the state’s median income, which is updated annually. California Vehicle Code (CVC) section 5205.5 sets the annual household income for the IB-CAV decal at or below eighty percent (80%) the California’s median income.

17. I purchased a new vehicle that has never been issued a CAV decal. The vehicle is on the eligible list for the CAV decal and I meet the income requirements. Should I apply for the IB-CAV decal or the current year’s CAV decal?

Apply for the current year’s CAV decal. The IB-CAV decal is only valid from January 1, 2020, through January 1, 2024, regardless of when the person applied for the IB-CAV decal. The current year’s CAV decal is valid through January 1st on the fourth year after the year of issuance (see CAV DECAL COLOR AND EXPIRATION table above).

I received my new carpool stickers about 5 weeks after I applied. It is a bit smaller than as the previous ones.

Comment

Working...
    X