• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Action: All NGVs will lose federal HOV access Sep 2009

According to
    Federal-Aid Highway Program Guidance on High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes
    August 2008
    http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/...er3.htm#chp3b2

"Inherently low emission vehicles (ILEV) and low emission and energy-efficient vehicles - 23 U.S.C. 166(b)(5)

This section extends the existing exemption for ILEVs and adds another exemption for low emission and energy-efficient vehicles. Until September 30, 2009, States may allow ILEVs and vehicles certified and labeled as low emission and energy-efficient vehicles (including alternative fuel vehicles) that do not meet the established occupancy requirements to use HOV facilities so long as the State establishes procedures to enforce the restrictions on the use of the facility by these vehicles. These vehicles may be tolled, but, unlike HOT vehicles, the toll is not required. After September 30, 2009, the States must discontinue use of their HOV lanes by such vehicles."

italics are the US DOT not mine.
    CH

Re: Take Action: All NGVs will lose federal HOV access Sep 2009

Slow down and read the ruling again. NGV are not being kicked out. The program is changing but NGV are still allowed. More information will follow but check this chart. NGV are listed in the last column.

A Summary of 23 U.S.C. 166 Requirements for Exceptions to Minimum Occupancy Requirements

This ruling has been around since Aug 2008 so if the NGV were going to be kicked out I'm sure we would have heard something well before now.

So don't panic until we get information from an "Official" source.
    John

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
      Slow down and read the ruling again. NGV are not being kicked out. The program is changing but NGV are still allowed. More information will follow but check this chart. NGV are listed in the last column.

A Summary of 23 U.S.C. 166 Requirements for Exceptions to Minimum Occupancy Requirements

This ruling has been around since Aug 2008 so if the NGV were going to be kicked out I'm sure we would have heard something well before now.

So don't panic until we get information from an "Official" source.
      My comments in quotes are the EXACT regulations (U.S.C), not a summary. Word-by-word.
      Yes, now ILEV are ok but on Sep 2009 Goodbye...

Originally posted by Timon View Post
      "...still allowed. "
      Yes, now, but not after Sept 2009.

The reg:
      "..after September 30, 2009, the States must discontinue use of their HOV lanes by such vehicles (ILEVs)." My parenthesis.

Read it and make up your own mind.

High Occupancy Toll Vehicles - 23 U.S.C. 166(b)(4)
      Inherently low emission vehicles (ILEV) and low emission and energy-efficient vehicles - 23 U.S.C. 166(b)(5)
      CH

Comment

I just noticed that the bi-fuel Cavalier I plan to purchase today will not be able to get the Arizona blue alternative fuel plate because of this federal restriction (luckily I already have a bi-fuel cavalier with the plate, but I was hoping to obtain another).

Here's the link to the AZ alt. fuel page that says bi-fuel vehicles no longer qualify as of Sept. 30, 2009:

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/AlternativeFuel.asp

I had no idea about this until today. I should've purchased one last month!

Comment

So are there any bills in Congress to extend this?
          If so let's start a letter-writing campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by melvin View Post
            ...Here's the link to the AZ alt. fuel page that says bi-fuel vehicles no longer qualify as of Sept. 30, 2009:

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/AlternativeFuel.asp

I had no idea about this until today. I should've purchased one last month!
            Some of the FAQ on that page are REALLY old. I originally had a permanent plate when our 2000 GX was licensed... PERM plate designation got taken away almost right away, I can't recall for sure but it must of been in '01 or '02.
            The good news for current bi-fuel tagged folks is the part where they say "Current bi-fuel vehicle owners are allowed to keep alternative fuel plates, but if a license plate is lost it cannot be replaced and it cannot be transferred to another bi-fuel vehicle." and the Q&A: "4) Can I still drive in the HOV lanes?

Yes, as long as you have a current AFV special plate."
            P.S. unlike some, I actually do use mostly CNG in my bifuel vehicle and I don't feel bad about using the HOV lane either.
            2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
            Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
            Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
            Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Well, Sept. 30 has passed, and I haven't turned into a pumpkin yet. Anyone have new information on this?

Comment

Utah is not allowing any CNG dedicated CNG vehicles clean plates except 2004 and newer. Just applyed for one and they told me it didnt qualify, except on theirwebsite, it said i do qualify if i was an Ilev vehicle. I googled the governments list of Ilev vehicles and mine is clearly on it. Why do we allow these clowns to run our rules for us?
                California is still allowing any cng dedicated vehicle. The EPA is not commenting why THEY DECIDED to remove 03 and older dedicated cng vehicles from the clean list. its really ironic that most cng vehicles were not produced after 2004... why 2004? i dont know.

Comment

Working...
                X