Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C3 venting then stops

Why is my c3 venting then shutting off?

I’m new to the home fueling so please be patient.

Comment

The C3 is outdated and new parts are not available but here is a bit of info. If you dig around in the cngchat files a bit there is likely a manual. Error Code Corrective Action ─ Check high pressure system for leaks. Sudden pressure If OK, start FuelMaker with fill drop in high hose disconnected from vehicle pressure system Allow FuelMaker to run (during first until FULL is indicated while 3 minutes after checking vent line for escaping gas. start-up) If gas flows through vent line, fit new Control Module. Test and purge FuelMaker, reseal. Note: This indication can also result from simultaneously filling two or more vehicles if either of the vehicle check valves sticks, or if a second vehicle is connected while the FuelMaker is running. Always start filling procedure of vehicle by first connecting refueling nozzle, opening shutoff valve if provided, and subsequently starting the FuelMaker.

Comment

• Bob Hatton
        Bob Hatton commented
        Editing a comment
        Amfuel, yes the units ae outdated, but there are parts available. We still have about 40 units left from the 150 we started with. And we have boxes and boxes of parts available which include compressor modules, control modules, electronics modules, motors and a lot of hoses
        I have not been on CNG chat for a while and it seems that i need to get back to a daily routine on viewing what is going on re Fuelmaker C3;s, and the FM line of pumps.

Sounds like Amfuel is more familiar with the C3 (obsolete and not supported by BRC/fuelmaker these days). For the FM2-36, there are several things I would check:

1. Adequate inlet pressure
      2. No leaks
      3. Following the correct hookup and filling procedure
      4. Vehicle being fueled is full already (I think the C3 only gives you 3000 PSI so it may not fully fill a vehicle with 3600 PSI system)
      5. Any damage to components

Got to go - best of luck to ya.

Comment

I just purchased a C3 from Bob Hatton. It actually runs. Given how sketchy this whole business is I call that a major plus. No surprise, the compressor has a small leak where the manifold block attaches to the controller. There is blue sealant around a part of the joint - no sealant where the leak is - and Bob has gone 'dark' (also no surprise). This suggests to me that the compressor is probably as leak free as it can be, and if I take the manifold block off I will regret it. I would like to pull it, clean off the sealant and apply new to the entire joint. Questions:

1. Is this a fool's errand? Would doing this likely make matters worse?
        2. If not, suggestions for removal of existing sealant?
        3. Suggestions for sealing - tape? dope?
        4. Anything else I should know before attempting?
        5. Are there any forums that are more active than this one?

Comment

• Bob Hatton
          Bob Hatton commented
          Editing a comment
          Greg, i did not go 'dark ' i was in the hospital for a minor procedure overnight.
          Anyway your suggestion re the blue parker seal seem reasonable as i said in an e-mail 'Go ahead with Parker blue seal. Never used it, but it sounds reasonable. The nat gas o-rings are made to spec for natural gas; I believe the compound is C7.

Re fill times—yes it seems to like the high pressures. I suggest you fill to 2400 first then drop to 400 each fill. If you only go to 2400 it is less hard on the compressor.

regards,

Bob Hatton
          Me To Vehicle Refueling Inc
          375 Towanda Blvd, Erie Beach
          RR3 Blenheim, ON N0P 1A0

Sent: August 31, 2021 5:37 PM
          To: Bob Hatton
          Subject: Re: parts of the C3

very much appreciated. I pictured pulling the manifold off and sealing with Parker blue seal.

I'm sure I can buy any kind of butyl seal. I found a 'chat room' for CNG compressors. Someone suggested that the CNG seals are the 'achilles heal' of used C3 compressors - you can get someone to make them, but it's only economical if you need 500,000.

My thought is,

1. pull off the manifold
          2. match to hardware store butyl seals
          3. coat with Parker blue goo
          4. re-install
          5. watch carefully for recurrent leak '

i really do not know why you would not just replace the o-ring in the plate between the manifold and the control module?? like i suggested. After 4 tests it did not have your problem. let me know your results re the sealant.
      Working...
      X