FMQ programmer reverse engineering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMQ programmer reverse engineering?

I was curious if a software engineer could make a FMQ programmer. I have read post and treads on here about it being proposed that whole new programs could be engineered for the FMQ’s. I have a need for a programmer but they are hard to find and expensive. The unit is about as sophisticated as an old school “Speak and Spell”. The unit only has four parameters that it can set, and reads some trouble codes. But its invaluable when in a situation such as myself where I need to turn off the pressure rise monitoring in a FM-Q-2-36 due to storage vessels being filled by the compressor beyond the recognized capacity. Any one think they could reverse engineer a programmer?

Re: FMQ programmer reverse engineering?

I can reverse engineer it but need one as a starting point.

Comment

One on E-Bay now, seller wants $1,800

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
        One on E-Bay now, seller wants $1,800
        I just messaged the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by cng oso View Post
          I was curious if a software engineer could make a FMQ programmer. I have read post and treads on here about it being proposed that whole new programs could be engineered for the FMQ’s. I have a need for a programmer but they are hard to find and expensive. The unit is about as sophisticated as an old school “Speak and Spell”. The unit only has four parameters that it can set, and reads some trouble codes. But its invaluable when in a situation such as myself where I need to turn off the pressure rise monitoring in a FM-Q-2-36 due to storage vessels being filled by the compressor beyond the recognized capacity. Any one think they could reverse engineer a programmer?

You would be shocked at the amount of technology that was in a 1980's vintage speak and spell !

Comment

Try our member Bob Hatton--I bought a programmer from him and it sure wasn't anywhere near $1800!

Comment

So what you are attempting to accomplish is cranking the pressure beyond the 3600 psi design pressure? Is that why you need the reverse engineering? That would be illegal and unsafe. The Q2 isn't designed for 4200 psi or whatever your intention is.

$1800 on ebay? I'll sell you a new one for $1400 or a used one for $1200. LOL

Comment

will it be cheaper to use a small plc and reprogram all the parameters? there are not many sensors (inputs) and outputs to control the valves and switches. A small PLC with 6 inputs and outputs is about $100 at automation direct. you probably know all the safety parameters. what do you think guys? is it possible?

Comment

What makes you think he wants to up the system pressure?

I got the impression he is trying to fill a storage vessel so large that the pressure does not rise fast enough to satisfy the fuelmakers programming and it sbuts off.

Karl

Comment

Karl you are correct, No where does it state that im trying to increase the pressure beyond the designed intentions??? Not sure how that is deducted out of my post. FMQ's have 4 perameters that can be set with the programmer, and it makes no sence to buy a $1600 dollar programmer was looking for feed back on that.

Thanks

Comment

There are different programmers out there. I have a programmer for my FM4 but it doesn't work on the FM2Q-36. Some of the parameters can be set on the 36 but not all of the data can be read. So make sure the one you are buying is for the unit you want to program.

Comment

Is the programmer for these units a stand alone device, or is it a program with an RS-232 link to the FuelMaker units?

Comment

fwiw: In a previous life, I was a software guy with some embedded experience.
                          Selling all of the things:
                          2007 Civic GX $9750
                          2001 Dodge B3500 $????

Comment

In response to member CngExp the programmer is a stand alone device that sends data through a RJ style telephone connector to the FM control module. It has some discrete switches for setting some functions and a small alphanumeric display. It is most likely much less complicated then a "speak and spell" and more like the complexity of a scan tool for a bread maker.

Comment

Originally posted by cng oso View Post
                              Did you ever find a way to turn off the pressure rise monitoring on a fuelmaker?
                              Thanks,
                              Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X