FMQ 2-36 will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMQ 2-36 will not start

I pushed the start button today and I got nothing... :-( I remember someone else on this forum with a similar problem and he replaced the circuit board (I believe). What are my options currently?

I probably should check to make sure electricity is still going to the unit too.

Re: FMQ 2-36 will not start

If you have checked for power going to the unit and it is OK, then try this. Turn off the power to the unit, wait a couple of minutes and then open the top of the unit. Under the lid is a large metal spring clip that can be pushed to lower the electronics board. On the board, near the lower right corner, you wil see two black plastic housings. Inside are two fuses that connect to the incoming power. Check the fuses with an ohmmeter to make sure they have not failed--if you don't have one, just replace the two fuses. The size (amp rating) of the fuse is marked on the end. Replace with a slow-blow type fuse. If this doesn't fix it, or the fuses fail again, you have some other issue. Hope it works .

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I do hope that it is a blown fuse.

Comment

Or sometimes it will restart after being removed from power for a while. So try that, too.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by siai47 View Post
          If you have checked for power going to the unit and it is OK, then try this. ... Check the fuses with an ohmmeter to make sure they have not failed--if you don't have one, just replace the two fuses. The size (amp rating) of the fuse is marked on the end. Replace with a slow-blow type fuse. If this doesn't fix it, or the fuses fail again, you have some other issue. Hope it works .
          Another possible issue when you're looking at the fuse holders... Mine and at least one other member has seen the fuse-holder frag... fuses still good, but the material used for the fuse holder deteriorated such that the fuse didn't make good contact, creating a higher resistance connection, creating more heat, etc. until the fuse holder fails open.
          In my case there was sufficient board damage that I couldn't replace with the same board mount style, but there is sufficient room to put in two "old school" wire in line fuse holders (with heavy gauge wire) in place of the board mounted style.
          Not particularly elegant, but it works and is a whole lot less expensive than just replacing the board. Good luck!
          2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
          Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
          Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
          Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

I really appreciate all the replies. I suspect that I will get this this problem on Saturday. I will post any findings that I have.

Comment

Both of the main power fuses were good. The low voltage fuse (this is what the label inside the FMQ had called it - it is a 250V fuse) had burned out. The fuse is a slow blow, 630mA 250V fuse (T630mAL250V). I could not find such a fuse locally so I purchased 5 600mA fast blow fuses and ordered some more fuses online. Eager to get the FMQ running again, I placed the new fuses in. The newly purchased fuses burned out (I went through three of them).

At this point I suspected more of a problem. I short circuited where the fuse belongs rationalizing that if there is a board problem, it wouldn't matter, if it is a slow vs fast blow fuse problem, it still doesn't matter. The resistor next to the fuse blew out. As far as I can tell, there is no other damage on the board. A resistor is easy to replace but the problem is what is the failed component? If I could find the failed component, I could probably replace that too. Anyone know the value of the grey resistor that is next to the fuse? The markings are kind of hard to read now :-)

Any other tips too?

Thanks,
              Steve

Comment

steve we need to know the resistor # on the board. color means nothing. let us know and we will tell you
                r82 and r86 orange orange orange red 1 watt= 33k ohm
                r127 and r128 green blue brown gold 1/4 watt= 560 ohm
                and there is some diodes there too

Comment

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I just dropped off the motherboard to the local Fuelmaker rep (Clean Energy). They told me that there is about 8 week wait time for a replacement board. a lady that works for Impco told me that they have replacement boards in stock so I am really wondering what the deal is. I should have held onto the board, replaced the resistor my self (I got new fuses too) and troubleshot (troubleshooted?? - crazy verb) the problem myself. In the amount of time that is claimed to fix the board, I am sure that I could have fixed it as the problem is most likely an easily replaced component as non of the chips on the board were fried.

I think it would have been as easy matter or just following the board traces to find the failed component as there was a direct line to ground (hence the blown fuses). I could have just kept following the traces with a multimeter until I got to the suspicious part.

I don't remember the resistor number but it wasn't your normal color coded resistor. This resistor looked like it could have absorb some power. But, it was the resistor closest to the 5x20 fuse located at a right angle to the fuse.

Cheers,
                  Steve

Comment

My FMQ2-36 has been at GESI for several months waiting for a new control board. Has anyone tried repairing the board?

Comment

Originally posted by camryman View Post
                      My FMQ2-36 has been at GESI for several months waiting for a new control board. Has anyone tried repairing the board?
                      GreenFuels is able to repair the boards. The price ranges from $300 to $800 depending on the severity of the problem. Typical turnaround time is 2 weeks.

Dale
                      VP Technology GreenFuels
                      wwwgreenfuelstncom

Comment

I just have my FMQ2-36 do the same. Low votage fuse is gone.

Did any of you figure out what was wrong with your equipment?

Mine also tripped the 50amp breaker at the main panel.

Comment

Tech came to test the unit FMQ2-36 board keeps blowing fuse (low voltage) everytime we connect the power to it. This happens even when the compressor & fan connectors are disconnected from the board. I assume this means something is wrong on the board?

Comment

Scott, how do you know what watt which diodes re, do you have some kind of schematic? could you please forward it to me??! i would like to repair my board.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks
                            -jason

Comment

we can repair your board.

Hi, we have all the replacement / rebuild parts for the fm series including resetting your timer. and chips.. pm us. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X