Phill breakaway nozzle broke away...but won't go back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phill breakaway nozzle broke away...but won't go back

My wife drove away today with the Phill hooked up and the breakaway nozzle split where it should. However, I can't get the male end to seat back in the female side....it doesn't go deep enough in to click in. I can't figure out what I'm missing, but I'm about 1/8" short of getting a connection.

Any ideas?

Re: Phill breakaway nozzle broke away...but won't go back

The hose might still be pressurized, so you are pushing against 3,600 psi. Iirc there is a description on how to depressurize the hose in the Phill manual.

Comment

You are probably right. I was able to get the hose disconnected from the car with a little effort, though. The manual says something about a "depressurizing tool" that is available from Fuelmaker. Does anyone have such a tool or know how to depressurize the hose?

Comment

you sure it was wife and not you LOL you might try to loosing the hose at the other end dont know just a thought

Comment

just thinking we should mandate fuel filler on drivers door or next to handle of drivers door or interlock fuel door to starter

Comment

maybe drive car to warning light and then hook the hose to the car then to the Phill end.

Comment

It's the second time she has done this in 5 years, so not a bad record - the first time it popped right back in without a problem. With significant pulling force, I got the end of the Phill hose off the Honda, which blew out that little rubber O-ring that forms the seal. Now I have a piece of hose from the quick disconnect to the nozzle that apparently is either still pressurized or broken. When I buy the O-ring, I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow if they have this 'depressurization tool' eluded to in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by sethdallob View Post
                You are probably right. I was able to get the hose disconnected from the car with a little effort, though. The manual says something about a "depressurizing tool" that is available from Fuelmaker. Does anyone have such a tool or know how to depressurize the hose?
                Your nearest Phill dealer should have that tool.

Comment

Interesting. Honda's solution was to make the fuel gauge blink if the fuel door is open.
                  2009 GX
                  2000 K2500
                  2002 Cavalier
                  1998 Contour
                  Phill powered by solar power

Comment

There are cars that don't start as long as the receptacle is connected to the earth (through the fill nozzle).

Comment

depressurizing the hose is easy, inside the nozzel is a tube, when it's depressed gas can flow. if the hose is pressurized it wont be easy to depress. i've used a spade drill bit. insert the end that goes in the drill chuck into the tube and grasp the nozzle and press the bit into a block of wood.

I suspect your problem isn't a pressurized hose. I dont have a phill, I have an FM4 so yours may be different. my hose doesnt have a check valve on the compressor end. when it breaks away, it instantly depressurizes. perhaps the female portion has a check valve and there's pressure behind it preventing you from inserting the hose. the FM4 has a vent that can be used to vent the head, or the hose block on the FM4 head can be removed which would relieve the pressure. Does the phill have the same vent or block?

Comment

Originally posted by espolson View Post
                        Does the phill have the same vent or block?
                        No, the phill has an in-line breakaway.

Comment

And requires a special tool to depressurize the hose so you can reconnect it. Call your installer, he/she should have the tool. One trick, power it up, hit start, wait 12 seconds (time it) then shut the power off (not the off switch). This is the time required for the pre-purge of the line before it goes into it's leak test. Let the machine rest for at least 1 hour, then try reconnecting the two pieces of the fill hose. The only other way without the tool is to dismantle it and carefully (very) crack the hose to compressor connection and relieve the pressure (not recommended by the way unless you know this machine).
                          2009 GX
                          2000 K2500
                          2002 Cavalier
                          1998 Contour
                          Phill powered by solar power

Comment

Working...
                          X