phill rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phill rebuild

has anyone seen documents on how they rebuild the phill unit? Mine gives occasional error codes, not always the same ones. It also has taken longer to fill, which makes me think the compressor or dryer are going out. Yet it has low hours.
    I only want to get it working well enough for my 20 mile a day commute that I have now.
    I also smell too much natural gas when it first starts. . .which makes me think the solenoid valve that operates the dryer is going out. Not sure. They say it should smell a little bit when it first turns on, but I don't remember the gas being this strong when I used it before.

My unit was filthy dirty from operating outside, makes me wonder why they don't have a air filter on the unit?

No I don't want to pay $1000.00 to fix it at this time.

photos of inside phill unit:

http://ruderod.livejournal.com/181960.html?mode=reply
    phill photoshttp://ruderod.livejournal.com/181960.html?mode=reply

Re: phill rebuild

The little bit I've looked inside and other discussions, particularly the failing ventillation fan issue, make me think that it was not designed for easy repair/rebuild.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by rod_california View Post
      photos of inside phill unit:
      Excellent photos and commentary. Rock on! Thanks for sharing.

Spelling correction though bro:
      I believe their is a heatsink inside the fan chamber, where some other electronics are cooled.
      I believe there is ..

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Rod,
        Glad you got your phill up and running. My is mounted in the garage but I was also surprised with how much dirt and bugs were in the unit. There really should be a air filter on the unit but then that would require periodic maintenance I guess.

You pictures and descriptions are good but I wanted to alert you about those threaded studs with the slot on the end of them. They are to keep the compressor from moving during shipment. When the unit is "in service" they should be screwed all the way out to allow the compressor unit to move. You may want to crack the case on your unit and make sure that you did not tighten these 2 studs.
        -------------
        moore101
        2000 Toyota Camry CNG
        FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

There are two types of rebuild. If the unit is replaced with a comparable hour unit, it is checked out and any borderline checks get replaced. A '0' hour rebuild will have a new (or complete rebuild) compressor along with the other quality check parts.

You didn't mention which codes came up. A gas sensor detection will put the system into a fan mode for a couple minutes before shutting down. After shutdown the system can be started again but repeated errors will lockout the system and need resetting via the programmer.

The gas smell is not right. The only gas smell should be at connect or disconnect of the vehicle. Check the Oring at the nozzle and make sure the receptacle is sealing. A gas smell in the area is enough to trigger the detector(s), internal and/or external. There should be no gas smell within the shrouding area.

Incidently, storing other fuels, paints, thinners and such in the vicinity of the detectors (same room, open fumes) will shorten the life of the sensors.

I have actually made the mistake of exhausting the test bottle into the wind from near the Phill (toward the upwind side) in a 20 mph wind and triggered the detector. (outside mount) The gas exhausts in about a 6-8' spew length and swept back across the Phill. It was cold and windy, I was unhappy.

Comment

I have a first generation Phill. my unit goes into "error" when drying.

Do you have any ideas? Or does anyone have a tech manual?

Thanks
            Rod

Comment

Originally posted by moore101 View Post
              Rod,
              Glad you got your phill up and running. My is mounted in the garage but I was also surprised with how much dirt and bugs were in the unit. There really should be a air filter on the unit but then that would require periodic maintenance I guess.

You pictures and descriptions are good but I wanted to alert you about those threaded studs with the slot on the end of them. They are to keep the compressor from moving during shipment. When the unit is "in service" they should be screwed all the way out to allow the compressor unit to move. You may want to crack the case on your unit and make sure that you did not tighten these 2 studs.
              dirt bugs pollen and exposure to direct sunlight will affect phil

don't use compress air to blow them out may hurt the air flow switch found on the upper area of phil

air filter would be nice but it cuts air flow to cool it and affects the air flow switch
              Last edited by mikejacobs; 08-09-2009, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X