Moved phill to new house, questions on my gas line install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved phill to new house, questions on my gas line install

As mentioned in the title I moved and took my Phill and installed it at my new home. I ran the gas line (and soon will finish the electrical) myself. I had a couple of questions before having the city's friendly inspector come check everything out. The install was pretty simple using all black pipe and gas rated pipe dope, I cut the 1" main in the attic and using a black union tee'd off and reduced to 1/2" then ran about 35' of pipe through a wall into the garage over the garage door and down to the Phill. Tested for leaks with soapy water and everything checked out ok. The pipe was braced on every rafter in the garage and at both walls where it touches and in the attic.

Is there anything special I need to do for the section of pipe coming from the attic through the garage wall? Right now I just punched it through the drywall with a hole just big enough to fit the 1/2 pipe through. Anything else I should double-check before ordering a inspection (I am located in southern CA)?

Thanks,
    Loran
    -------------
    moore101
    2000 Toyota Camry CNG
    FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Re: Moved phill to new house, questions on my gas line install

Make sure you have the Phill manual ready and when he gets that puzzled look, show him the AGA 'appliance' symbol. I assume you have the exhaust vented outside and the Methane detector installed.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Here in Arizona you have to put 15 psi of pressure on the new gas pipe and let it stand over night without a loss of pressure for a leak test by the city inspector.

Comment

Penetrations in the garage need to be sealed with a fire chalk.....Lowes (red stuff 11 bucks a tube)

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
          Make sure you have the Phill manual ready and when he gets that puzzled look, show him the AGA 'appliance' symbol. I assume you have the exhaust vented outside and the Methane detector installed.
          Yes all venting and gas detector in place. In my opinion it is installed better now than when Dr. Drain did the "professional" install. I'll print a copy of the manual just in case.
          -------------
          moore101
          2000 Toyota Camry CNG
          FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Johnlaroux View Post
            Here in Arizona you have to put 15 psi of pressure on the new gas pipe and let it stand over night without a loss of pressure for a leak test by the city inspector.
            I have heard of this test but don't understand how it works. If the pipe is connected to the house already does the whole gas line in the house get pressurized or am I missing something?
            -------------
            moore101
            2000 Toyota Camry CNG
            FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

It is a long term test that catches slow leaks that can't be detected with soap bubbles. When I ran some natural gas line about 25 years ago it is what the build inspector said was required -- no leaks or pressure drop

larrycng

Comment

if you are testing the whole system cap your hose lines (don't test against the valves) Remove gas line from mete put your gauge there. If your are connecting the new line in the open, like in the meter box, you can just test the line.

Comment

Originally posted by cngmike View Post
                  if you are testing the whole system cap your hose lines (don't test against the valves) Remove gas line from mete put your gauge there. If your are connecting the new line in the open, like in the meter box, you can just test the line.
                  So don't use the shut off valves at the end of the gas lines before the appliances? (I know not to use the appliance valves) Also is it better to cap the gas lines after the valves or do I need to take the valves off and cap the iron pipe?
                  -------------
                  moore101
                  2000 Toyota Camry CNG
                  FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

Cap the lines don't use he valves. I've seen several pressure tests fail using the line valves.

Comment

FuelMaker has an installation manual on its website. Download and read that manual.

Comment

Working...
                      X