FMQ-2 Nozzle leak when disconnecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMQ-2 Nozzle leak when disconnecting

My FMQ-2 (3000 psi) nozzle/hose dissipates what appears to be residual gas in the line when I disconnect from the car after fueling. Not every time, but usually.
    This occurs anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours after the fueler has stopped and I go to disconnect the nozzle from the vehicle. Good thing I'm not a smoker!
    It did not do this when new.
    Anyone else have this happening?
    '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
    '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
    FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Re: FMQ-2 Nozzle leak when disconnecting

It may be a difference in the filling nozzle on your fuelmaker. I have both an FM4 (3000 psi) and a FM2Q-36 (3600 psi). On the FM4 I have the same problem you report. Looking at the fill nozzle, the 3600 psi nozzle closes an internal valve when it is removed from the vehicle, the 3000 psi nozzle does not. When you shut down the fuelmaker, the high pressure gas in the fill line goes into a "blowdown" tank in the unit so you can physically release the coupler from the vehicle. On my FM4, some of this gas is released from the nozzle until the blowdown tank is empty. I don't know if this is normal or correct but I can understand your concern. Hopefully a fuelmaker expert on this site can explain this .

Comment

Re: FMQ-2 Nozzle leak when disconnecting

Parker fill nozzles are great at sealing under high pressure but not so good at low pressure. When the Fuelmaker shuts down, all but 20 psi is dropped back into the controls module so you can release the fill nozzle from the vehicle.
      What you are hearing is the 20 psi residual gas in the fill hose leaking out.
      Either your fill nozzle has a little dirt in the seat or the seat is worn enough to leak.
      The FuelMaker is not leaking, just the residual gas in the fill hose.
      The fill nozzle can be cleaned with some alcohol and then lubricated with some dry silicone.
      If that doesn't cure it, the next step is to replace the fill nozzle.
      Dave Clement

Comment

Working...
      X