Cost for home CNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cost for home CNG

I'm currently in the process of installing a FMQ 2-36 for my small business at my house. If you are not a company, the Phill unit is your best option for one vehicle, although the FMQ 2-36 is better in the long run. Go to www.fuelmaker.com for more info. Neither of the systems are cheap unless you qualify for tax breaks. In OK the state will credit 50% of the cost for a fueler and installation on your income tax and the feds will credit another $1000. Not sure what Missouri offers. Honda will contribute to the cost if you buy a new Honda Civic GX at the same time (again if you are a company on this one). There is a certified installer in St. Louis, Alternative Fuel Systems, Inc. 314-892-6504. I would call them for more information on possible state tax credits.
    '12 Metallic Civic NG w/Navi
    '09 White Civic GX
    '06 White Bifuel Ridgeline
    FMQ 2-36

Comment

Originally posted by djkenney View Post
      So, when refueling in your garage, do you pay the same $/decatherm as you do to heat your house?
      I too would like to know more about this pricing and I'm also located in Utah.
      Those of you in Utah, do you have a separate meter and/or pay different pricing for your home fueling station? I know about coming changes the Utah PSC has in mind and I'm wondering if it will also affect the home fueling prices with special meters to price gouge us at home.
      2003 GMC Sierra K2500 ex-cab, factory bi-fuel
      -Todd

Comment

I was wondering...what is the break even point between filling at home and fueling at a station.
        My stats, Phill, (about 2500 hrs.);
        So. Cal. gas, I've rerated to the $.99 tarrif (how to take into account that all my home use is cheaper now);
        I figured about $.10 per hour at the Edison rates, (but I didn't figure with the detail that the rest of you report):
        vs. $1.49 at the So. Cal Gas Field Station in Pasadena, Ca (seems cheap)
        So at what dollar per Gal equivalent do I fill-up away from home?

Curtiss
        99 Civic (think I found a mechanic to rebuild engine)
        04 F-150 (I love this truck)

Comment

Originally posted by Curtiss Bradford View Post
          I was wondering...what is the break even point between filling at home and fueling at a station.
          My stats, Phill, (about 2500 hrs.);
          So. Cal. gas, I've rerated to the $.99 tarrif (how to take into account that all my home use is cheaper now);
          I figured about $.10 per hour at the Edison rates, (but I didn't figure with the detail that the rest of you report):
          vs. $1.49 at the So. Cal Gas Field Station in Pasadena, Ca (seems cheap)
          So at what dollar per Gal equivalent do I fill-up away from home?

Curtiss
          99 Civic (think I found a mechanic to rebuild engine)
          04 F-150 (I love this truck)
          Remember to include in your calculations the cost of the rebuild on the Phill and the time value of the money that you used to buy the Phill or will use to rebuild it.

Comment

Originally posted by CNGLO View Post
            Remember to include in your calculations the cost of the rebuild on the Phill and the time value of the money that you used to buy the Phill or will use to rebuild it.
            How about the time value and mileage cost to go to a public filling station? Right now I have $0.00 time cost to get fuel since it is always done when I am at home with a Phill unit. To get fuel for me would be a minimum of 10 - 15 miles out of my way and the cost of fuel to get there every day.

Everyones situation is different, so you have to figure out what is best for you. For me, the value of getting home sooner and not have to fight with more stop lights and traffic out weighs the cost of the unit.

Comment

NGV'ers in general like to pencil out, spreadsheet and flowchart every aspect of the NGV experience. Fuelmaker will be the first to tell you that the Phill unit isn't meant to pencil out. It is solely a convenience factor, which has a value that many discount.

Many here prefer the larger FM units, such as the FM4 and FM2-36, which make more sense in the long run, assuming you can pick up a good used unit for around the price of the Phill. We have threads in this forum that give the pro's and cons of both. Home refueling is a major convenience for many, even if it's not a savings overall. You'll have to weigh the arguements for yourself.

Comment

Working...
              X