Cost for home CNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cost for home CNG

John does not include the original purchase and installation cost of his FMQ unit nor the maintenance cost in arriving at his $0.95 cost per gge.

Comment

Ive had my FMQ2 now for just over 11 years now and am now finally realizing a savings. There have been times in the past that I was paying more for CNG then Gasoline.

My 99 GX will be useless in another 6 years when the tank expires. So if I am to buy a newer GX I will most certainly have to find a dealer somewhere that will sell me a new FMQ-2-36 outright. If not I will get out of the CNG thing.

Does anyone know of such a dealer anywhere in the US that will sell outright?

Comment

Dave(cngaz), in Phoenix is the FM dealer in the group.

Comment

Why would you replace your FMQ2-36? There are basically 5 components to it that are exchangeable if they break. Why would you want to purchase it all again new? It currently has an indefinant life as long as the compressor is replaced every 4000 hours.
          John you have our number, is your unit still giving you trouble? Call me.
          Dave Clement

Comment

I viewed my FM-Q2-36 purchase in the same way I did when we splurged on some nice living room furniture a few years back. It is something that I buy once for the house and keep the rest of my life. I'm sticking with the 95 cents + occasional compressor rebuild as the cost of ownership

Comment

Some people just want to analayze everything to death!
              No matter how you figure it, you are still less than unleaded and diesel
              unless you only drive 40 miles per week. And that would still be less, unless you owe on your vehicle.
              Dave Clement

Comment

Dave I was getting an alarm in the incorrect mode (green light flashing) with the red light steady and yellow light flashing with the stop button depressed. Manual says failure of blowdown system. I managed to get it reset and filled the car and when done filling I received the same alarm. That is when I called you about the problem. When I didnt hear back from you I went out and turned on the power to the pump and the alarm had reset and the pump is now working with no alarms. This is why If I bought a new GX I would want a new FMQ-2-36 as the pump I have seems like it might become unreliable, and im sure the armature assembly and computer cost near what a new pump is. John

Comment

Aaron had dropped by and saw there was no longer an error.
                  I'll call you, the repairs are no where near the cost of a new
                  FMQ2-36.
                  Dave Clement

Comment

So, when refueling in your garage, do you pay the same $/decatherm as you do to heat your house?

Comment

Originally posted by djkenney View Post
                      So, when refueling in your garage, do you pay the same $/decatherm as you do to heat your house?
                      It may depend on where you live, but in both Chandler and Mesa Arizona, you are separately metered and the cost is different per unit (Therm with SW Gas and Mesa Utilities)
                      2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
                      Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
                      Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
                      Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Originally posted by djkenney View Post
                        Most Ca gas co's discount for home refueling with either a separate, or the household meter. Rates will vary for both.

When you ask a question, the answer most times depends on where you live. Incentives vary greatly across the country, so specify your location so we can answer more accurately.

Comment

In some ways a VRA (Vehicle Refueling Appliance) is like a house - both hold or increase in value. However, not many people downgrade either one to capture the gain, so it's essentially a sunk cost (unless you swap to public fueling or get out of the CNG market and can realize the gain by selling the VRA).
                          Devin

http://www.cnginfoguide.com

http://feedproxy.google.com/CngInformationGuide
                          http://feedproxy.google.com/CngForSale

Comment

i read this thread very interesting...i am new to this...i'm from california..southern....we have many fueling stations ranging from $2.71 to $3.30 gge.... my question how much Fm cost to install at home? that's including parts and labor. Do I need to contact my gas company for installation? i am just looking for an estimate not exect quote.

thanks...boo

Comment

The unit runs about $4000 + install, which will vary with the work needed to install it. There's a $1000 tax credit, and if you're in the South Coast AQMD's area, a $2000 buy down on a purchase (or lease) of the Phill. To buy you call FM at 1-866-my-phill.
                              To lease you call Christina at 1-310-781-4450, and tell her Curtis sent you.

Comment

Are there any of these for Sale?
                                I am in St Louis and was just quoted by our gas company the ist would be $11,500 for one of these units.
                                This is from the guy who is supposed to be promoting CNG.

Thanks
                                Lon

Originally posted by TheBundo View Post
                                Get a manual and do it yourself. Pull your own permit, have the required inspections, etc. In my case, since I'm so busy, I probably will have my wife do it.

However, if you had to go to college, it may be too hard to figure out
                                Thanks
                                Lon

Comment

Working...
                                X