Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Permits SF Bay Area

Hi All,

I am in the process of buying 2 2008 GX's. Before I sign the paper work I am doing some of my due diligence on the whole CNG thing.

I thought I would double check with my building department to find out what thier requirements were.

They first were like Oh My god I don't think you can put in a fueling station in a residence and refferred me to the county fire dept., they came back and said they were cool with it. So then I went back to the building department at my city and they came up with some questions that I could not answer.

I am planning on installing it outdoors on the front of my garage and here are the questions they asked me.

1. The Phill looks like it is made out of flimsy plastic whats to protect it from being broken by some one outdoors.

2. The hose looks like a garden hose what if the kids in the neighborhood tried to turn on the machine and light the hose end on fire.

I did find the department of energy testing info on the myphill site.

There were some other questions about safety, I had no answers for them.

Can you guys assist with some answers.

1. How can you prevent unauthorized use of the phill.
    2. Is there a way to lock the control panel and the hose?

What issues have you run across with your installs with regards to building permits.

Thanks!

Re: Building Permits SF Bay Area

There are holes in the fill nozzle wall bracket you can insert a long shank
    lock through the holes to secure the nozzle on Phill.
    On the larger FuelMakers they have an optional locking lid.
    See the installation manual, if its subject to vehicle impact, it needs concrete filled pipes buried in the ground in front of it to protect it.
    All FuelMaker equipment are certified as gas appliances, the same as your stove and water heater.
    The yellow hose you see going to the fill nozzle is only a protective sleeve, the fill hose is actually inside it. You can also lock the electric dis-connect panel off or shut the power off at the breaker.
    At 1/2 gallon per hour, an actual un authorized user may still be there when you get home for dinner...........................................
    If they are really into what ifs? it could go on forever.
    Confront each question with some common sense.
    Gas cannot come out unless its hooked to a car, If it leaks it turns its self off
    etc. Does that help?
    Dave Clement

Comment

Hello Mr. Building Inspector. I'd like to install a box in my kitchen which will have gas flames spewing out at the top and bottom. Are you ok with that?

Not the right way to approach it, to say the least. If these 'boxes' (ovens) weren't already in every home and approved by the AGA they would have about the same reaction -- 'Call the Fire Department!'.

This is a Home Appliance, the same rating and approval process as your oven, furnace or water heater. The AGA Appliance Approval Process has already asked all the 'what-if' questions about the dangers of operation by idiots and has redundant safety measures for all of the them. If the Building Department asks questions, show them the manual which has the AGA approval symbol on the front and answers installation questions (available online).

But, to answer the question you asked, if the nozzle is disconnected no gas should come out of it. If you turn it on without being connected, it will pressurize the hose to 3600, shut-off and then relieve the pressure. If gas did come out of it because of a defective nozzle you might be able to light it -- it would act like a big lighter. After some minutes it would shut-off because the pressure 'in the tank' didn't rise.

Phill's case is very sturdy. I bet you could hit it with a bat and it would probably not crack. Mine is installed high enough on the wall so that trying to hit it with the car would miss by a mile.

No issues with the City of LA building department. I pulled a permit to install an appliance in my garage (didn't tell them what it was and they didn't ask) and the inspector took about 10 minutes to look at the manual, signed it off, and took a picture to show the guys back at the office. You have to talk to them in language they understand to avoid problems.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
        Hello Mr. Building Inspector. I'd like to install a box in my kitchen which will have gas flames spewing out at the top and bottom. Are you ok with that?

No issues with the City of LA building department. I pulled a permit to install an appliance in my garage (didn't tell them what it was and they didn't ask) and the inspector took about 10 minutes to look at the manual, signed it off, and took a picture to show the guys back at the office. You have to talk to them in language they understand to avoid problems.

you are so lucky. i am going thru hell right now. my city has revoked the permit (beacuse the HOA has NOT YET approved my vent) after they gave the permit to me initially (and i had the phill installed)

right now i am at the point where the city wants me to remove all gas piping... the hell with that... game is on. you might see me on the news soon...

Comment

The building officials in Campbell just issued a permit for one

Comment

Just get the fmq if your going to install it outside. It has a locking panel so nobody will mess with it. Better long term investment anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X