FMQ2-36 Electronics Module Blowing Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMQ2-36 Electronics Module Blowing Fuse

My FMQ 2-36 would not start. I only fill once a month. No lights on unit. Checked for 240v power and that was OK. Noticed the EM fuse was blown. Turned power to unit off at breaker and replaced fuse with same as original: T630mA L250v. Restored power via breaker and fuse blew. Purchased unit new 3/2012 through Parkway Chevrolet but did not get a response from them when I called.
    If anyone knows where I could get service from or any recommendations on how to proceed it would be appreciated.
    I am near The Woodlands, Texas which is in the Houston, Texas area.

This is a known problem, check the links. I had to replace the fuse block, the fuse blew not because of the load it was bad/lose connection in fuse block. If your handy with a soldiering iron you can replace the block with something off the shelf from local parts store

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The fuse block is like new. No loose connections. One thread suggested this may be caused by the T282 power transistor in the EM board. Will try to locate that.

Comment

Assuming you all are talking about a newer replaceable fuse holder. Check the end of the fuses for burn discoloration. If so dab the end of the fuse with a touch of di-electric grease. Good idea to pull the holder and use a touch of ei-electric grease on the spade terminals also. I use ABC 15 fuses that are available at the hardware stores. If blowing the fuse persists check the 4 wire block from the control module. 1-4 = 6.3 ohms (below 6 ohms is a bad or weak start winding) 2-4 = 2.7 ohms, 1-2 = 3.8 ohms. The #3 wire is ground and there should be no continuity to it from 1, 2 or 4. if the Q 2 tries to start but blows the fuse, chances are the compression module is seized.

Comment

The 15 amp fuses are OK. They are the original in the original holders. No signs of burn discoloration. It's the 0.63 amp fuse that is blowing.

Comment

Checked the resistance from the control module (four wires labeled "motor" on circuit board) 1-4 = 6.9 ohms, 2-4 = 2.8 ohms, 1-2 = 3.9 ohms. Looks good there. Disconnected all external wires from electronics board including capacitor wires, put in a new fuse and restored power. The 630 mA fuse blew indicating (to me) the problem is within the circuit board.

Comment

If you or someone you know is an electronics service person, you can look for a likely ground of a component. If not it sounds like a new EM is due.

Comment

I have an electronics engineer who is familiar with circuit boards coming this Saturday. After describing the issue and the response to a similar problem on another thread by slctech, the engineer said part availability will be the challenge. Have a call into NatG CNG Solutions for a replacement board as a backup.

If anyone knows how to contact slctech please advise as he has indicated he has the parts and can also repair this problem. So far no response to my pm, to him.

Comment

Working...
                X