Installing an FMQ2-Q36 in Southern CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an FMQ2-Q36 in Southern CA

I'm currently on my second Phill unit; my first one died at 5000 hours. The re-manufactured Phill ofered to existing Fuelmaker customers that I am currently using will reach 6000 hours in about 16 months. At that time I was thinking about maybe switching over to a FMQ2-36 since it is more cost effective in the long run. I live in Anaheim Hills, in an HOA, so permitting is likely to be more involved due to the outside installation requiring HOA approval. Does anyone have any experience with installing an FM2-Q36 in Southern California? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
    Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
    Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Re: Installing an FMQ2-Q36 in Southern CA

you likely would need to add a (removable) cover so it is not viewable from the street. And it has all the clearances and posts. But that would be the case for any installation, so you cannot drive into the unit.

Comment

Just need to talk to the homeowners assoc and get a feel for how strict they are going to be.
      Sometimes a plant in front of the unit will do, sometimes a pony wall stuccoed to match the house. Sometimes you might end up with the FuelMaker behind the fence and a remote panel mounted on the side of the house to reach the vehicle. If the gate is close to the vehicle, some people just put the FuelMaker behind the gate and put the fill hose over the top.
      Lots of directions you can go.
      Dave Clement

Comment

I think of my FM-Q2-36 as I would home furniture; buy it once and use it the rest of your life + some maintenance costs now and then. Oh, and you might also consider getting a remote panel to fill inside the garage (the FM must be outside, however).
        I did not know you could install a remote panel and fuel in the garage with an outdoor FM2-Q36. How much cost does this add to the set-up? How far from the unit can the remote panel be installed? Thanks, Adrian
        Adrian

Silver 2012 Toyota Prius

Comment

Sorry to contradict you John, Indoor fueling with a FMQ VRA is only for commercial purposes with a lot of added equipment to qualify for NFPA 52 guidelines.
          The only FuelMaker equipment authorized to fuel in a residential garage at any time is a Phill HRA.

We have indoor FuelMakers for commercial fueling such as forklifts and ice rinks, but only Phill is for indoor residential.

The residential remote panels we install are still outside for outdoor fueling, and get the actual Fuelmaker out of sight to keep everyone happy and is less intrusive on the neighborhood. I have a photo of mine in the photo gallery, in a HOA it would be around the corner on the side of the garage and usually painted to match the house.

(Note- Its easier to avoid Home Owner Associations if at all possible when looking for a home that will have natural gas fueling, it also saves time and money if the electric and gas service are on the garage side of the house when you are looking to move)
          Dave Clement

Comment

Dave, the gas and electric are on the right side of my garage (when looking from the driveway at the house). There is a large bush that would completely block the view so the FM would not be visible from the street if installed right next to the gas meter and breaker panel.

1.How much does the remote panel add to the installation cost? (it would be about 10 feet from the unit, installed in the front of the garage)

2. What foot print is necessary to install the FM2-Q36? (2ftX2ft?)

3. Is there a FM VRA dealer for Southern Ca? I'm interested in a used one, which I could also get from ebay, or I could buy it from you in Az if you have any used ones.
            Last edited by Adrian; 04-09-2008, 04:46 PM. Reason: forgot one question
            Adrian

Silver 2012 Toyota Prius

Comment

Call Larry at Gas Equipment Systems, He is the FuelMaker Dealer in Southern California.
              We try to be considerate of each others dealer territories.
              Your best bet for a used FM is Ebay or Craig's list.
              The unit mounts to concrete or in absence a 24" X 24 " concrete pad.
              The remote panel will add considerably to the cost.
              All the parts to add a remote panel come to about an additional $3000.00 with using the fill hose and nozzle over from the used unit.
              All the fueling equipment must be at least 36" from any openings to the residence, such as doors and windows, the gas regulator and your electric service. There may be stricter local codes in your area.
              Dave Clement

Comment

The FM rp for So Cal is Gas Equipment Systems Inc., The same folks that built my station. (909) 466-6920. You could end up with Bruce Buckner, Jeff Lucero or even Larry Ozier, the owner. Good luck with them though. They just picked up 4 contracts from the state and the last time they were here they only had 2 crews. My station upgrade is coming up next month or so, so their pretty over booked.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Dave and Curtis,
                  Thank you for the advice and information. I now have about 1 year (before my 2nd Phill gets close to its 6000 hr service life) to find a good deal on a used FMQ2-36 and the information on permits required for my home to install it.
                  Adrian
                  Adrian

Silver 2012 Toyota Prius

Comment

I've heard that Orange County makes it difficult to impossible to install a gas compressor. Maybe they've gotten better, but I would start trying to pull a permit first and worry about buying the equipment later. I think Murphy has an FMQ or two available.
                    02 GX
                    01 GX
                    03 Crown Vic
                    06 GX
                    Home Fueler

Comment

Hopefully it will be a slam dunk since they already have a Phill.
                      Dave Clement

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
                        I'm currently on my second Phill unit; my first one died at 5000 hours. The re-manufactured Phill ofered to existing Fuelmaker customers that I am currently using will reach 6000 hours in about 16 months. At that time I was thinking about maybe switching over to a FMQ2-36 since it is more cost effective in the long run. I live in Anaheim Hills, in an HOA, so permitting is likely to be more involved due to the outside installation requiring HOA approval. Does anyone have any experience with installing an FM2-Q36 in Southern California? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian who did the uninstall of your expired Phill and the reinstall of the rebuilt unit? Where you happy with their service and if you don't mind me asking what was the labor charges for the above work?

Thanks,
                        Loran
                        -------------
                        moore101
                        2000 Toyota Camry CNG
                        FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
                          I've heard that Orange County makes it difficult to impossible to install a gas compressor. Maybe they've gotten better, but I would start trying to pull a permit first and worry about buying the equipment later. I think Murphy has an FMQ or two available.
                          My installation (PHILL) went pretty smooth, no difficulty at all with either city or OCFA.

Comment

Did you happen to live in Tustin?

There was someone that lived in Tustin that was having a Phill installed. My plan checker/Inspector for the city and I have been talking about Phill for a long time. He showed me what the installer was submitting for plans. Whoever the installer was he's a total idiot that does not know how to submit plans to the city. All he wanted to do was give the city the Fuelmaker installation instructions but would not present anything else. It's not like they needed a 40 page blueprint but at least a drawing of the garage showing the location of the equipment and venting.
                            John

Comment

Loran,
                              All my Phill work to date has been done by Dr. Drain, (909) 210-4731. I'm happy with the work quality, the timeliness of the work, the good communication. At the time when I was shopping around to install my first Phill, he was the least expensive bid ($800!). Since then, he's raised prices along with everyone else. I don't remember exactly what he charged to take the old Phill off the Wall and install the new one, but it seemed expensive for 45 minutes of work done by one person (it was over $200). Either way, it seems that when it comes to working on a Phill being willing to accept higher than industry accepted charges for similar work (HVAC) is somehow expected. I'm tired of it. That's why I want to switch to an FM2-Q36.
                              Adrian

Added: I found the receipt, the work described above was $325 for less than an hour of work! I thought only lawyers charge these kind of rates.
                              Last edited by Adrian; 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM. Reason: Extra info
                              Adrian

Silver 2012 Toyota Prius

Comment

Working...
                              X