Two part question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two part question...

from what I read on this forum I'm still not sure if I can get one of these hoses and if I can transfer from a 300 cu ft tankful of 2400 psi methane to a tank in a Cavalier that I am thinking of purchasing. Reason being there are only two stations here in CT.
    Attached Files

Re: Two part question...

You would only need one hose to transfer the from the 2400 psi tank. The second hose in the set-up pictured is a vent hose; if you don't have it secured it can wip and smack up long side the port running light

Also, if the 2400 psi tank is properly mounted in a vehicle, you might have problems transfering from one fueling fitting to another because of the required check valve that should be in the source vehicle. If the source tank is just a tank you should be ok.

Be careful

Larrycng

Comment

I was wondering what the GGE of 300cu ft of 2400 psi methane is?

Comment

C3H8Sales,
        About 2.4 GGEs.
        What part of CT are you in? I've been seeing and hearing more interest in CT as of late.
        It may be time to answer the call and get the Nutmeg State on the ball.
        As for the hose, I've got several new and used. What are you trying to fuel from?
        Last edited by cnghal; 06-21-2009, 01:10 PM.
        Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Northwest CT.
          I drove by the one Hartford CNG station today and it was $2.99 GGE.

From Wikipedia "One GGE of natural gas is 126.67 cubic feet. This volume of natural gas has the same energy content as one US gallon of gasoline.

One GGE of CNG pressurized at 2,400 psi is 0.77 cubic feet. This volume of CNG at 2,400 psi has the same energy content as one US gallon of gasoline"

Wikipedia can be wrong and/or misleading. I just found with further reading that the above later part makes more sense when I try to figure out a cost of a GGE.

Is this correct... 300 cu ft of CNG x 160 cu ft ng (2400 psi / 14.696 sea level psi)= 48000 cu ft ng. Divide 48000 by the 127. cu ft per GGE and I get around 377 GGE from the compressed tankful?

Comment

C3H8Sales,
            You've come upon one of the fun things about this business, the math.
            A GGE of natural gas weighs 5.66 lbs and is, depending on BTU content, somewhere between 124 and 130 SCF.
            The pressure doesn't matter except to figure how many GGEs can fit in a specific vessel. Vessel capacity is usually measured in liters or gallons of water volume. Pressure then determines how many SCF will fit in the vessel.
            When you said you have a 300 CF tank, is that the empty volume of the tank or is the tank holding 300 SCF of CNG @ 2,400 PSI ? Is this tank a CNG bottle for marine use?

Comment

300 cu ft of 100% methane at 2400psi for industrial use. Not sure of the btu content.

Comment

C3H8Sales,
                I'm sure if we're talking about a welding bottle it's only about 2-1/2 GGEs.
                When equalizing between two tanks (assuming your vehicle is empty), you will only get about 1 GGE to transfer.
                Only other problem I see is, does the methane have a mercaptan odorant for safety?

Comment

Yes it's a welding tank and for about $125 it would be some $50. a GGE
                  Thanks, Evan

Comment

Working...
                  X