Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streamline Alternative Fuel Vehicle Conversions Act Introduced

From NGV America:

This week, Sens. Roger Wicker (R-MI) and James Inhofe (R-OK), and Reps. Dan Boren (R-OK) and Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) introduced the Streamline Alternative Fuel Vehicle Conversions Act. (S. 1809 and HR 3431). The legislation would simply and streamline EPA’s emissions certification process for aftermarket fuel conversion systems. During the bill’s introduction, Sen. Inhofe noted that the bill “makes critical changes so that vehicle conversions can become a commonplace option for all Americans. By simplifying this compliance process, we will not only incentivize conversion manufacturers to offer more systems for additional vehicle makes and models, but will eventually reduce the costs of these conversion systems for interested car owners – perhaps by hundreds and even thousands of dollars”. Specifically the bill would:

• Eliminate the need for subsequent yearly recertification after a system has already been certified, making it no longer necessary to resubmit data to EPA for a system that has not changed

• Direct the EPA to establish criteria that would cover several different yet similar vehicle makes, models and model years on a single certificate of conformity using the test data from a single vehicle

• Instruct the EPA to allow the submission of previous testing data if a vehicle or the conversion system has not changed in a way which would affect compliance

• Direct the EPA to promulgate regulations to help conversion system manufacturers comply with potentially difficult on-board diagnostics (OBD) requirements and compatibility.

• Clarify the treatment of vehicles which are beyond their useful life as defined by the EPA as long as the conversion system manufacturer or the converter is able to demonstrate that the emissions would not worsen due to a conversion.

Re: Streamline Alternative Fuel Vehicle Conversions Act Introduced

Great new, I just hope that the same can be done with CARB.

Comment

Originally posted by cngmike View Post
      Great new, I just hope that the same can be done with CARB.
      That was my first thought as well...
      1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
      2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

What can WE (especially living in CA) do to promote the same for our legislatures?
        is the regular process fine (letting the house draft a law) or would it make sense to collect signatures for a Proposition for the next ballot?
        To have a law to instruct CARB to do the same or better as EPA.

Comment

The normal legislative process might be required, however, I think this is something that might be able to be changed via the board itself. I don't believe there are any laws governing the specifics of CARBs rulings, the law just gives them the authority to designate and enforce air pollution measures. That said, i doubt we'll get any traction with CARB. I've found their members to be incompetent, at best, and therefore, the legislature would probably be required to force their hand.

What might be a good idea is to use the angle of it helping small businesses in California to cut costs. Especially if the federal changes pass (which would allow out of California to enjoy cost savings that California's couldn't). The next governor (whoever it is) will most likely be VERY pressured to bring business back to California, and it will probably be the single biggest point in the upcoming debates.

Comment

John, could you post a link where I could read the text of the bill, Thanks, Jim
            Jim Younkin
            www.younkincng.com

Comment

If you google Streamline Alternative Fuel Vehicle Conversions Act there is all kinds of info out there now. I see the propane industry is also applauding the effort.
              http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                This week, Sens. Roger Wicker (R-MI) and James Inhofe (R-OK), and Reps. Dan Boren (R-OK) and Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) introduced the Streamline Alternative Fuel Vehicle Conversions Act. (S. 1809 and HR 3431).
                wow. It's about time.

What I think that is even more amazing is that Inhofe is involved! At least he is not grinding his anti-global warming ax and actually getting something productive done in congress.

Only when the cost of the conversions come down to a reasonable level is when we all will have made progress on this issue.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                  That was my first thought as well...
                  Me too. One certification for the US period! None of this EPA can't buy the car in California BS!

Comment

Certainly someone on this chat board is well-connected in Sacramento? Our most recent EPA-certified conversion of the GM 6 Liter HDV platform proves:

* CO2 (greenhouse gas) emissions cut by 28%
                    * CO cut over a half
                    * NOx cut by 70%
                    * Fuel economy improvement by 14%

Spreadsheet attached
                    Attached Files

Comment

The problem is, I've actually talked to one of the CARB members about CNG, and they seem to think it is old technology that is past it's time.. seriously... it's a rediculous concept, but it's true, if they can't get hydrogen buzz word kick-backs, they aren't interested.

Comment

Lobby your senator/rep to get this rolled into the NAT GAS ACT.

Comment

Working...
                        X