Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone built a small LNG vaporizer ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone built a small LNG vaporizer ?

LNG is now available in a few places in Los Angeles county. I'm thinking about building a small scale range extender , like 2 gallons or so of LNG. Any ideas if this could be done on an experimental basis for a few thousand $

It would be for a fuel injected vehicle, so the output would have to stay above 50 psig when in serrvice under load.

Re: Has anyone built a small LNG vaporizer ?

Not sure about building one yourself, but you should be able to purchase a vaporizer of any size required. As for the pressure, that would be controlled by the pressure regulator, and not really the vaporizer.
    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Not sure what you'd want with a 2 gallon range extender. LNG is stored in a double, superisolated tank and you need a vaporizer. Lots of stuff to carry around for 2 gallons of LNG. And as range extender: you can't carry it around for more than a day or so since it's just a 2 gallon bottle. An extra CNG bottle is a lot easier.

p.s. The economizer setting regulates the minimum tank pressure.

Comment

Best estimates I have is 2 gallons of LNG is about the same as 6 GGE of cng. Even with insulation , a 2 gallon liquid tank is very compact.

The plan would be on long range trips only, use the LNG first , then the cng. Don't want any vapor coming of a PRV due to pressure buildup of stored LNG.

It would double the useful range of a GX. On the GX , the space where the gasoline tank would go is vacant. An insulated LNG tank does not have to be shaped as a cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
          An insulated LNG tank does not have to be shaped as a cylinder.
          I only know cylinder shaped LNG tanks. Note that these tanks will have to be able to resist some pressure (~150 psi).

Comment

Interesting idea. You also would be dealing with cryogenic liquids. I wonder if anyone would really let you use their dispensers.....

Comment

If forum member COWBOY was out here on the west coast , I'm sure he would have a beta test version is service already.

Comment

http://www.inl.gov/lng/projects/fueltanks.shtml

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Very, very cool. No pun intended...

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
                    If forum member COWBOY was out here on the west coast , I'm sure he would have a beta test version is service already.
                    Nonsense, I'm sure if Cowboy lived out here, he'd find better ways to spend his time, and wouldnt' be building anything (y'know.. like the rest of us).

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                      Nonsense, I'm sure if Cowboy lived out here, he'd find better ways to spend his time, and wouldnt' be building anything (y'know.. like the rest of us).
                      cant blame you for not building toys with all the beach babes running around out there to look at you do still have them I hope? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        cant blame you for not building toys with all the beach babes running around out there to look at you do still have them I hope? LOL
                        Oh yes cowboy.. we do still have them..

Comment

I keep reading about the LNG pressure release as the fuel warms. For a truck that is operating the majority of time that is OK. For commuters the down time would vent quite a bit, no?

Since CH4 is 20x more a GHG in the unburned state, doesn't the pollution factor rise with temperature and release? I don't think LNG can be used on a wide spread basis if the raw gas has any chance of being released into the atmosphere.

Comment

This is also the concern of most, and the reason LNGis really much mor suited to routine fleet use. LNG vehicles, for one, cannot safely be parked in a residential garage.

Comment

Yes, it's not really a great solution for commuters. It shouldn't be too bad to let the car stand over the weekend, but a long weekend is too long. If you want to park in your garage, connecting to a vent line would be required (or ventilation). You might be able to vent it into your household gas line (need a pressure release and checkvalve on that then though). We're not talking about huge amounts of gas. Just about enough to run the pilot flame on your central heating system.
                              Last edited by Gerben; 08-30-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X